best way to kill tree stumps

highnote

I have some nuisance stumps in my horse pasture. They are on a steep hill (with a large stream at the bottom) and so are not accessible to the backhoe (or a stump grinder). They are small but can still trip up a horse (or person). Plus I'm sure in spring I'll start getting new shoots of growth on them. Some are mountain laurel which is toxic to horses... so I want to kill the entire plant for good.

Any ideas? Someone recommended drilling holes and pouring roundup inside... others recommended gasoline (not sure how this was to be applied, I would rather not risk burning down the forest)... I want something that is going to kill in one or two applications. The mountain laurel is VERY hardy and it takes a lot to kill it. There is no grass surrounding them so I'm not worried about that.

Robin

I have some nuisance stumps in my horse pasture. They are on a steep hill (with a large stream at the bottom) and so are not accessible to the backhoe (or a stump grinder). They are small but can still trip up a horse (or person). Plus I'm sure in spring I'll start getting new shoots of growth on them. Some are mountain laurel which is toxic to horses... so I want to kill the entire plant for good.

Any ideas? Someone recommended drilling holes and pouring roundup inside... others recommended gasoline (not sure how this was to be applied, I would rather not risk burning down the forest)... I want something that is going to kill in one or two applications. The mountain laurel is VERY hardy and it takes a lot to kill it. There is no grass surrounding them so I'm not worried about that.

you dont want to pour gasoline on the stump run off to the stream
Round up/ toxic and the same thing.

Epsom salt drillholes into roots and the stump and fill with epsom salt
here is an article. safer for your horses.

How to kill a tree stump that keeps growing

frogman123

Maybe not what you are looking for, but to speed up the rotting process, take a hatchet/axe and split the stump a couple of times. If you can, split it all the way down to the root area. This will provide homes for bugs that will help the process, and also allow moisture/bacteria work the lower end of the stump. Then, in a couple months you can go out there and kick it down. GL!

T

toppick08

Maybe not what you are looking for, but to speed up the rotting process, take a hatchet/axe and split the stump a couple of times. If you can, split it all the way down to the root area. This will provide homes for bugs that will help the process, and also allow moisture/bacteria work the lower end of the stump. Then, in a couple months you can go out there and kick it down. GL!

Throw in two handfulls of urea, cover with soil, dampen.........will speed it up even more...

ontheriver

charcoal briquets (sp?)

I had two large stumps in my yard. Someone told me to put charcoal briquets on the stumps, and guesss what, it worked!