Billionaire NBA Executive Claims ‘Nobody Cares’ About The Uyghurs, America Has No Moral Authority Over China

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
At that point, Palihapitiya interjected, “Let’s be honest. nobody cares about what’s happening to the Uyghurs, okay? You bring it up because you really care and I think that’s nice that you really care –”

“What? Do you mean that you don’t care?” Calcanis interrupted.

“The rest of us don’t care,” Palihapitiya said bluntly.

“I’m telling you a very hard ugly truth, okay? Of all the things that I care about, yes it is below my line, okay? Of all the things that I care about, it is below my line,” Palihapitiya continued.

“Disappointing,” Calcanis said remorsefully.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One shouldn't expect these people to care about anything but money and power. They have made it clear those are their gods and where their morality begins and ends.

Because let's get real:

This guy doesn't care about racial injustice or climate change outside of how much money he can make from it.

Hijinx

If white men were 7 foot tall and played like larry Bird, there would not be any such thing as a black in the NBA.
These hired Mercs are making money for the owners, that's all the owners thing of them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Billionaire NBA Owner Now Says He Came Across As ‘Lacking Empathy’ While Saying He Didn’t Care About Imprisoned Uyghurs

“In re-listening to this week’s podcast, I recognize that I come across as lacking empathy. I acknowledge that entirely,” Palihapitiya tweeted on Monday evening. “As a refugee, my family fled a country with its own set of human rights issues, so this is something that is very much a part of my lived experience.”

In concluding his statement, the Palihapitiya did not mention the Uyghurs by name and appeared to continue to suggest that issues in the United States are as noteworthy as abuses committed by the Chinese Communist Party. “To be clear, my belief is that human rights matter, whether in China, the United States, or elsewhere,” he added. “Full stop.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Investor’s Uyghur Comments Are Even Worse Than You’ve Heard

The conversation continues:

Calacani: And my response to that is I think it’s a sad state of affairs, when human rights as a concept globally, you know, falls beneath tactical and strategic issues that we have to have.
Palihapitiya: That’s another luxury belief! That’s another luxury belief!
Calacani: I don’t believe believing in the human declaration of human rights that Eleanor Roosevelt is—
Palihapitiya: It’s a luxury belief!
Calacani: I don’t think it’s a luxury belief to believe that all humans should have a basic set of human rights.
Palihapitiya: I think it’s a luxury belief, and the reason I think it’s a luxury belief is we don’t do enough domestically to actually express that view in real tangible ways. So, until we actually clean up our own house, the idea that we step outside of our borders with, you know, with us sort of like, morally virtue-signaling about somebody else’s human-rights track record, is deplorable.

Notice the escalation. It’s no longer merely something Palihapitiya doesn’t care about; he finds U.S. denunciation of China’s human-rights record — or any other country’s human-rights record! — “deplorable.” (That is a fascinating word to choose, considering recent history.) Palihapitiya is much angrier with the people calling out China’s abuses of the Uyghurs than he is with China for actually abusing the Uyghurs:

Calacani: Far from deplorable.
Palihapitiya: Look at the number of black and brown men that are incarcerated for absolutely ridiculous crimes. I don’t know if you saw this past week, but there was a person that was released from jail because he couldn’t even be protected in jail, because in some of these cells they run these fight clubs inside of Rikers Island that are basically tacitly endorsed by the corrections officers that don’t do anything — Hold on, Jason! So, if you want to talk about the human rights of people, I think we have a responsibility to take care of our own backyard first. First. And then we can go and basically morally tell other people how they should be running their own countries.

BOP

On the face of it, I tend to agree with Palihapitiya. I'll have to cogitate on this.

He does need to change his name to Smith, or something easier to pronounce, though.