Beggars at Shoppers

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nothing overtly threatening, but had I not been there, it might have seemed much more so for her. Had my threat scan working overtime though. Maybe mid-late 30s, black guy.

seems kind of intimidating ....

Kinnakeet

In my last visits to Shoppers, I've had people approach me for a hand out. Once was when exiting the store, there were a group of women by the exit asking for money. I told them no and just kept going as they were not in my bee line to my car. The second time, a man followed me to my car, came around it and had me cornered by my car so I gave him three dollars. He made a bee line to the other side of San Soucsi Plaza where the liquor store it. NOW, I cruise the parking lot for people loitering. Is it against the law to beg for money in a parking lot? I've also seen a fellow many time begging for money where Rt 5 goes into Mattawoman Beantown Rd. He always seems to be there so now I stay in the far right lane when I travel through there. Has anyone had any experience with beggars around here and what would be the proper response??? Thank you!
FOLLOWING YOU TO YOUR CAR IS 1 REASON WE NEED THE RIGHT TO CONCEAL CARRY WITH A GUN YOU WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM AT ALL WHEN YOU PULL IT OUT AND PUT IT IN HIS/HER FACE! :larry:

Kinnakeet

Had something like this happen to me at the Giant parking lot at night a few weeks back. Guy followed me out to my car, but I managed to get my door between us before hopping in and running away.

Is pepper spray legal in MD?
Everything is illegal in the peoples republic of Maryland.

Kinnakeet

According to this, yes.

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Pepper-Spray-Laws-Restrictions-sp-6.html

And you end up in the conundrum of your chosen product having enough, and potent enough, spray that you can really nail them, and keep nailing them while you get some distance. And if possible get yourself an extra so you can practice with it and make sure you understand its mechanism cold so you are not fumbling, the spray pattern and reach. Would truly suck to keep this thing in your purse, and come the time, you cant deploy it in time, or you do, and your aim is off, and they catch just enough to be pissed off. And most importantly, have the mental prep of having a disengagement plan. Once you use it, and this person is disabled, where are you going to go, what is you next step?

Also, backsprays a bitC%, so being cognizant of wind direction is pretty important.
carry a gun and shoot to kill

glhs837

Power with Control
seems kind of intimidating ....

If I hadn't been there, she might have been more intimidated. Knowing I was about a second away, she was more annoyed. It was the sudden appearance as he came gliding in from the top of the lot on the bike and his proximity.

carry a gun and shoot to kill

Would be nice. Hell, might just start a business just to get the exemption.... :)

bilbur

Saw possibly that same guy hassling a guy/gal through the window of their car in front of Asahi. I walked directly past him with my wife and must have gave him a serious enough look that he didn't even approach us.

That guy tried to get money from me outside of Asahi. He followed me to my car and asked for $0.70. I gave him my standard answer of I don't carry cash I only use credit cards. There was 2 guys with bikes sitting on the curb outside of the restaurant. Only the one guy approached me. They both looked rough and even though they were not aggressive I was still annoyed. I don't like people that approach me for money. I give to multiple charities in the area but I refuse to give to 1 person to support their drug habit.

Clem72

That guy tried to get money from me outside of Asahi. He followed me to my car and asked for $0.70. I gave him my standard answer of I don't carry cash I only use credit cards. There was 2 guys with bikes sitting on the curb outside of the restaurant. Only the one guy approached me. They both looked rough and even though they were not aggressive I was still annoyed. I don't like people that approach me for money. I give to multiple charities in the area but I refuse to give to 1 person to support their drug habit.

Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that giving to a legitimate charity or well known organization is the best move. I have on more than one occasion attempted to personally help a homeless person get back on their feet only to have it blow up in my face. Some people need organizational resources to properly help them, and some just simply need to be left alone.

luvmygdaughters

Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that giving to a legitimate charity or well known organization is the best move. I have on more than one occasion attempted to personally help a homeless person get back on their feet only to have it blow up in my face. Some people need organizational resources to properly help them, and some just simply need to be left alone.

I agree. As I stated in an earlier post, there are plenty of resources available to those who truly desire help. Shelters, food pantries, medical clinics, social services, etc. Those who are approaching individuals begging for money are looking for some quick change to get their next fix or drink. The store owners should call the authorities to remove them from the premises.

Goldenhawk

I agree. As I stated in an earlier post, there are plenty of resources available to those who truly desire help. Shelters, food pantries, medical clinics, social services, etc. Those who are approaching individuals begging for money are looking for some quick change to get their next fix or drink. The store owners should call the authorities to remove them from the premises.

Most law enforcement officers and store owners know the score, and would be quick to run them off if notified. It hurts their businesses, as people begin to avoid areas plagued by this behavior.

I think I have compassion for hard-luck people. But I don't want to waste my money either. So offering to go buy them a meal is my approach. But nobody's ever accepted. They want money for their wants, not their needs.

edinsomd

I got hit up at the old McKay's on GMR with the out of gas spiel. Wasn't buying it, and got a bad vibe from the pan handler. I told him sorry, all my funds were tied up in cash and walked away.

