Biden Leadership In America Today

Clem72

NTSB already said this had nothing to do with the accident, and to please STFU.

No wonder so many want to see heads on pikes.
I have watched almost zero coverage of this and I am not a in any way shape or form qualified to talk about trains.

But it seems logical to me that if the trains had better brakes, once a car has derailed (which everyone is saying was because of a bearing), you could slow down the other cars such that less of them pile into the wreckage? No?

So the wreck can be caused by an unrelated issue, but better brakes might still prevent a small accident from becoming a bigger one?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I have watched almost zero coverage of this and I am not a in any way shape or form qualified to talk about trains.

But it seems logical to me that if the trains had better brakes, once a car has derailed (which everyone is saying was because of a bearing), you could slow down the other cars such that less of them pile into the wreckage? No?

So the wreck can be caused by an unrelated issue, but better brakes might still prevent a small accident from becoming a bigger one?
I can not see how better brakes would have helped in this situation. Preliminary reports are saying as soon as the engineers became aware of the hot bearing (via a working hot box detector), he immediately began slowing the train down.

SamSpade

What I read was, the relaxation of rules on brakes mentioned would not have applied to this kind of train - hence the blame Trump argument falls apart quickly.

An O-Ring - a bearing - it is kind of amazing that one little detail could be so catastrophic. But it seems to me the biggest blunder was the BURNING OF THE TOXIC MATERIAL. Shades of "Return of the Living Dead" when the idiots decide to get rid of the corpses by spreading the toxin that created them to the entire town via the crematorium.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
What I read was, the relaxation of rules on brakes mentioned would not have applied to this kind of train - hence the blame Trump argument falls apart quickly.
I'm thinking Clem meant better brakes in general, across the board? Not subject to the 'how many toxic cars' limitation.

Clem72

I can not see how better brakes would have helped in this situation. Preliminary reports are saying as soon as the engineers became aware of the hot bearing (via a working hot box detector), he immediately began slowing the train down.
Uh, wait a minute. If what you say is accurate, all else being equal, wouldn't better brakes mean slower train mean less train cars exiting the track?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But it seems logical to me that if the trains had better brakes,

Nope millions of pounds of moving inertia ...

Where one GE ES44AC locomotive weights approximately 212 tons (468,000 lbs) and one empty grain hopper car about 31 tons (68,380 lbs).

The newer grain hopper cars can haul up to 100 tons (220,000 lbs) of wheat fully loaded, almost the same as for the coal cars, which would translate to approximately 130 tons (286,600 lbs) per car

A train made out of 4 locomotives GE ES44AC, and 140 empty grain hopper cars would weigh about 5,188 tons or about 11,500,000 lbs.

So How Much Does A Freight Train Weigh

how much does a train weigh

Old trains have personality, thy have character and there is nothing like the sound of them!
For example an average grain pulling train train would weigh approximately 19,188 tons (42,328,754 lbs).

Of that weight 848 tons (1,869,519 lbs) would be the total weight of the locomotives and 18,340 tons (40,432,778 lbs) the total weight of the loaded grain hopper cars.

Clem72

Nope millions of pounds of moving inertia ...

Where one GE ES44AC locomotive weights approximately 212 tons (468,000 lbs) and one empty grain hopper car about 31 tons (68,380 lbs).

The newer grain hopper cars can haul up to 100 tons (220,000 lbs) of wheat fully loaded, almost the same as for the coal cars, which would translate to approximately 130 tons (286,600 lbs) per car

A train made out of 4 locomotives GE ES44AC, and 140 empty grain hopper cars would weigh about 5,188 tons or about 11,500,000 lbs.

So How Much Does A Freight Train Weigh

how much does a train weigh

Old trains have personality, thy have character and there is nothing like the sound of them!
For example an average grain pulling train train would weigh approximately 19,188 tons (42,328,754 lbs).

Of that weight 848 tons (1,869,519 lbs) would be the total weight of the locomotives and 18,340 tons (40,432,778 lbs) the total weight of the loaded grain hopper cars.
So better brakes aren't possible and the previous posts are referring to make believe? I understand at some point inertia overcomes the frictional resistance from steel wheels to steel track, I assume the current brakes aren't at that maximal point otherwise they wouldn't have been discussing alternatives. I may be ignorant of trains, but I did take 4 years more physics than most Americans.

stgislander

PREMO Member
So better brakes aren't possible and the previous posts are referring to make believe? I understand at some point inertia overcomes the frictional resistance from steel wheels to steel track, I assume the current brakes aren't at that maximal point otherwise they wouldn't have been discussing alternatives. I may be ignorant of trains, but I did take 4 years more physics than most Americans.
The only thing I understand about this new braking system would do is basically take the man out of the loop in applying the brakes. Maybe it can pump the train brakes like ABS in you car, but I've not heard it can do that.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The only thing I understand about this new braking system would do is basically take the man out of the loop in applying the brakes. Maybe it can pump the train brakes like ABS in you car, but I've not heard it can do that.
Maybe if they use the thrusters in combination with the inertial dampeners....

Clem72

Makes sense, faster reaction times and not necessarily a change to the braking tech. I would assume they already pump otherwise they would surely be welding the cars to the tracks every time they stop. Guess they could always toss a parachute out the back

stgislander

PREMO Member
Makes sense, faster reaction times and not necessarily a change to the braking tech. I would assume they already pump otherwise they would surely be welding the cars to the tracks every time they stop. Guess they could always toss a parachute out the back
Or just run more, shorter trains that don't take as long to stop.

What am I saying. That would cut into shareholder profits.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You are giving the shareholders a free pass.
Other than the ones with a Mega-Block of preferre or common shares, I doubt the average shareholders have any real impact these days. I always just hoped the dividend would hold up and let me unload it.

The boards and officers are usually the offenders.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Other than the ones with a Mega-Block of preferre or common shares, I doubt the average shareholders have any real impact these days. I always just hoped the dividend would hold up and let me unload it.

The boards and officers are usually the offenders.
When the majority shareholders are big investment firms like BlackRock, you have to hold them accountable too.

SamSpade

Right wing media is abuzz with The View ending this season and Whoopi out, period.

I don't know if I believe it since I can't corroborate anything on the big media sites.
As with everything on the Internet, there's just too much damned bullchit to believe all of it.

But I don't know how the show can continue with simply being how much they hate Trump, all day.
Damn. It's been two years. Get over it.