Best route to Outer Banks?

CAE

Hi All,

I keep looking on MapQuest and GoogleMaps for the best route from Northern Calvert down to Nags Head.

These sites keep telling me to take 4 up to the Beltway, then 95 to Richmond, then 64 into Norfolk, etc.

I can't help but wonder if going 301 to 17 and picking up 64 in Newport News (or wherever it dumps out) wouldn't be better. I know I can't go as fast as 95/64, but it looks a quite a bit shorter on the map. Plus, one accident on 95 and the day is finished!!!

Does anyone have any experience with this route?

Thanks!

C

czygvtwkr

You will cut about an hour off the trip if you take 301 to 95, as far as 17 it takes about 3 hours to get to NewPort News from the Harry Nice Bridge.

From south St Marys going 301 to 95 takes about 2 hours off the trip.

I think 301 to 95 is your best bet.

CMC122

Go Braves!
CAE said:
Hi All,

I keep looking on MapQuest and GoogleMaps for the best route from Northern Calvert down to Nags Head.

These sites keep telling me to take 4 up to the Beltway, then 95 to Richmond, then 64 into Norfolk, etc.

I can't help but wonder if going 301 to 17 and picking up 64 in Newport News (or wherever it dumps out) wouldn't be better. I know I can't go as fast as 95/64, but it looks a quite a bit shorter on the map. Plus, one accident on 95 and the day is finished!!!

Does anyone have any experience with this route?

Thanks!
My friends live in Nags Head and when they come up here to visit that is the only way they go in the summer time:yay: Way less traffic. Pretty scenery too:yay:

Come to think of it,
We took that way when we went too and it took approximately 5 hours from Mechanicsville.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Do your search using Rand McNally chose online driving directions and from there you can select fastest or shortest route. I checked (using Prince Frederick as a starting point) and they take you over 301S to 17E to I-64E to I-464S to VA-168S to NC-168 to US-158 to NC-12. Total time a little over 6 hours.

CAE

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions and the Rand McNally site -- I was liking maps.google.com, but I like that even better.

On the way down to OBX, we took 301 to 95, 64, etc. Not a bad trip, it took less than six hours, if i remember correctly. I noticed a lot of traffic on 64W and 95N that was just sitting there and kept that in mind for today.

We came back on 17 to 301 and it was just fine. I realize there was a faster way than what we did, but it was just a shade over six hours, and I have a feeling it would have been longer if I'd have gone to Richmond. I was really happy on 17 and recommend it.

Thanks!