Beto - AR15 Super Powerful Weapon - Wants to Ban NEW Sales

rmorse

A 50 caliber rifle is legal and one has never been used to commit a crime. I think it has more to do with the cost of the weapon than anything.

Yea the cost aspect makes sense but that can be implemented to other firearms...make AR15 and other .223/5.56 so expensive to obtain that people stop using them.

Of course, you can do that with any weapon i guess and then people would just make their own. It's not like it's especially difficult to make a boomboom stick.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yea the cost aspect makes sense but that can be implemented to other firearms ...

the only reason that Class III weapons are stupid expensive these days was the 1989 ban on NEW Sales ... you can get 'dealer' samples easy enough [as any Class III weapon, but you never really own it - as I understand it]

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Ok, so, question....if the federal government was able to successfully regulate automatic weapons to the point where only one has been used to commit a crime since 1934 (or whatever the date was), why couldn't they theoretically do the same with other types of firearms? Is it just due to the sheer number of firearms that we're dealing with here? Or am I missing something else...
They could and are trying to, but trying to regulate the most copied firearm ever made is probably the ultimate in trying to stuff a genie back in the bottle

black dog

Free America
They could and are trying to, but trying to regulate the most copied firearm ever made is probably the ultimate in trying to stuff a genie back in the bottle
I'm not sure it's the most copied firearm ever made.
I would go with the 1911 and the CZ75 pistols.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea the cost aspect makes sense but that can be implemented to other firearms...make AR15 and other .223/5.56 so expensive to obtain that people stop using them.

Of course, you can do that with any weapon i guess and then people would just make their own. It's not like it's especially difficult to make a boomboom stick.
I bet the cost factor does have something to do with it...a decent AR-15 can be purchased for around $500. But ARs can cost far more than that too. I've seen many that cost in excess of $3000, including optic.

Millions of ARs are "built" from finished lower receivers or 80% finished lower receivers. (Same is true for many other firearms..like the 1911 semiautomatic pistol, for example). It's not especially difficult to build ARs from parts....as long as those remain available. That said, MD legislators are crafting legislation to ban the parts and make home-building illegal.

AR-15s are chambered in many calibers, not just .223/5.56...... .22LR, 9mm luger, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39, .458, 6.5mm, .50 Beowulf, etc. Many of those are far more powerful than the "powerful" .233/5.56 round.

And then there is the AR-10 platform...

...and the FN..

..and on and on...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
LOL....yeah,yeah,yeah. So far, I've avoided getting in to those too. My interest in anything and everything 7.62x54R has kept my yearning for an AR-10 in .308 at bay....so far.
A friend of mine bought a one of the Noreen’s in 30:06.

I’m saving for one in .300 win mag

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Stop with the AR-10 stuff....just stop. I've worked very hard to keep my itchy trigger finger off the "Check Out" button with a cart full of AR-10 components...it's a continuing struggle.

Besides, I'm still smarting from the sudden ATF ban on .50 BMG AR-15 uppers....had one in the works when my order was cancelled and the supplier forwarded a copy of the ATF letter they'd received. They expect to resume production but their .50 BMG uppers will then be sold as "firearms" and not parts, requiring FFL transfer. What has still not been sorted out (or if it has, I've not heard) is how in the heck they are going to deal with the monster they've created....a variant of the AR-15 where the upper and lower receiver are each separately classified as the firearm.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Stop with the AR-10 stuff....just stop. I've worked very hard to keep my itchy trigger finger off the "Check Out" button with a cart full of AR-10 components...it's a continuing struggle.
They also make them in 7mm RemMag, .270 and .408 Cheytac.

PeoplesElbow

I bet the cost factor does have something to do with it...a decent AR-15 can be purchased for around $500. But ARs can cost far more than that too. I've seen many that cost in excess of $3000, including optic.

Millions of ARs are "built" from finished lower receivers or 80% finished lower receivers. (Same is true for many other firearms..like the 1911 semiautomatic pistol, for example). It's not especially difficult to build ARs from parts....as long as those remain available. That said, MD legislators are crafting legislation to ban the parts and make home-building illegal.

AR-15s are chambered in many calibers, not just .223/5.56...... .22LR, 9mm luger, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39, .458, 6.5mm, .50 Beowulf, etc. Many of those are far more powerful than the "powerful" .233/5.56 round.

And then there is the AR-10 platform...

...and the FN..

..and on and on...
I wonder if anyone has committed a crime with an AR that they built from parts.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I wonder if anyone has committed a crime with an AR that they built from parts.
Few, if any. The number of violent crimes committed with ALL long guns is small compared to those committed with handguns. But from there, data gets very sparse....most available data does not separate out long guns by type or manufacturer.

The MD politicians never cared about any of that....they don't even know what an 80% build actually is. They've simply decided that it must be bad somehow and they must ban it. For the chillren...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
They've simply decided that it must be bad somehow and they must ban it. For the chillren...
c1f0e6a1-e9d4-4223-80d7-31e42f8d0c01-jpeg.134930