"Being gay is an attribute; not an accomplishment."

BOP

Bruce Bawer is a gay man, an author, and a gay rights activist whose work I came across in 1993, when this book was published: A Place at the Table: The Gay Individual in American Society. As the wiki article notes, the book, and Bawer, were mauled by both the left and the right, which reviews I read at the time, and told me (as a Libertarian) that he was probably onto something. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Bawer

No doubt it was on a reading list for some course in college (religious studies, maybe), because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have hit my awareness any other way.

I think Megyn Kelley mentions Bawer in her pronoun monologue; specifically, this quote:

For my part, I wish Pride would go away. We’ve won equality. Why should gays continue to be singled out, even for the purpose of being celebrated?
And for what are we being celebrated, anyway? I don’t expect to be applauded for being lefthanded. Being gay is an attribute, not an accomplishment.

herb749

The 1st 3 letter people now want to be left alone according to posts on Twitter. Its the T people that are stirring up the trouble. How soon does the P for pedafile people want to be added to the alphabet people. Many of the fake trans are likely already there.

Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

I guess overall I have no problem with pride parades - perhaps that gay man felt they'd achieved enough equality to not NEED a celebration. Certainly ethnic groups and racial groups have their own events where they want people to feel proud of their heritage or background, in a culture that is dominated by another one. Hence, parades in this nation over Polish, Italian or Irish heritage.

Why not?

The few gay people I know - they don't like the ostentatious, flamboyant stuff. They'd just as soon live their own life quietly and respected by their friends and family.

Clem72

The few gay people I know - they don't like the ostentatious, flamboyant stuff. They'd just as soon live their own life quietly and respected by their friends and family.

I thought it was odd, but not really bothersome when Richard Simmons level gay was the level 10. Somehow they found a way to dial it up to 27.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
... Somehow they found a way to dial it up to 27.
Maybe even 50.

tesla-model-3-lgbtq-pride-1a.jpg

mitzi

Over the years I've had many gay coworkers. I got along great with them, their private life is not my business. Same with some friends and family members. They live their lives and don't wave the gay flag around announcing they're gay.
I still don't like that the rainbow 🌈 has been hijacked for the Pride thing lol.

rio

I still don't like that the rainbow 🌈 has been hijacked for the Pride thing lol.
Same! I went on a school field trip a few weeks ago where we were outside in the woods. I was going to wear an old ball cap to keep ticks away. Then I realized it has a prominent rainbow on it and just couldn't make myself wear it in public!

Hijinx

Same! I went on a school field trip a few weeks ago where we were outside in the woods. I was going to wear an old ball cap to keep ticks away. Then I realized it has a prominent rainbow on it and just couldn't make myself wear it in public!
Ball caps don't keep ticks away.

ontheriver

I try to stay away from touting my opinion about this subject. But, since this new world wants to shove it down my throat, I DO have an opinion. It's simple really. What you do in your bedroom, with whoever you chose to do it, should NOT be for everyone. Live your life. If you need validation from strangers, you have issues only you can work through. Love who you love.

Just keep me and mine out of it. NO CHILD should have to see it or try to understand it.
Rock on and at least try to be adult about it.

Rant over.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I have a beautiful rainbow-colored delta-wing kite that I used to fly back in the 70s. I don't dare fly it now.

ontheriver

I have a beautiful rainbow-colored delta-wing kite that I used to fly back in the 70s. I don't dare fly it now.
See, I'm not playing any of that. I like rainbows. If it means something different to anyone else, that would be their thing. NOT mine. YMMW

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I am getting a lot of upvotes on Twitter for my observation that sexuality is a personality factor, not an accomplishment.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As a child, I remember hearing that the rainbow was God's way of showing the he would never flood the earth again, such as he did in Noah's time. Leave it to the sexual deviants to steal it for their own purpose.