Best place to have a pet put down

Old Dog

Cleo's supposed to go to the vet for chemo today. Either the chemo is working and it's just depressing her system enough that she's not gaining weight. Or it's not working. Either way I'll take her in and talk to the vet but Cleo won't be getting chemo. I'll make an appt for 2 weeks from today for chemo. Either she'll start rebounding or she won't. If she does, I'll keep the appt. If not...

Thank you all so much for all of your replies. Today I'll start calling around and see who would come out to my house. Upstairs I have an old 4-poster bed. I had it when Cleo first came home. I don't use it any more and it was in storage for a while. But it even has on it the comforter that I had on it the last time Cleo was able to sleep with me. (She doesn't now because my DH is mildly allergic.) Anyway that room is set up most like my old bedroom was so it's most like what Cleo actually knew for most of her life. I'll have it done there if it needs to be done.

I'll call Tidewater first as I use them as my regular vet but haven't for very long and never for this sort of service. Then I'll call other places. I'll also call around about crematory services. I don't want to watch that part or anything. It's just that I'd like to choose the urn/box if I have a choice.

Thanks again. I'll be back.

Take care,
Melody

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
The local funeral home will do the cremation for you. They will guide you and help you just like if it was your grandmother. You can also choose to purchase an urn or box from them. I think is was Mattinglys on the side street in Leonardtown. Hope this helps if you choose to go this path. Im sorry you are going through this. I know how hard it is. Good luck and stay strong.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
appyday said:
I feel for you Pixie but not quite the same...she wanted to "save" this horse. Not follow my wishes. She wanted to evalute her. I have witnesses some horrors putting down horses..thrashing..running etc..Dr Miller has put down 2 for me...one over 30 yr old..coliced and My old App mare Brandy..both were very peaceful and quite..he was great with Scarlette my old dog too....

Appy that is your diagnoses not the vets. The vet did not feel comfortable with doin the procedure and was honest about it and your pissed. The Vet wanted to evaluate the horse because she is a Vet and knows more than you and I do. She told you what you didnt like to hear and she is now all bad.. Sorry but I would have to agree with the Vet.. She felt that she wanted to look at the horse before putting it down. What if it wasnt something that was terribly wrong with the horse and the horse could have lived for another year and you put it down because of "What YOU thought" not a professional.. I understand your pain and have been there with a friend when she had to put her horse she grew up with down and it is very hard and traumatizing.

spinner

"Appy that is your diagnoses not the vets. The vet did not feel comfortable with doin the procedure and was honest about it and your pissed. The Vet wanted to evaluate the horse because she is a Vet and knows more than you and I do. She told you what you didnt like to hear and she is now all bad.. Sorry but I would have to agree with the Vet.. She felt that she wanted to look at the horse before putting it down. What if it wasnt something that was terribly wrong with the horse and the horse could have lived for another year and you put it down because of "What YOU thought" not a professional.. I understand your pain and have been there with a friend when she had to put her horse she grew up with down and it is very hard "

It's up to the owner to know what is best for the animal, they have to live with the decision not the vet who sees the animal for what? maybe a half hour a couple times a year. Of course we all know not every owner has the animals best interest at heart, but most of us do. I've dealt with that vet and I'm with Appy on this, that vet won't be treating any of my animals.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Ya had me a little worried, thinking the worst. That statement just sounded bad. Thanks for clearing that up. :huggy:

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
appyday said:
I have had Dr Bennet (Three notch) come to my house and put down an old doberman with cancer (on the couch with me there she even waited for me to feed her boiled chicken befor she did it) She was wonderful. Dr Bennet is great.

I have had Dr Miller let us drive an old Boxer to her house and let the family be with her and hold her the whole time.

Most vets are very compationate and nice most even send out a sympathy card. I am sure this is a large part of their job and income.

James W I think it is close to $200 for a horse not counting $60 farm call.
Dr Bennett is the best vet I've found in somd. JMHO. We go to Park Veterinary Clinic, though. :yay:
Hopefully I won't be needing the "sad" services anytime soon though.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
spinner said:
"Appy that is your diagnoses not the vets. The vet did not feel comfortable with doin the procedure and was honest about it and your pissed. The Vet wanted to evaluate the horse because she is a Vet and knows more than you and I do. She told you what you didnt like to hear and she is now all bad.. Sorry but I would have to agree with the Vet.. She felt that she wanted to look at the horse before putting it down. What if it wasnt something that was terribly wrong with the horse and the horse could have lived for another year and you put it down because of "What YOU thought" not a professional.. I understand your pain and have been there with a friend when she had to put her horse she grew up with down and it is very hard "

It's up to the owner to know what is best for the animal, they have to live with the decision not the vet who sees the animal for what? maybe a half hour a couple times a year. Of course we all know not every owner has the animals best interest at heart, but most of us do. I've dealt with that vet and I'm with Appy on this, that vet won't be treating any of my animals.
Agreed that vets know best, but from the story I read- she didn't even offer to come out and evaluate the horse. She just refused and let the horse suffer needlessly. That's not the sign of a good vet. :ohwell:

mingiz

Horse Poor
I agree with Appy & Spinner. I have also dealt with this vet and wasn't impressed with anything that was done. True horse owners know alot more about thier horses than any vet. As it was stated they only see the horse maybe once or twice a year. Owners know when thier animal is off. Most owners perform most of the treatments that vets do anyway. If I had any thought that my horse is suffering, and I have done everything that I possibly could do, I would humanely send him to Rainbow Bridge. I'm not going to watch my animal suffer just because someone else doesn't feel they can evaluate them because banamine was given to the horse. Most vets will tell you to give them a shot of it, if you have it. Mine did! It was the first thing she suggested. And it's usually the first meds given for colic. If you have ever seen a horse really sick and down it tears your heart out. You would then understand how Appy feels and others who have lost thier best friend.

Old Dog

No sad news yet

I am happy to report that it has been 3 weeks since Cleo's last chemo and she's still more or less fine. My vet was fine with my decision to stop chemo. I have another appt next week and am thinking of urging a different chemo.

Otherwise I'll just keep on with the prednisone and cytoxan. And trying to be alert to any decline in her health.

Thanks bunches guys!

candyjax84

Temperamental Artist
Tidewater

I've dealt with Tidewater Vet in Mechanicsville for all of my vet needs. I recently had to have Dr. Chris Rhundy come out and put down my 24 year old horse (hardest day for me in a LONG time). They have always been wonderful to my pets... and me! They do farm calls or you can bring them in. We tend to have farm calls, that way our animals are burried at the place they spent their life. I know it's a hard decision to make, but if they are in pain, it's better to put them down than let them suffer. Good luck!
These are the numbers I have for Tidewater Vet: 301-884-5244 and 301-274-3323

candyjax84

Temperamental Artist
Old Dog said:
I am happy to report that it has been 3 weeks since Cleo's last chemo and she's still more or less fine. My vet was fine with my decision to stop chemo. I have another appt next week and am thinking of urging a different chemo.

Otherwise I'll just keep on with the prednisone and cytoxan. And trying to be alert to any decline in her health.

Thanks bunches guys!

I guess I should've read a little further before my last post. I'm glad to hear all is well (knocks on wood)!