Biden n Lemon

TPD

the poor dad
I guess no one here Is watching the town hall on CNN that Lemon is doing with Biden. I’ve tried watching a bit of it but I just can’t stomach it. Between Lemons drooling and Biden’s blabbering it really makes a good clown show.

SamSpade

Did he really say this?

Doesn't everyone in Washington know that until this year, inflation was a problem of the deep past? I recall the 70's. I remember inflation numbers from year to year. They were outrageous, although to be honest, most of it was driven by ONE THING - oil. The worst of it in the mid 70's was the Arab oil embargo - towards the late 70's - the Iran revolution. We licked inflation largely on a few things - getting spending close to under control - better management of financial markets - and being closer to mostly energy independent.

This guy comes in, tips over the apple cart, starts the whole cycle all over again and pretends it isn't happening.

Just like last summer.

Hijinx

The problem is that people with even less brains than Biden voted for him.
There were two types of Biden voters. Those seeking to gain power and those too stupid to read the hand writing on the wall.

herb749

Did he really say this?

Doesn't everyone in Washington know that until this year, inflation was a problem of the deep past? I recall the 70's. I remember inflation numbers from year to year. They were outrageous, although to be honest, most of it was driven by ONE THING - oil. The worst of it in the mid 70's was the Arab oil embargo - towards the late 70's - the Iran revolution. We licked inflation largely on a few things - getting spending close to under control - better management of financial markets - and being closer to mostly energy independent.

This guy comes in, tips over the apple cart, starts the whole cycle all over again and pretends it isn't happening.

Just like last summer.

Back then everyday items were counted into the inflation number, now they are not. Price of gas will be left out soon.

SamSpade

Back then everyday items were counted into the inflation number, now they are not. Price of gas will be left out soon.

USUALLY - the inflation rate is a percent in the change of the Consumer Price Index.

THAT - should adjust - with respect to what people buy. For example, if the price of beef jumps way up - and people buy more pork and chicken - then pork and chicken reflect better on what people are BUYING. It doesn't matter if the price of beef continues to rise - if your typical consumer isn't buying it, it's not indicative of a CPI.

YEARS ago - I used to know a number of the folks who calculate it. Admittedly even THEY thought it was a lot of hand-waving and bullchit.
But it is totally reasonable to base it on what people are BUYING, and not the typical cost of things. Some products have no alternatives - or no easy way to use LESS. I don't plan to buy much LUMBER until the price comes down. I think that reverberates through the whole construction industry.