Biden has a plan

SamSpade

I get that taxes should be used to pay for services people use - like a toll road pays for the road itself. HOWEVER - experience has shown that taxes are typically NOT earmarked for anything - they go into a big pile and any effort to direct money for this or that disappears due to some kind of expedience. Hence, revenue from gambling in Maryland does NOT go to education - tolls on roads in Maryland are not directed to fix roads.

But I detest the idea that a tax is levied because the government wants to discourage you from doing something.
Such a tax is disgraceful. If you don't think so - if you think taxing gun OWNERSHIP - rather than even purchases - is ok, try to imagine a world where extreme right wing leaders can tax any behavior THEY don't like.

More and more I am favoring some kind of consumption tax combined with a flat tax.

I already find it revolting that the government thinks it has the right to tax you just for OWNING something.

SamSpade

What makes this so onerous is that it is a TAX. If you fail to wear your mask, they're not putting you in jail or fining you 10,000 dollars - but you can ALWAYS be smacked down for "failure to pay taxes".

Hijinx

What makes this so onerous is that it is a TAX. If you fail to wear your mask, they're not putting you in jail or fining you 10,000 dollars - but you can ALWAYS be smacked down for "failure to pay taxes".

It's a well thought out plot.
If they try to confiscate weapons , people will fight. If they tax you into bankruptcy or if you don't pay their abusive tax they jail you, and then take your weapon..