Beware! - Marine Battery Thief - Breton Bay

navychief01

Just to inform local boaters that there is a marine battery (deep cycle) thief who struck three to four boats in the Breton Bay neighborhood area over the past two weeks.

Keep an eye on your boat. And if anyone knows anything or may have a hunch were this SOB :burning: is taking people's property to hock, please let the police know.

The local sheriff department is aware.

Chief out.

navychief01

Battery theft update!

Spoke with a law enforcement gent today. If I understand correctly, the recycle center on Saint Andrews Church road had a lot of marine batteries turned in over the past week or two. The batteries are being placed on hold. The perp is being sought.

So if you can identify your battery, I'd give it a shot.

Chief out :yahoo:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I was thinking more in the line of the people from Soylent Green Corporation....

Thorn sneaks into the basement of the assisted suicide facility, where he sees corpses being loaded onto waste disposal trucks. He secretly hitches a ride on one, which is driven to a heavily guarded waste disposal plant. Once inside the plant, Thorn sees how the corpses are processed into Soylent Green wafers. Thorn escapes and heads for the "Supreme Exchange," but is ambushed by Fielding and several other gunmen who are waiting for him. He retreats into a cathedral filled with homeless people. After a desperate fight through throngs of sleeping homeless, Thorn kills Fielding.

When police backup arrives, the seriously wounded and nearly hysterical Thorn confides to Hatcher the horrible secret behind Soylent Green, finally urging him to spread the word: "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!"

Spoke with a law enforcement gent today. If I understand correctly, the recycle center on Saint Andrews Church road had a lot of marine batteries turned in over the past week or two. The batteries are being placed on hold. The perp is being sought.

So if you can identify your battery, I'd give it a shot.

Chief out :yahoo:

So... why would they steal the battery, then dispose of them? And if it's the recycle center, it costs $10 as well.

I could see them swiping the battery, replacing a failed battery somewhere, and turning in a different one, so there wouldn't be anything to identify. However, if the same person turned in all the marine batteries, maybe then can ID him.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
So... why would they steal the battery, then dispose of them? And if it's the recycle center, it costs $10 as well.

I could see them swiping the battery, replacing a failed battery somewhere, and turning in a different one, so there wouldn't be anything to identify. However, if the same person turned in all the marine batteries, maybe then can ID him.

Crackheads aren't known for their intelligence.:lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
My Volt broke down and I couldn't use my green credits to get a replacement battery.

I think the place on 488 in Charles County pays $5-$10 to buy the core?

I don't really know as I have always sold my batteries after a few years. My boat has 4 batteries and my truck has 2; all of them get replaced every 2-3 years just for piece of mind and I get way more than the $10 core charge refund the battery store offers.

That's not a bad deal, if they were smart enough to do that, the lead is worth it. But if they turned the batteries in to the St Marys recycle center, the perps would have to pay to get rid of the batteries.

I'm thinking the battery turn-in at the recycle center is coincidence. The hot weather kills batteries, mine included, so the turn-in rate at this time of year goes up. I just had to replace my truck battery.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Batteries are bringing $10 each at the scrap recycling facility on St. Andrews Church road....that is the first place I'd be checking for stolen ones.

Batteries are bringing $10 each at the scrap recycling facility on St. Andrews Church road....that is the first place I'd be checking for stolen ones.

The OP said recycle center, I was thinking the St Marys landfill/transfer station, where you have to pay to drop off. If they took it to the recycle place next door, yeah, you're right.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The OP said recycle center, I was thinking the St Marys landfill/transfer station, where you have to pay to drop off. If they took it to the recycle place next door, yeah, you're right.

I was just throwing that out there..since it was not totally clear which he meant to me either, but I assumed the one where they pay you 10 bucks would be where a crackhead would take them.

I learned the hard way how little those folks will steal....if its enough to fetch them 20 bucks quick then its snatched and gone.

lovinmaryland

I was trying to finance a trip out to SD from some In N Out...:killingme

Co-worker was one of the robbed....He just recovered his battery this afternoon, NCIS nabbed the guy I guess...he knew his name....I can't remember now...

Well in that case good job :buddies:

But glad to hear they caught the guy :yay:

BPC

Bayview Pest Control

Same thing happened last month at Goose Bay, Idiots stole Batteries and Steering Columns.