Telluride
Eureka Springs
Gatlinburg
Harpers Ferry
Jim Thorpe
Deadwood
Berkeley Springs
Breckenridge

I'd add Stowe, VT and Cody, WY to that list. And Red Lodge, MT. And Sedona/Jerome, AZ. And probably Bisbee, AZ.

I'm not sure how they narrowed that list down.

Wow, how did I forget Flagstaff? That's one of my all time favorite towns. And if Taos is a mountain town, then so is Santa Fe, which is gorgeous.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Wonder how many of the towns in the article in the northwest, Oregon, Washington.... will survive the raging fires?

DaSDGuy

From that list I've been to:

Taos
Telluride
Eureka Springs
Gatlinburg
Harpers Ferry
Jim Thorpe
Deadwood
Berkeley Springs
Breckenridge

I'd add Stowe, VT and Cody, WY to that list. And Red Lodge, MT. And Sedona/Jerome, AZ. And probably Bisbee, AZ.

I'm not sure how they narrowed that list down.

Wow, how did I forget Flagstaff? That's one of my all time favorite towns. And if Taos is a mountain town, then so is Santa Fe, which is gorgeous.
Leadville, CO is great too if you like outdoor activities. But you should be aware it is over 10,000 feet above sea level.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Started to say that Leaving out Boone NC makes that list incomplete, but Blowing Rock is right there.

I've heard that it's beautiful. At some point we're going to mosey back over to the east coast, so I'll have to put that on the list. :yay:

black dog

Free America
Leadville, CO is great too if you like outdoor activities. But you should be aware it is over 10,000 feet above sea level.

My younger brother bought a large place outside of Leadville about 25 years ago..
It and Breckenridge were awesome places up to 15 years ago. To much corporate and building now.
My parents have a winter home and a few rentals in Breck, on the mountian, up behind Fattys and their place up higher above town...
Its the new Vail/Aspen... Like Annapolis, of 40-50 years ago... its been ruined....

PeoplesElbow

I've heard that it's beautiful. At some point we're going to mosey back over to the east coast, so I'll have to put that on the list. :yay:
Oh it absolutely is, do yourself a favor and go between late September and early November, hit all the little places near like Linville, Banner Elk, mystery hill, and do some gem mining ( washing seeded buckets of dirt )

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My younger brother bought a large place outside of Leadville about 25 years ago..
It and Breckenridge were awesome places up to 15 years ago. To much corporate and building now.
My parents have a winter home and a few rentals in Breck, on the mountian, up behind Fattys and their place up higher above town...
Its the new Vail/Aspen... Like Annapolis, of 40-50 years ago... its been ruined....

See, that's what I liked about Vail and Aspen - Vail in particular - that cute little town with shopping/eating/drinking in the gorgeous setting. But I haven't been there since the early 80s, so it may have gotten out of control since then.

Sedona is like that - picturesque commercial area surrounded by incredible natural beauty.

Bill Bryson wrote a book about hiking the Appalachian Trail and lamented that Gatlinburg is a cute little commercial town now instead of just woods. Which is an interesting thing to complain about since it's surrounded by miles and miles of unspoiled wilderness.

There are so many places in this country where it's easy to forget civilization exists. If you're a prepper who wants to go get lost or hide out, there are any number of places where you could do it and nobody would ever find you.