Beretta Extrema 2 - or other suggestions

Well - I have decided to pull the trigger (pun intended) and go with an auto-loader shotgun. I have owned pumps my entire life, but I shot my sons 20 guage Charles Daly semi-automatic and fell in love with it. I took it out Saturday for the last day of deer hunting and I decided to go that route.

I have talked to a lot of people in the past two days and decided to go with the Beretta Extrema 2 - it is a bit of $$$, but this will be my do-it-all shotgun... I have to sell my Benelli Nova Synthetic Pump first - hate to do it - but wife said something must go before you buy another. This is the gun which has carried the torch for me up until this year... I have some other shotguns I like to take out (some are old classics which need to be admired), but I think the Extrema 2 will be the one to use for the next 40 years or so... :lol:

Anyone have experience with this gun - or other semi-automatic shotguns they would like to convince me to buy?

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
My first shotgun was a Beretta 302 auto. That gun was (and still is) great to shoot and has never jammed or given the first hint of a problem. Loved it so much that I bought a Beretta A390 auto about ten years ago because I wanted something with a black synthetic stock instead of wood. The 390 is just as dependable as my 302 and I've downed many birds with it. One of the guys I hunt with popped his new camo-clad Extrema out of it's case while we were hunting Saturday and all I could do was :drool:

Guess what I'm gonna buy next.:lol: I've been wanting a 3 1/2 inch mag gun for a while now anyways.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
LAugh all you want, but I bought a Harrington and Richardson Excel Auto 5 last year for less than $350 and it shoots like a dream. It was cheap enough that if I drop it overboard, I won't shed a single tear.

LAugh all you want, but I bought a Harrington and Richardson Excel Auto 5 last year for less than $350 and it shoots like a dream. It was cheap enough that if I drop it overboard, I won't shed a single tear.

I aint laughing - I love my son's Charles Daly! This gun was right under $300... I contemlated this as well, but I figure if I am going to buy my last shotgun, well - short of catastrophic damage, I might as well get the best I can get with what I want to spend.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
I aint laughing - I love my son's Charles Daly! This gun was right under $300... I contemlated this as well, but I figure if I am going to buy my last shotgun, well - short of catastrophic damage, I might as well get the best I can get with what I want to spend.

Last shotgun?? What, are you dying??

Not yet - but if wifie see's the price tag on the Extrema 2 it might be!

I sold the Benelli already - so I have to make my mind up...

I talked with a really good friend and I might opt for a Beretta 391 (like from Wally-Mart) - I do not use a 3 1/2" shell so why pay the extra $$$? Heck - I don't know but I will find the right one eventually...

Well - got a Beretta 390 (from Wally Mart) - had it in the back no one knew about, we found it in the book!

People say it is a good gun, so far it seems to be OK - I am going to break it all down, clean it and go ring it out this weekend.

I figured when the boy is ready to step up to a 12 guage I will pass this to him and go and get a higher grade shotgun like the Extrema 2 (maybe 3 by then) :lol:

I just could not pass up a price of $499 for a Beretta Semi-Auto!

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Well - got a Beretta 390 (from Wally Mart) - had it in the back no one knew about, we found it in the book!

People say it is a good gun, so far it seems to be OK - I am going to break it all down, clean it and go ring it out this weekend.

I figured when the boy is ready to step up to a 12 guage I will pass this to him and go and get a higher grade shotgun like the Extrema 2 (maybe 3 by then) :lol:

I just could not pass up a price of $499 for a Beretta Semi-Auto!

The first time you level that gun at a target and squeeze off a few rounds you will truly know what heaven is.:yay: Anyone who has ever fired my 390 has went out and bought one afterwards.

Nope - no 3.5" shell in that one.

I had a Benelli Nova - (gotta close the deal, so I still own it for now) and that gun had 3.5" capacity. Owning it for 4 1/2 years I only fired one 3.5" shell in it and it was while I was crow hunting; nothing was left to speak of - of the crow.

After talking to a few hunting buddies and looked at my hunting patterns I have never had a real need for a 3.5" shell. Plus, a box of those things are EXPENSIVE!

OMG!!! - I took the new Beretta 390 out today and rung 150 shells through it - the first 75 were heavy loads, the last 75 were light field loads shooting Trap... we shot trap at a friend of the families (he has one of those professional voice activated, hydraulic throwers)

HOLY Lightning - this is one of the smoothest shotguns I have ever shot - not one jam or hiccup; this of course was after a complete breakdown and spraying with brake fluid to get the cosmoline (SP?) out and wiping down and lubing with CLP...

Yep, I am glad I got the 390... everyone was right! I will hand this down to the boy when he is ready to step up to a 12 gauge...

We also had the boy out (11 y/o) with his 20 gauge semi and he shot 125 shells; I could not believe it... he hung in there with us.