Beto O'Rourke hits Pete Buttigieg with expletive-fueled swipe over gun-control comments

SamSpade

Would you consider running for prez, Sam? I would vote for you.
"If nominated, I shall run to Mexico. If elected, I shall fight extradition" Mo Udall, 1984 in a variant of a statement made for dozens of years.

There's no bribe, no threat, no award, no prize great enough for me to EVER consider running for statewide or worse, national office.
I'm too laid back, too squeamish, too sentimental, too disorganized to run. I have no credentials that anyone would consider valuable.
Every kid I knew in school, every former girlfriend, every person who THOUGHT they knew me or imagined they did would come forward.
I have way too many things in my life that would be paraded, distorted, mocked and so on. And the payoff is terrible. Very few Presidents in
my lifetime are remembered fondly by most people, and many are hated. It takes a special kind of crazy to run for President.

SamSpade

BTW - I don't recall hearing "boos" during Pete's remark. I don't remember seeing Dem punditry fighting his remarks except to say it's probably a losing premise - none are saying he's wrong, we don't want to take your AR-15s. They support the idea. He's just the first major candidate to say what we knew they meant all along - yes, we want the guns. Yes, the Second Amendment needs to go or at least the idea of individual ownership of arms. When candidates say "you don't need a battlefield type gun" the audience CHEERS. (As though gun homicides are largely killed by those weapons).

There's a reason why the AR-15 is being targeted, but it's stupid. It's the most popular gun in America. Attempting to stop gun violence - where it hasn't been used all that much - by confiscating AR-15s is stupid, because it's just symbolic because it's number one. Can you stop obesity by forcing McDonald's to stop selling Big Macs? No. People will buy Whoppers. The gun is popular. Get rid of it, something else is popular.

It's this idiocy that permeates the thinking of these folks. You don't stop drunkenness by punishing breweries. You don't stop drunk driving by banning booze.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
When candidates say "you don't need a battlefield type gun" the audience CHEERS.
His retarded statements, and those cheers, about the power and devestating nature of these things is a perfect example of how ignorant and moronic democrats have become. First there are no AR-15s on battlefields and second it uses a weak round.

If one of these shooters were to use a more traditional rifle, lever, bolt or pump, something any decent med-large game cartridge the dead/wound ratio would climb significantly.

Humans being much less hearty than most game animals, imagine how many bodies a 30:06, 7mm Rem, .338, 35 Whelen or 375 H&H could pass through before it stopped.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
"You folks".

Of course - we have a hive mind. We're clones and cannot think separately. Hence "you folks".

Stats may be my bailiwick, but I only have a modest amount of faith in polls. You can do a survey - which is what I've been doing for twenty years - on data like employment, fees, prices, inventory - stuff like that, because it's hard data. Opinion polls are much harder - you can only get so close, and opinions unlike most hard data can change in an instant. Worse, when doing an opinion poll, it matters greatly how questions are worded.

My apologies, there have been countless posts about how all 2016 polls indicated "Hillary would so how could Trump have won?" ergo polls are pointless.

I explained the lack of logic several times to these arguments, but it was pointless.

I never saw a response by you so I assumed you felt the same, I was wrong.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
BTW - I don't recall hearing "boos" during Pete's remark. I don't remember seeing Dem punditry fighting his remarks except to say it's probably a losing premise - none are saying he's wrong, we don't want to take your AR-15s. They support the idea. He's just the first major candidate to say what we knew they meant all along - yes, we want the guns. Yes, the Second Amendment needs to go or at least the idea of individual ownership of arms. When candidates say "you don't need a battlefield type gun" the audience CHEERS. (As though gun homicides are largely killed by those weapons).

Pete's remark? What are you talking about?

Beto said these things, Buttigieg pushed against it, that was the entire point to the article that started this thread.

Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., appeared on CNN’s “State of the Union” and agreed with Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., saying the clip of the former O’Rourke’s statement about AR-15s and AK-47s “will be played for years at Second Amendment rallies with organizations that try to scare people by saying Democrats are coming for your guns.”

I'm continually flabbergasted by how seemingly intelligent persons in this forum make such mistakes, it has to be intentional, pushing some false narrative. You've now lumped Buttigieg into the camp of saying that the government was coming to take guns. That isn't what was said, not even close, but you wrote it with such confidence and I guarantee that if I hadn't pointed this lie out it would remain here unquestioned.

SamSpade

My apologies

(Shrug) I guess none are really necessary. We all tend to think the other guys all think the same. I have no illusions about Trump but I laugh at the idiocy that declares him the enemy of freedom and democracy. I endured eight years of Obama. That’s just the way things go.

But polling strongly pointed to a Hillary win. What I find ridiculous is when people believe the POLLS over the election as they did in 2004. Bush won handily but there are STILL people who think Kerry was robbed. And Kerry isn’t even one of them. Why? Because exit polls - one of the least scientific polling methods in existence - pointed to a Kerry win. Imagine. Believing a poll but not believing what it was supposed to predict?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So wait, polls matter in this case? You folks always seem to discount polls, like all the time.

it all depends .. are the methods and methodology published ?

how even is the polling :sshrug: are Democrats and Independents Over sampled 3 or more percentage points vs Republican