Betah fish Problems

duzzey

I have a small betah fish tank at home, and every other day the tank develops a fuzzy cloud at the surface of the water. I clean the tank and maybe a day later its back again. Also, there is a collection of bubbles in the tank. I only have one betah. Anybody know what this is about?

duzzey

Its weird. It looks like a layer of cotton on the surface of the water. I washed the tank out last night and the next day its back again, along with the bubbles. could it be some sort of fungus in the rocks? Or could it be the water. I also put a water softening agent from tetra to remove the chlorine. Water smells bad too.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
You didn't use soap? Do you have well water? I'd scrub the rocks with hot water and a brush.

When I had my beta I used to keep a gallon of water in a jug w/o the lid on for 24 hrs. to get rid of the chlorine. The tank water was changed weekly and the gravel got rinsed in hot water.

Unmused

I know I'm really late with this but here it goes anyhow.

I don't know about the cottony stuff, but bubbles are normal with Betas. In the wild they make nests out of bubbles. If you watch him closely you'll probably see him at the surface blowing the little bubbles himself.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
duzzey said:
Its weird. It looks like a layer of cotton on the surface of the water. I washed the tank out last night and the next day its back again, along with the bubbles. could it be some sort of fungus in the rocks? Or could it be the water. I also put a water softening agent from tetra to remove the chlorine. Water smells bad too.
Ammonia build up will cause cloudy water, but I never heard of a layer of cloudy water.. sounds like your filter system (if you are using one) hasn't been aged in yet.

Ponytail

Follow me!!!

duzzey said:
I have a small betah fish tank at home, and every other day the tank develops a fuzzy cloud at the surface of the water. I clean the tank and maybe a day later its back again. Also, there is a collection of bubbles in the tank. I only have one betah. Anybody know what this is about?

:flush:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
jazz lady said:
Really I just wanted to hear a status update on Crabcake's betah, Montego Alowishus Fishus. :bubble:
aww. :smile: He's doing just swimmingly and loves his home in my office. Thanks for asking! :dance:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
aww. :smile: He's doing just swimmingly and loves his home in my office. Thanks for asking! :dance:
Here's a makeup post for accidentally deleting the one where I asked how he was doing. :cheesy:

J

justhangn

Barbra said:
My 2 year old Betta croaked on Sunday. :ohwell: I had a nice funeral in the back yard...and then Harley finalized the ceremony by running back to the burial site & tinkling on the bush all my fish are buried under. :lmao: Bad dog.
Did the neighbor cat dig it up yet?? :confused:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Barbra said:
My 2 year old Betta croaked on Sunday. :ohwell: I had a nice funeral in the back yard...and then Harley finalized the ceremony by running back to the burial site & tinkling on the bush all my fish are buried under. :lmao: Bad dog.

LOL, my daughter's Gourami died after 2-1/2 years, we held a small ceremony also in our basements toilet. My daughter said her piece, flushed, we hugged and she left. I then walked back bowed my head and said "Better You Than Me". :jameo:

Animals4Life

Betta's do blow bubbles. I had the same substance in my bowl a few times. Try to change the water out and use distilled water. That's what worked for me.