Beto O’Rourke Donated Just 0.7% of His Income to Charity Since 2008

This_person

We’ve covered it already.
Ok, so you agree altruism is possible, and your post saying it wasn't is not valid. Gotcha.

Doing something because it is right is NOT a reward - it's simply doing something because it is right. THAT is altruism. That is reality, and it is done daily by millions of people a day.

PsyOps

Pixelated
In 2017 Beto was (and still is) a member of the House of Representatives. The salary for someone in the house is $175,000. How does someone earning $175k make $336,455? This is more of a concern for me than what he's donating to charity. This is the problem with politics - how they appear to be using their position of authority to benefit themselves financially.

Another concerning factor is, according to Wiki, Beto's business ventures amounted to nothing. In fact he appeared to have left his business venture in debt. His current net worth is estimated at $9 million. How does someone who has made virtually no money become a multi-millionaire? I demand to see his taxes.

Midnightrider

Another concerning factor is, according to Wiki, Beto's business ventures amounted to nothing. In fact he appeared to have left his business venture in debt. His current net worth is estimated at $9 million. How does someone who has made virtually no money become a multi-millionaire? I demand to see his taxes.
sweet, lets see how intellectually consistent you are with repsect to the rest of the candidates...........

Hijinx

Here in St Mary's County we have project WARM a project to keep homeless in a sheltered place and feed them.
There are no rewards for it.

We have Christmas in April
There is no reward for it.

We have ACTS a project to supply needed medical equipment to those who need it at no charge
All volunteer no reward for it

Our Rescue Squads and fire Departments are Volunteer.
No reward for it.

I am sure there are many other things I have failed to mention
Some people volunteer to help and others sit back and say there is no altruism

TCROW

Here in St Mary's County we have project WARM a project to keep homeless in a sheltered place and feed them.
There are no rewards for it.

We have Christmas in April
There is no reward for it.

We have ACTS a project to supply needed medical equipment to those who need it at no charge
All volunteer no reward for it

Our Rescue Squads and fire Departments are Volunteer.
No reward for it.

I am sure there are many other things I have failed to mention
Some people volunteer to help and others sit back and say there is no altruism

Those are all good things. I know a few of the people involved with ACTS and they are good people.

But it doesn’t change the fact the people always act in their own self interest. Always.

I’m not even saying that’s a bad thing or a selfish thing. It’s the primary driver that causes us to give of ourselves to others. We want to be good and generous citizens, especially if we are well off financially of have had other good fortune come our way. But if there weren’t something in it for us, we just wouldn’t do it. And yes, feeling good about helping your community, your fellow citizens is the reward. That’s the self-interest.

I encourage you to wrap your head around the notion for a bit and not be reactionary.

SamSpade

I encourage you to wrap your head around the notion for a bit and not be reactionary.

I don't know how long you've been on these forums, but this is a discussion done many times here.
And I don't agree with your argument, because it rests entirely on a concept which I don't believe is true -
that people ALWAYS do things for a reason, even if it's not obvious to them.

This leads to defining something - in this case - "altruism" - but by accepting the premise, admit it cannot exist.
It's kind of those self-referential arguments like the one mentioned "if God is all powerful, can he create a rock too big for him to lift?"
or "what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?" (in each case, part of the question defines something
that makes the other part impossible - e.g. if a force is unstoppable, an immovable object CANNOT exist in the same universe;
accept one, the other is false). If a concept such as selflessness exists, then defining all action as selfish obviates the idea.

And since I've observed ANIMALS showing compassion and kindness, I have to think they're probably not grappling with the
idea - they just do it.

TCROW

I don't know how long you've been on these forums, but this is a discussion done many times here.
And I don't agree with your argument, because it rests entirely on a concept which I don't believe is true -
that people ALWAYS do things for a reason, even if it's not obvious to them.

This leads to defining something - in this case - "altruism" - but by accepting the premise, admit it cannot exist.
It's kind of those self-referential arguments like the one mentioned "if God is all powerful, can he create a rock too big for him to lift?"
or "what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?" (in each case, part of the question defines something
that makes the other part impossible - e.g. if a force is unstoppable, an immovable object CANNOT exist in the same universe;
accept one, the other is false). If a concept such as selflessness exists, then defining all action as selfish obviates the idea.

I don't see it that way.

Altruism was probably defined before we knew about human behavior and our innate, in fact, immutable desire to act in our own self-interest. So it's not accepting a premise and then suggesting it doesn't exist. It is understanding that what what was once called altruism isn't really that at all. It was a word that once had meaning, but now we're smarter and understand human behavior. But the word sticks colloquially because we all know what it means.

And again, my rejection of the notion of pure altruism isn't a judgment on anyone who purports to act altruistically. I think we agree that it is a "good thing" to help people, etc., etc. That's great. We should all want to be like that. Recognizing this doesn't stop me from doing what I do. Just don't be mistaken and think that you're not getting something out of it. You are - it makes us feel good. It makes me feel good to help a fellow human. If it didn't, why as a rational actor would I do anything at all to help? That just makes no sense to me.

This_person

But it doesn’t change the fact the people always act in their own self interest. Always.

That would be very compelling if it were an actual fact. Fortunately for mankind, and unfortunately for your point, it is not even close to an actual fact.

Here's the thing - as a generality, you're right. It's actually why progressive policies will never, ever work. Capitalism works because, as a generality, people are far more interested in their own self interest than anything else.

But, in the day-to-day of life, people do good things for absolutely zero other reason than it helps other people.
Dictionary.com said:
altruism
[al-troo-iz-uh m]
noun
the principle or practice of unselfish concern for or devotion to the welfare of others

People practice concern for the welfare of others on an daily basis - completely unselfishly.

When someone drops a five into the offering plate, completely unknown to anyone around them and never taken off of their taxes and never spoken of again, that's altruism.

When someone lets in a car when it's not their turn, but it's clear there's a good reason that person needs in, that's altruism.

There are beyond millions of examples every day.

In the grand scheme of things, your point is valid as a generality. In the meat of day-to-day life, on a personal level, altruistic tendencies abound.

This_person

...why as a rational actor would I do anything at all to help? That just makes no sense to me.
That it makes no sense to you, or you don't see it that way, does not change anything. It still happens. It may not happen to you, but it happens every day to millions of people.