Beggars at Shoppers

Suzette

Fan Dancer
In my last visits to Shoppers, I've had people approach me for a hand out. Once was when exiting the store, there were a group of women by the exit asking for money. I told them no and just kept going as they were not in my bee line to my car. The second time, a man followed me to my car, came around it and had me cornered by my car so I gave him three dollars. He made a bee line to the other side of San Soucsi Plaza where the liquor store it. NOW, I cruise the parking lot for people loitering. Is it against the law to beg for money in a parking lot? I've also seen a fellow many time begging for money where Rt 5 goes into Mattawoman Beantown Rd. He always seems to be there so now I stay in the far right lane when I travel through there. Has anyone had any experience with beggars around here and what would be the proper response??? Thank you!

Goldenhawk

There are some obvious scammers mostly working gas stations in the area; I think they depend on the rapid turnover for people to not notice they're hanging there for hours. If I'm certain they're scammers, I will just avoid them, or politely say no. If I'm not sure, and feel like I should do something, I offer to accompany them into the closest store and buy them a meal. I have yet for a single person to take me up on that, which tells me that for the most part they're not really hungry and they just want money for their drug of choice.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
bitchface.jpg

This works wonders for me.

Makavide

Not too talkative
The second time, a man followed me to my car, came around it and had me cornered by my car so I gave him three dollars.

That sounds more like a "mugging" than looking for a hand out. Next time, call the police and report it as such.

glhs837

Power with Control
Was the guy on a bike perhaps? Wife and I took one of the small dogs to the Wag and Wash about 7ish a week or so back. I hopped out and took the dog to the grass by the door, while the wife did something in the Jeep. Heard a voice and turned as a guy on a bike came up to her from the Joannes end of the lot asking if she was doing well, and saying that he wasn't. Sort of had her trapped against the Jeep, she was standing next to it, and he was about 2-3 feet away. She said my name since she wasn't sure if I was aware of him since I was 20 feet away. He glanced over, saw me, said "Have a nice night, Mister and Missus" and pedaled off pretty quick. Nothing overtly threatening, but had I not been there, it might have seemed much more so for her. Had my threat scan working overtime though. Maybe mid-late 30s, black guy.

NTNG

Last week had a guy and gal in the Lowes parking lot trying to sell me a $100.00 Lowes gift card for $50.00. when I said sure, after we go to customer service and make sure its activated and not shop lifted, they suddenly changed their minds...

Suzette

Fan Dancer
No, he wasn't on a bike and he was a scruffy looking white man a little on the short side. He told me he lives in a tent behind K Mart and had been walking all day and was hungry. I knew he just wanted money for booze so wasn't surprised when he started walking to the liquor store. I followed him in my car and noticed that he cornered someone else who was getting out of their car at the post office.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That sounds more like a "mugging" than looking for a hand out. Next time, call the police and report it as such.

Sounds like it to me, too. And it's still not too late to report it to the police.

When you give these people money, it just encourages them to target others and threaten them.

Clem72

Was the guy on a bike perhaps? Wife and I took one of the small dogs to the Wag and Wash about 7ish a week or so back. I hopped out and took the dog to the grass by the door, while the wife did something in the Jeep. Heard a voice and turned as a guy on a bike came up to her from the Joannes end of the lot asking if she was doing well, and saying that he wasn't. Sort of had her trapped against the Jeep, she was standing next to it, and he was about 2-3 feet away. She said my name since she wasn't sure if I was aware of him since I was 20 feet away. He glanced over, saw me, said "Have a nice night, Mister and Missus" and pedaled off pretty quick. Nothing overtly threatening, but had I not been there, it might have seemed much more so for her. Had my threat scan working overtime though. Maybe mid-late 30s, black guy.

Saw possibly that same guy hassling a guy/gal through the window of their car in front of Asahi. I walked directly past him with my wife and must have gave him a serious enough look that he didn't even approach us.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't give to people who ask. I give to people who try.

Example: Woman counting change to pay for $6 worth of gas. When she walks away, tell the cashier to fill her tank.

Sign: Will work for food. These are usually sincere, and I'll go buy them a sandwich and take it back to them. I've never had a single one refuse the food.

Give, without expecting any return.

Clem72

Am I the only one that is much more inclined to be charitable if the person just asks if I can spare a dollar? You give me a spiel about how you ran out of gas on your way to visit your sick mother, or are trapped in southern Maryland without bus money back home and there is no chance I will support your scam. Seriously, "Hay man, can you spare a buck" is 100 times more effective.

pelers

Had something like this happen to me at the Giant parking lot at night a few weeks back. Guy followed me out to my car, but I managed to get my door between us before hopping in and running away.

Is pepper spray legal in MD?

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't give to people who ask. I give to people who try.

Example: Woman counting change to pay for $6 worth of gas. When she walks away, tell the cashier to fill her tank.

Sign: Will work for food. These are usually sincere, and I'll go buy them a sandwich and take it back to them. I've never had a single one refuse the food.

Give, without expecting any return.

Yep, had a guy hit me up for food, not money at BK one night. When I said we could go in and get him something, he asked if he could also get something for a friend. Went in with him and got them some food. I don't mind the sob story ones in parking lots or gas stations as long as they are not aggressive. But once you get into a woman's personal space in a parking lot, that's a whole different deal. and yes, I'm a sexist... :)

luvmygdaughters

If someone approaches me in a manner that I feel threatened, I'm calling the police and telling that person, in a very loud voice, to back off!! If you allow them to intimidate you, either by mannerisms or speech, they will never stop begging. I know that sounds cruel and harsh, but, there are places where people can go for a meal, a place to spend the night, really, help of any kind. Those that are begging for money, imo, are definitely looking for there next fix.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Had something like this happen to me at the Giant parking lot at night a few weeks back. Guy followed me out to my car, but I managed to get my door between us before hopping in and running away.

If you can buy it without the politics, buy it.....and carry it.

PeoplesElbow

Had a guy tell me he needed $2 more for a bottle of mad dog, I told him I appreciate his honesty and gave it to him.

glhs837

Power with Control

According to this, yes.

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Pepper-Spray-Laws-Restrictions-sp-6.html

And you end up in the conundrum of your chosen product having enough, and potent enough, spray that you can really nail them, and keep nailing them while you get some distance. And if possible get yourself an extra so you can practice with it and make sure you understand its mechanism cold so you are not fumbling, the spray pattern and reach. Would truly suck to keep this thing in your purse, and come the time, you cant deploy it in time, or you do, and your aim is off, and they catch just enough to be pissed off. And most importantly, have the mental prep of having a disengagement plan. Once you use it, and this person is disabled, where are you going to go, what is you next step?

Also, backsprays a bitC%, so being cognizant of wind direction is pretty important.

FED_UP

I bet this is the dude I gave money to a couple of years ago; slender, black, short hair always on a bike, and yea about 30s. If so he has been begging for years. I saw him in the liquor store near popeyes in Lexington park area one day, pants all wet, and it was not raining either. I have seen him a Shoppers recently, cornered some lady near her car door. I managed to avoid him. He looks able enough to work, talks to get on your good side while begging.

But on a good note two ladies were at Foodline counting change and putting things back told them I would pay for the rest, she asked is it ok to give me a hug.