Best fast food burger

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just went to the NN website. First thing it does is pop up a birthday freebie shake offer. :yay: Only 2 locations, the one in Kilmarnock is closed due to fire. The best burgers make the best grease fires... :lol:

And once again, the "one off" and not-a-chain get the best reviews, have the best food. But people still opt for mediocrity with chains because that's all that we have around here, too far to travel unless you happen to be going that way.

So why aren't there more mom and pop, one off restaurants here? Does the county make it too tough to maintain a business? Talent? Location?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I pass through there a lot..back and forth to Norfolk regularly. Have to give them a try.
I do the same. I've wanted to try it before, but couldn't find a parking spot because it was so packed. Niece and I lucked out, probably because it was the middle of the week.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just went to the NN website. First thing it does is pop up a birthday freebie shake offer. :yay: Only 2 locations, the one in Kilmarnock is closed due to fire. The best burgers make the best grease fires... :lol:

And once again, the "one off" and not-a-chain get the best reviews, have the best food. But people still opt for mediocrity with chains because that's all that we have around here, too far to travel unless you happen to be going that way.

So why aren't there more mom and pop, one off restaurants here? Does the county make it too tough to maintain a business? Talent? Location?
My guess is that people are used to mediocrity and/or unwilling to try something new. Ewww!!! Too frou frou! Gimme my meat and taters and hold the veggies. Burp.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Many people won't go to them because they're scared of things they haven't known since birth. Also the chains advertise constantly and are always top of mind. In PCB we have some REALLY excellent non-chain restaurants and don't you know the disgusting Crapplebee's is always packed.

If you invite them, they will come. But mom and pop don't invite them.

🤷‍♀️

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Applebee’s is one of those places I have never understood how they stay in business. The food sucks. The service sucks. what the hell people see in it escapes me.

Another one was IHOP. I think the last time I enjoyed that place I was 10 years old.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Many people won't go to them because they're scared of things they haven't known since birth. Also the chains advertise constantly and are always top of mind. In PCB we have some REALLY excellent non-chain restaurants and don't you know the disgusting Crapplebee's is always packed.

If you invite them, they will come. But mom and pop don't invite them.

🤷‍♀️
We miss a few places in Destin and Shalimar.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Applebee’s is one of those places I have never understood how they stay in business. The food sucks. The service sucks. what the hell people see in it escapes me.

They want to be fancy like Applebee's on a date night.

Advertising works, man. Even when your food sucks ass, people will snub the amazing mom/pop next door to stand in line for a table if you're a chain that floods all media with advertising. Humans, what can I say....

🤷‍♀️

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They want to be fancy like Applebee's on a date night.

Advertising works, man. Even when your food sucks ass, people will snub the amazing mom/pop next door to stand in line for a table if you're a chain that floods all media with advertising. Humans, what can I say....

🤷‍♀️
And yet, they complain that Cracker Barrel isn't what it used to be.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And yet, they complain that Cracker Barrel isn't what it used to be.

People gripe but they'll still show up. They'll stand in line for a table and whine about the wait. It's like voting Democrat - they bitch and moan, but it never occurs to them to stop making that choice.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
So.... any hands for Denny's ?

I stop there once in a while. The breakfast is good, but the home fries always have a weird flavor, so I pass on those.

SamSpade

Another one was IHOP. I think the last time I enjoyed that place I was 10 years old.
It's one of those places we go with wife's mom. It appeals to her.
SOMETIMES it's because they carry ONE ITEM that they want - I know they have or had some kind of Asian noodle or salad my daughter liked.

I can see one thing about Applebee's - they carry a common menu of American staple restaurant foods that other restaurants have abandoned in favor of being more trendy. And I don't mean the Bob Evan/Cracker Barrel type turkey and gravy or meat loaf and potatoes type stuff. I mean, you can get a small steak, a few kinds of burgers and so forth. Stuff most chain restaurants used to carry.

And when you're dining with a family, you need to have kid's menus and foods for the teens that THEY WILL EAT. There's nothing quite like shelling out 15+ bucks for a meal for a kid who takes one bite. And this will happen at restaurants that have eliminated this fare.

PeoplesElbow

About 3 or 4 years ago?? I dunno what Dave's problem was with keeping it open..maybe the sticky floors, etc.. I used to bowl on Tuesday nights. I haven't bowled in at least 5 years there, but most are going to the base to bowl, I think. The other option is PF, or the Dorf.
I was in the Tuesday night league for a while. Dave being a dick and not taking care of the place drove me to bowl in Calvert and on base