Belize

hereforgood

Anyone been to belize? Did you go to the cays or the jungle? Would you go again? I am day dreaming about warm weather. :banana:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
hereforgood said:
Anyone been to belize? Did you go to the cays or the jungle? Would you go again? I am day dreaming about warm weather. :banana:
it was one of our stops on a cruise 3 years ago. The only thing nice about it was the area the ship took us too. (ususal tourist stop) it is very poor, dirty and just not someplace I would go on vacation.

Suz

morganj614 said:
Why would they want to d? It's a dirt poor country. no running water, no heat, cardboard homes (for real). There may be some better area's but I sure didn't see them when I was there.......

Wizzo

I heard by some people that went on travel there that it was just gorgeous as long as you stayed in the right areas.

morganj614

Suz' said:
Why would they want to d? It's a dirt poor country. no running water, no heat, cardboard homes (for real). There may be some better area's but I sure didn't see them when I was there.......

I have heard people speak of going and having a wonderful time. You have to stay at the right places and know where to go. Like staying on Park Ave. in New York and not hanging out in the Bronx or the old Harlem..(sorry bronxers and harlemites))

Suz

morganj614 said:
I have heard people speak of going and having a wonderful time. You have to stay at the right places and know where to go. Like staying on Park Ave. in New York and not hanging out in the Bronx or the old Harlem..(sorry bronxers and harlemites))
:notworthy

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Belize is great for eco-tourists, as it boasts some of the most pristine rainforests in central America.

Aside from that, it's also one of the safer central American countries to visit if you have any interest in Mayan ruins.

The beaches can be a little cruddy---and if you don't stay in one of the more upper-scale hotel resorts (They are still relatively cheap; even for the nicest ones) you risk quite a bit of culture shock.

If you're just looking for a warm, relaxing, hassle-free tropical environment to vacation to, you may just want to consider Barbados. Belize will be a bit more of an adventure.

likitysplit

Cave Tube

hereforgood said:

Was there in September. If you are flying to Belize then you can be afforded more time to explore. We, like another forumite suggested, were on a cruise.

We opted for the cave tubing which was about a 3 hour trip. Very interesting. Large group, approx 40 people. Cost about $100, they feed you, etc.

Also, recommend going to the Belize Zoo. Pebble walkways and very crude setup but you get to see some amazing animals VERY CLOSE.

The BEER IS STRONG, I believe it was Belikin (sp?). Watch out for snakes if you venture off the beaten path. There are a couple different species that if bitten by, needless to say you won't be coming back..........

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I went there as a sailor, during the 1980s. A bunch of us painted an orphanage while we were there. I agree, poverty is a big problem there. I doubt that I'd want to go there on a vacation (but it's been 20 years since that trip).

AnniesDad

By the sea
Hello6 said:
Sounds like a good place to be robbed and murdered or kidnapped and held for ransom.

:yeahthat:

A lot of the third world countries I visited are like that. Gotta keep the local economy moving ...

I flew to Belize and had a great vacation. People are very friendly and the country is beautiful. I visited Mayan Ruins, the rain forest, the cays, a town very close to Guatamala and the zoo, which was great. I saw howlers monkeys and tarantulas in the rain forest and lots of cool animals at the zoo. I snorkeled on the reef (saw baracudas, sharks, rays, and all shapes and sizes of fish). I had very good and cheap food. In Belize City you can get great food from vendors right on the street. Yum. You can get to the cays by ferry or by plane. I rented a little Suzuki Samurai for a few days to venture more into the country than just Belize City. Overall, it was great! I would do it again in a minute.

I hope you don't let one news item about crime keep you away from visiting Belize. Imagine if people didn't visit the United States because of our reported crime. That would be a shame!

Triggerfish

Belize is the home of the largest Coral Reef in the Western Hemisphere. If you like Scuba diving or if you ever wanted to learn Belize may be the place to do it. I think people go to Anthony Key and dive the Blue Hole.

If you're looking for a warm vacation Costa Rica would also be a good option.

Rain Forest treks, attractive mountains and volcanoes, hot springs, scuba diving, fishing, rain forst canopy tours, white water rafting. No native culture though since the Spanish completely wiped out what little Indian population there was. Costa Rica also has the most stable democracy in the Central America, possiblely all of Latin America.

Last edited:

hereforgood

Triggerfish said:
Belize is the home of the largest Coral Reef in the Western Hemisphere. If you like Scuba diving or if you ever wanted to learn Belize may be the place to do it. I think people go to Anthony Key and dive the Blue Hole.

If you're looking for a warm vacation Costa Rica would also be a good option.

Rain Forest treks, attractive mountains and volcanoes, hot springs, scuba diving, fishing, rain forst canopy tours, white water rafting. No native culture though since the Spanish completely wiped out what little Indian population there was. Costa Rica also has the most stable democracy in the Central America, possiblely all of Latin America.

Thanks for all the info. I think we are going to get a bareboat charter and cruise around the Virgin Islands. My uncle has his captain's license and has done the trip a few times. :dance:

STL_RAMS

hereforgood said:

I went to Belize about 7 or 8 years ago. Flew into Belize City, then took a small flight over to the island of San Pedro - Amerbergese Cay (sp?). It was absolutly beautiful. Its the island that they filmed Temptation Island on. I was there for about a week and loved it. Its a different culture, but most people spoke english, and everyone was friendly. Many restraunts didnt have floor (well they were sand, not carpet or anything), but the food was good and it wasnt too expensive.

I didnt stay on the mainland, where the cruises go, which is dirtier and what not. I also didnt goto the Rainforest , but would have loved too - although I heard that isnt the safest place to go either.

The island I went to had running water, you could drink it because many hotels purify it. I didnt get any funky diseases not did I get diarehha (sp??).

I would definatly go back again, but havent b/c there are so many other places to visit. I hope to be able to make it back one day though. I woudl definatly keep it as a choice, and just do your research before you go, as you would with anyplace you would visit. Everywhere has "a not so safe" part of town.....

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Railroad said:
I went there as a sailor, during the 1980s. A bunch of us painted an orphanage while we were there. I agree, poverty is a big problem there. I doubt that I'd want to go there on a vacation (but it's been 20 years since that trip).
Was in Honduras about the same time, both are very poor countries, but that means your dollar will buy a LOT of service and attention. Keep a pocket full of ones and always tip. They'll treat you like a millionair.