Begs A Good Question, I Think

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

Also makes me wonder what it is that's being sprayed.... I'm not an aviation fellow, but if it's airplane-type de-icer isn't it supposed to be re-captured (in that it is "environmentally problematic")?

--- End of line (MCP)

Chris0nllyn

It's hot water sprayed on them.

It's sort of old technology though as newer turbines have either blade coatings or heaters. Some companies are even using large drones.

Here's the report that image was taken from.

They walk through de-icing 10 turbines and the emissions released. See pages 24-26.
The helicopter consumes 178 litres / hour and emits about 450 kg CO2 / h. Total flying time for the assignment is: 1.6 + 4 * 3 = 13.6 flight hours.

The total distance travelled by truck and van in the examplewould be: 500 km + 50 km * 3 = 650 km. Fuel consumption for the truck is 0.28 l / km, calculated emissions is 0.76 kg CO2 / km.

The van, a VW Pickup, consumes 0.086 l / km, calculated emissions of 0.225 kg CO2 / km. The oil burner’s power output is 260 kW.Fuel consumption is approximately 30 l / h.

The incineration of 1m3 fuel oil produces about 2,661 kg of CO2 , providing 2,661 kg CO2 / litre fuel oil. The incineration of fuel oil produces about 69 kg CO2 / h at an output of 260 kW. It takes about 6 hours to heat 15m3 of water from 6˚ to 55˚. The total amount of water to heat for the example becomes 15m3 * 3 * 3 = 133m3. Total time to heat the water is 6 hours * 3 * 3 = 54h for the entire period.
Overall, it provides a release of about 1,100kg CO2 / turbine for the example above with ten turbines. De-icing should only be performed when there are high expectations for good wind access without the risk of icing.
When producing marginal electricity, emissions of CO2 are between 750-970 kg / h in a coal power plant to cover the shortfall of a standstill plant. With a gas turbine, the corresponding emissions are about 500 kg / h. To reduce the emission of CO2, the method to de-ice the wind turbines by helicopter, is a better option than not doing anything at all. This is both from a financial and environmental perspective, as the wind turbines otherwise would have been at a standstill with no production at all.
After about 4.2 hours of production, these turbines – with 33% availability – have delivered the energy required for de-icing. This means that benefits of de-icing with this method are greater, as it should only be implemented if expecting good wind access over the next few days.

Last edited:

transporter

It's hot water sprayed on them.

It's sort of old technology though as newer turbines have either blade coatings or heaters. Some companies are even using large drones.

Here's the report that image was taken from.

They walk through de-icing 10 turbines and the emissions released. See pages 24-26.

How DARE you post facts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
If this comment was directed to me I don't understand your point or meaning, please enlighten me if so.
I'm guessing you must have some of the forum's "contributors" on ignore/mute?

Update: I noticed from another thread that, yup, this is so. The rectal inversion issue.

--- End of line (MCP)

Grumpy

If this comment was directed to me I don't understand your point or meaning, please enlighten me if so.
I'm thinking you have the tranny on ignore, that was directed at it. Edit - I see that Yooper said the same

Last edited:

Hijinx

Hard to understand why the whole forum doesn't have tranny on ignore.
It took me a long time but I finally had all I could take.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Hard to understand why the whole forum doesn't have tranny on ignore.
It took me a long time but I finally had all I could take.

I'm thinking very seriously about doing that myself. I generally like to see both sides of a conversation, but the child like insults are getting old.

Hijinx

I'm thinking very seriously about doing that myself. I generally like to see both sides of a conversation, but the child like insults are getting old.
I love to see both sides ,but without all of the bad mouthing and name calling, and I like to see a side that makes sense and not just Trump hate.
It has a one track mind that is off the rails.