Bin Laden in the news pre 9/11

B

Bronwyn

Just curious to see how much we knew about Osama pre-9/11.
Anyone have old news clips?

Here is 2000

Attachments

• news1.gif
    news1.gif
    59.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At work on the morning of 9/11, just as soon as the second plane hit the towers, I made
reference to Osama Bin Laden. No one else seem to make that same connection right away.

B

Bronwyn

FireBrand said:
At work on the morning of 9/11, just as soon as the second plane hit the towers, I made
reference to Osama Bin Laden. No one else seem to make that same connection right away.
Was there a reason why you thought of him? Honestly, I had never heard of the man before that day. VERY sheltered.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bronwyn said:
Was there a reason why you thought of him? Honestly, I had never heard of the man before that day. VERY sheltered.

Must have been subconsciously listening to the prior news stories and commentary, but that is the
first name that came to mind when the second plane struck.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Bronwyn said:
I can't speak for FireBrand, but I remember knowing who it had to be as soon as the second plane hit. It had been in the news that AQ had done the embassies and the Cole, so it was extremely likely they were behind 9/11.

Clinton had even launched a couple of token Tomahawks at AQ during the Monica thing, so he even knew who was the problem. Either that, or he was wagging the dog.

B

Bronwyn

Osama was exiled from Saudi in 1994. He was in Afgan from then until 2002. I've been looking through old newspapers to discover at what point he went from Legitimate to terrorist. The first mention of him as a terrorist was in 1995, after he was exiled. I found this old clip from 1975 that mentions the "Bin Laden brothers". Now if I could just fill in the middle ground.

Attachments

• news31975.gif
    news31975.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 88

Barnacle

FireBrand said:
:howdy: Me, too....I did the same thing at work that day. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. I really don't even remember why I knew it was him, but I just did. Weird.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Bronwyn said:
I'd heard of him before. Had training and more learning of him after the Cole got hit.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He issued his...

...fatawa against us in 1996 and I think US papers reprinted it shortly afterwards, if memory serves. Plus, Time magazine interviewed him in 1998.

He was not being confused with Mother Theresa back then.

PJay

All I want know is, when will we get him?

Strange to me this mission has yet to be complished.....

It does not compute!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is a part...

Homesick said:

It does not compute!

...of the whole unreality of the global 'war' on terrah. As a GOP'er, I have felt a distinct unease ever since major combat operations slowed down in Afghanistan and accusations that the administration was shifting it's focus to Iraq leaving unfinished business began.

Nah, they know what they're doing! They got him boxed in, tracking him. Why they've hurt him bad! We'll get him. Any day now.

Killing him should have been mission critical. There is no way in hell he should still be alive or any doubt of his status and that includes invading Pakistan and/or going to war with them, if necessary.

It's like going to the grocery store because we need milk (UBL) and coming back with bread (Iraq), no milk, and arguing that, why golly gee, we need bread to!

Bush has earned every bit of questioning of his leadership and strategies.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Lol!

Bustem' Down said:
I hate this term. It's an open ended slogan and that's all. Just like "the War on Drugs."

How about for terrah, we just say "No!"

No more pretending that we're fighting for our children and grandchildren. No more pretending we're in a life or death struggle. No more pretending that we have to 'win' this or that. Because if this is how we fight when it matters we've already lost.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Homesick said:

It does not compute!
No time soon, that's for sure. With the resurgence of the Taliban in the western regions of Pakistan and the Pakistani reluctance to assist in hunting bin Laden down he will be able to hide and fight for many years to come.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Ken King said:
No time soon, that's for sure. With the resurgence of the Taliban in the western regions of Pakistan and the Pakistani reluctance to assist in hunting bin Laden down he will be able to hide and fight for many years to come.

We need to use some James Bond crap or something. Use the CIA because stomping around the planet with an Army is not a good way to catch someone. Armies are easy to spot coming.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Bronwyn said:

I remember seeing something back in 1999 on him, like a 60 minutes piece or whatever, even before 9/11 he was a whale on the terrorist scale.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Bronwyn said:
Osama was exiled from Saudi in 1994. He was in Afgan from then until 2002. I've been looking through old newspapers to discover at what point he went from Legitimate to terrorist. The first mention of him as a terrorist was in 1995, after he was exiled. I found this old clip from 1975 that mentions the "Bin Laden brothers". Now if I could just fill in the middle ground.

Some of your answer in buried in http://www.snopes.com/rumors/north.asp

Osama bin Laden's hatred of the U.S. and conversion to 'terrorist" status is not believed to have come about until the Gulf War of 1990-1991, when he was outspokenly critical of Saudi Arabian dependence upon the U.S. military and denounced U.S. support of a "corrupt, materialist, and irreligious" Saudi monarchy. (The Saudi Arabian government stripped bin Laden of his citizenship in 1994 for his funding of militant fundamentalist Islamic groups)

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Lenny said:

Osama bin Laden's hatred of the U.S. and conversion to 'terrorist" status is not believed to have come about until the Gulf War of 1990-1991, when he was outspokenly critical of Saudi Arabian dependence upon the U.S. military and denounced U.S. support of a "corrupt, materialist, and irreligious" Saudi monarchy. (The Saudi Arabian government stripped bin Laden of his citizenship in 1994 for his funding of militant fundamentalist Islamic groups)
Yeah, prior to that, we kind of funded him in a way when helping the Afgans against Russia. He wasn't a leader or anything back then, but he was fighting the Russians at the back of the Taliban and we funneled support in there because it's the Cold War.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The ugly truth about all of this...

Lenny said:

...is that bin Laden is right; we do support corrupt, undemocratic nor based in rule of law governments that do oppress their people and we have for a long time. He is also correct that his religion tells him we, infidel (non Islamic faithed) armies should be expelled from their Holy Lands.

We are their enemies. I wonder if we'll ever start taking them seriously.