Best Apple Orchard in SOMD

NBF

Can you guys chime in to tell me, in your experience The best place to pick apples at in SOMD? Thank you!

NBF

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Can you guys chime in to tell me, in your experience The best place to pick apples at in SOMD? Thank you!

NBF
If you are looking to pick them yourself, I don't think there are many down here. Check out the local farmers markets and you should find a variety of local apples already picked for sale. I love Trossbach's and they do sell apples, but only at their farm stand. It is a bit of a drive as it is just north of Point Lookout State Park in Scotland but worth it. From their FB page:

This Weekend!!!
Come see us for all your Fall veggies!
Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant, Spaghetti Squash, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Kale, Turnips, Beets, Yellow Beans, Lima Beans, Pumpkins, and
🍎 APPLES Varieties (At Our Stand ONLY):
Gala, Honeycrisp, Crispin, Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Fuji, Pink Lady, Stayman, and Empire.
Our Stand in Scotland is Open - Saturday & Sunday 9AM-6PM
We will be at the Home Grown Farm Market LLC and the California Farmers Market - Saturday 9AM-1PM
See you this weekend!

Another option is Forrest Hall Farm & Orchard: https://forresthallfarm.com/

Info on the markets: https://www.visitstmarysmd.com/food-drink/farm-markets

Info on apple PYO in Maryland:

limblips

PREMO Member
Sorry but limited opportunities down here. Not the best climate for apples. Do yourself right and take a relaxing weekend trip to the mountains of western MD or VA. The mountains are beautiful this time of year and the many fall festivals are a ton of fun. Not an apple trip but for a fun time in a weekend range check out New Hope, PA. Great time.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Columbus Day weekend used to be my Skyline Drive apple trip weekend. Usually still warm enough to camp, and the road down to Sperryville would be lined with all sorts of produce stands. We'd stock up on several varieties and bring them back to share with friends and family. Good times...

Goldenhawk

If you want FREE apples, Skyline Drive has some old abandoned apple orchards that you can harvest, a few miles north of the Rt 33 entrance. There are generally two types of trees - some yellow lower-quality apples, and some rather nicer tart red ones. We harvested many a free bushel over the years, and made uncounted gallons of applesauce. This is a great time to go - the leaves are starting to turn and the views will be stunning, and the apples will be firm and juicy for a few more weeks. We've been told by park rangers that there are no restrictions on harvesting.

Just enter the park from 33 and head north. Keep an eye on the east side, maybe 30-100 feet away from the roadway, for large apple trees just loaded with apples. This is one such tree:

Oh, by the way - in a few weeks, just after the first frost, is a great time to harvest frost grapes along Skyline Drive. They taste rather like tart Concord grapes, but are much smaller (about 1/4" each). Although a bit too tart to eat raw, they make a terrific grape jam or jelly. Just south of Rt 33 is a good place to start looking. The vines hang in sunny areas from the trees and are absolutely loaded with grapes - we have collected a few gallons in a couple hours before. They're called "frost grapes" because they ripen after the first frost. We've found that around the end of October is a great time to harvest them.

NBF

Thank you for your insightful inputs. Skyline Drive sounds great and a beautiful place to be around this time of year. Wish everyone a safe and quiet Sunday.

NBF