Beto O’Rourke’s National Celebrity Was His Undoing

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
ABC News called the race for Cruz at around 8 o’clock, with just over 20 percent of precincts reporting, highlighting just how frail national momentum can be when faced with long-standing political realities. Ultimately, in a state where a Democrat has not won statewide office since 1994, O’Rourke failed to make the case that his appeal reached beyond the Acela corridor to the voters he would represent.

“He was a cause, not a candidate,” a top Democratic strategist, who requested anonymity because of his involvement in current campaigns, told me. “He was anti-Trump, yes. But he struggled to articulate what that would mean for the people of Texas.”

Perhaps the first clue to O’Rourke’s defeat is the distance between the national conception of O’Rourke and his actual policy positions. He was cast in profiles in seemingly every major publication as a beacon of centrism in an extremist world—someone who could reach across the aisle with an open mind despite his progressive platform. It’s true that O’Rourke spoke with a softness and a compassion that offered a stark contrast to his opponent, the Machiavellian Cruz. But a kind tone does not an ideological moderate make: O’Rourke called for Donald Trump’s impeachment, even as his more liberal colleagues declined to touch the topic, and touted his support for “Medicare for All.” He supported calls to abolish the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. All of which might have worked in a liberal stronghold such as, say, Connecticut. But as the conservative Cruz aptly put it in an interview with Politico, “Both Beto and I are fighting for principles and values we believe in. The difference is, the principles and values I’m fighting for are also the ones the vast majority of Texans support.”

Beto O’Rourke’s National Celebrity Was His Undoing

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Since we are in Texas, we've gotten to see a number of Beto commercials. He comes across as the male AOC - "Skateboard Jesus" is what I've heard him called. He and Cruz are roughly the same age, but he channels much younger. Like, MUCH younger.

Now, I gotta say, you have to suck hard to not beat Ted Cruz, so I have no doubt that Cruz' win was a Trump and Republican win, not because of Cruz himself.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Now, I gotta say, you have to suck hard to not beat Ted Cruz, so I have no doubt that Cruz' win was a Trump and Republican win, not because of Cruz himself.

I gotta' say, a lot of votes aren't so much for someone as they are against someone else.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We've seen more support for Beto than Cruz here in Bastrop county. Many more Beto yard signs when compared to Cruz. I figured it would go late into the night to determine a winner.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Reactions: BOP

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Many people won't put a Republican's sign in their yard lest the progs come and burn their house down.

I quit advertising my political affiliation a long, long time ago. Just being registered R in the 7th D makes you suspect.

Reactions: BOP

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Since we are in Texas, we've gotten to see a number of Beto commercials. He comes across as the male AOC - "Skateboard Jesus" is what I've heard him called. He and Cruz are roughly the same age, but he channels much younger. Like, MUCH younger.

I would have had a hard time voting for Cruz even if the senate had been on the line.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Beto O'Rourke: 'I don’t have complete confidence' Trump was elected fairly

Democratic presidential hopeful Beto O'Rourke pointed to Russian hacking of Florida voter registration information as support for his suspicions about the 2016 presidential election.

When asked in an MSNBC interview Saturday if he was confident President Trump had been elected fairly, the former Texas congressman agreed the use of propaganda on voters and electoral system breaches gave him doubts.

"I don’t have complete confidence in part because of what you've just shared about Florida, in part because we know from other secretaries of state in other states in the union that their systems were breached. We don’t know if vote tallies were changed, but that alone should be cause for concern," O'Rourke said.

but Obama PROMISED America there was NO Russian Compromise of the Election System

Grumpy

I have always felt that Russia would have preferred Hillary in office rather than Trump. Through the years, as the Russians certainly noticed and took advantage of, Hillary could be bought.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember when the Dems were fretting and mongering because they thought Trump wouldn't accept the outcome of the election?