Jennalynn

I generally give. It's not that I believe their stories... My challenge is whether or not I give when I can. Their challenge is what they do with it... That being said, I did have a scary situation at Walmart on 235 a couple of years ago. I gave some money to a man that asked. He leaned in closer to me with anger and bitterness and said, "Is that all I get?" He was frightening... I got in my car and left... On a lighter note, a guy approached me at Shoppers, and started to tell me a sad story... I interrupted him and said, "I don't need to hear a story... If you need - just ask..." and I forked over a few bucks. One other lady came up to me in the Giant parking lot, and started telling me her sad story... Something about needing gas money to visit her son in the army, stationed in another state. She started telling me about her 3 kids, and eventually ended up with 5! LOL... I told her, "I thought you had 3 children..." She looked at me like she had no idea what she had told me! YUP - I handed her some money... For me - I don't know their lives... who they are, what they need. I only know that when they ask, me heart tells me to give. I am not rich, in fact, I am anything but. We all have our reasons. Each person approaches the issue of giving money (or food) coming from their own backgrounds and challenges. It's not a question of "right"... or "wrong"... We are simply: Different

Clem72

I was once approached outside a store around 10pm by a lady with a young girl who asked if I could give her a ride to her exes house to pick up her daughters school supplies she had left there. I thought it innocuous enough, but once we got to the house she left her daughter in my car and went into the house for a good 20 minutes and came back empty handed. She then claimed she needed a ride home, and as they were already in my car and I didn't want to put the little girl out at what I now assumed to be a crack-house, I abliged. But once again it was not their destination and mommy left the girl in the car with me again while she apparently got high at the new location. If I had had a cell phone at the time I would likely have called CPS or the police, but I was not about to drive off with the girl and get accused of kidnapping. When the woman finally made it back to the vehicle, I told her we were going back to the store where I picked them up where they would BOTH get out of my car and that she was very lucky I didn't just drive them to the police station (I was new to the area so I didn't actually know where the barracks in Leonardtown was). As I stated before, I am burned out on trying to directly help people.

I generally give. It's not that I believe their stories... My challenge is whether or not I give when I can. Their challenge is what they do with it... That being said, I did have a scary situation at Walmart on 235 a couple of years ago. I gave some money to a man that asked. He leaned in closer to me with anger and bitterness and said, "Is that all I get?" He was frightening... I got in my car and left... On a lighter note, a guy approached me at Shoppers, and started to tell me a sad story... I interrupted him and said, "I don't need to hear a story... If you need - just ask..." and I forked over a few bucks. One other lady came up to me in the Giant parking lot, and started telling me her sad story... Something about needing gas money to visit her son in the army, stationed in another state. She started telling me about her 3 kids, and eventually ended up with 5! LOL... I told her, "I thought you had 3 children..." She looked at me like she had no idea what she had told me! YUP - I handed her some money... For me - I don't know their lives... who they are, what they need. I only know that when they ask, me heart tells me to give. I am not rich, in fact, I am anything but. We all have our reasons. Each person approaches the issue of giving money (or food) coming from their own backgrounds and challenges. It's not a question of "right"... or "wrong"... We are simply: Different

I used to be soft-hearted like you many years ago. But then I found out that nearly all of them are scammers. They beg for money all day, then drive home in their new car. Have non-reportable income rivaling my own. Or head right to the ABC. Got tired of just giving up my hard-earned money for them. If I'm approached in a parking lot or store, I make it clear they will not be getting anything. That's not to say I'm heartless. If I see someone struggling to pay at a checkout, I'll help them. If someone asks for money to buy food, I'll feed them. But I will not give them cash. Giving in to their pleas just propagates the problem and you'll see more and more panhandlers.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I used to be soft-hearted like you many years ago. But then I found out that nearly all of them are scammers. They beg for money all day, then drive home in their new car. Have non-reportable income rivaling my own. Or head right to the ABC. Got tired of just giving up my hard-earned money for them. If I'm approached in a parking lot or store, I make it clear they will not be getting anything. That's not to say I'm heartless. If I see someone struggling to pay at a checkout, I'll help them. If someone asks for money to buy food, I'll feed them. But I will not give them cash. Giving in to their pleas just propagates the problem and you'll see more and more panhandlers.
"Tell you what.....let's go get a pizza, or burger;" well, whatever you're closest to. Your offer might be declined; and if it is, you'll know the person just wanted money for booze, etc..

Roman

This story could have turned ugly in a million ways. I can't believe this lady left her child in a car with a man that she didn't even know.
I was once approached outside a store around 10pm by a lady with a young girl who asked if I could give her a ride to her exes house to pick up her daughters school supplies she had left there. I thought it innocuous enough, but once we got to the house she left her daughter in my car and went into the house for a good 20 minutes and came back empty handed. She then claimed she needed a ride home, and as they were already in my car and I didn't want to put the little girl out at what I now assumed to be a crack-house, I abliged. But once again it was not their destination and mommy left the girl in the car with me again while she apparently got high at the new location. If I had had a cell phone at the time I would likely have called CPS or the police, but I was not about to drive off with the girl and get accused of kidnapping. When the woman finally made it back to the vehicle, I told her we were going back to the store where I picked them up where they would BOTH get out of my car and that she was very lucky I didn't just drive them to the police station (I was new to the area so I didn't actually know where the barracks in Leonardtown was). As I stated before, I am burned out on trying to directly help people.

Restitution

I always like to make them earn the money with random trivia. I once had someone ask me for money at the Wawa and I said "I will give you a 20 if you can explain to me why the sky is blue... literally. Give me a scientific explanation of why the sky is blue."

I felt much better about NOT giving it to him when he walked away in defeat and pulled out his iPhone to search for the answer :lmao: