Binder on Binder & Binder

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
The Social Security Administration pays an awful lot of money to people who aren’t — and never claim to be — disabled.

When a person applying for disability secures a legal representative, then is successfully awarded benefits, the lawyer or advocate who helped him gets a generous cut of the money, paid directly from the SSA’s disability fund. In the first six months of 2013, the SSA has already forked over $642.6 million to these claimant representatives, who have a significant financial interest in getting people on disability.

But these lavish payments to advocates come as Social Security’s disability program suffers from an indisputable money problem. The fund is projected to run a $75 billion cash-flow deficit this year. It could well go broke by 2016, according to an assessment by the program’s own trustees, as well as the Congressional Budget Office.

That there’s big money in getting people on disability is the natural result of both warped political ideology and warped financial incentives. That much becomes apparent after a reading of Charles E. Binder’s recent book, Social Security Disability & You, which would more appropriately be entitled Social Security Disability, You & My Very Fat Wallet.

Binder & Binder is essentially the kingpin of disability law. In 2010 alone, the firm raked in $88 million by representing disability claimants, and its TV and mass-transit ads are ubiquitous.
Binder on Binder & Binder | National Review Online

#1 - Their ads drive me nuts!!!

#2 - It really pisses me off they get such a large cut of the awards.

#3 - Congress should do something about SS Disability Fraud and tort law. I think of Slimy Edwards using his personal fortune to run for President.

#4 - See #1!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Gov Offers benefits
People abuse the system
Gov tightens rules
poor people have to hire lawyers to navigate the system with any hope of getting approved
people are poor, so SSI has to pick up the lawyer tab

it might be cheaper in the long run to just relax the rules again

tommyjo

The Social Security Administration pays an awful lot of money to people who aren’t — and never claim to be — disabled.

When a person applying for disability secures a legal representative, then is successfully awarded benefits, the lawyer or advocate who helped him gets a generous cut of the money, paid directly from the SSA’s disability fund. In the first six months of 2013, the SSA has already forked over $642.6 million to these claimant representatives, who have a significant financial interest in getting people on disability.

But these lavish payments to advocates come as Social Security’s disability program suffers from an indisputable money problem. The fund is projected to run a $75 billion cash-flow deficit this year. It could well go broke by 2016, according to an assessment by the program’s own trustees, as well as the Congressional Budget Office.

That there’s big money in getting people on disability is the natural result of both warped political ideology and warped financial incentives. That much becomes apparent after a reading of Charles E. Binder’s recent book, Social Security Disability & You, which would more appropriately be entitled Social Security Disability, You & My Very Fat Wallet.

Binder & Binder is essentially the kingpin of disability law. In 2010 alone, the firm raked in $88 million by representing disability claimants, and its TV and mass-transit ads are ubiquitous.

(sigh)...so the first problem with the section you quoted is that SSDI will not "go broke" in 2016. Why can't reporters and individuals understand this? When making the report public, the administrator of SSA warned reporters that no program is "going broke" and that it should not be reported as such.

The various programs will be unable to pay full benefits as the trust funds exhaust. Revenue will continue to come in from taxes that will be used to pay benefits. The simple math is that current revenue projections are less than full benefit payments....so unless changes are made benefit payments will not be able to exceed tax revenue. Simple problem, complex solution.

The second problem is your #2 comment and is typical of the inability of folks here to understand scale. Total payouts for SSDI in 2012 were $140 billion. Trustees Report Summary Have you ever filled out an SSDI questionnaire? Known someone who has had to go thru the process? Do you even know what the SSDI definition of "disabled" is? Look it up, factor in the avg American's inability to fill out forms and follow directions, factor in the glacial pace at which govt benefit's processes move, factor in the emotional and financial toll disability takes on a family, then you'll understand why most applicants turn to legal help.

Your #3 is hilarious. Congress can't agree on what to have for lunch...mainly because we are electing fanatics who have no understanding of gov't or governing. Guess that's what happens when Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, briebart, Fox, maddow, Sharpton, MSNBC...etc are considered "news" sources...and the avg American can't be bothered to actually read a simple report...because they can't be pulled away from Nancy Grace or American Idol.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So TJ, you dispute that the number of people on SS disability has not risen meteorically, as discussed in so many places like at the link below. (The notoriously right-wing NPR)

On what basis do you dispute that?

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

I broke my back in 3 places and have 7 vertebral fusions in sequence. Should I go for some of that disability gravy before its all sopped up?

Last edited:

dachsom

I am currently trying to get my disability. I tried for 4 years without an attorney and I finally had to hire one last year. The papers I signed for both the attorney and SS state that the attorney fees are capped at 33% or 6000.00 whichever is less and that is paid from the disability monies I am due from the date of disability. Also out of that money, I have to reimburse the state for the TDAP i get every month. SS does not pay attorneys from anywhere but the claimant's settlement, if there is one. If I lose, the lawyer gets nothing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The various programs will be unable to pay full benefits as the trust funds exhaust. Revenue will continue to come in from taxes that will be used to pay benefits. The simple math is that current revenue projections are less than full benefit payments....so unless changes are made benefit payments will not be able to exceed tax revenue. Simple problem, complex solution.

the Gov will pay out more and more, as people retire .... SSI will become a huge black hole consuming everything ... when there is no longer enough revenue or borrowed money to run the Gov, and pay entitlements, having taxed the people to insolvency, and borrowed until no entity will loan anymore money ... it will all collapse ... :evil:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Have you ever filled out an SSDI questionnaire? Known someone who has had to go thru the process? Do you even know what the SSDI definition of "disabled" is? Look it up, factor in the avg American's inability to fill out forms and follow directions, factor in the glacial pace at which govt benefit's processes move, factor in the emotional and financial toll disability takes on a family, then you'll understand why most applicants turn to legal help.

My wife and I are very familiar with the process. We filled our the applications ourselves (and have helped some friends who were also approved). My wife has been on disability since 2004 with a reevaluation done just last month. I applied last April and I received the first check in early September (I thought that was pretty quick!). The application isn't that hard. My wife had to see one doctor after the initial application. I didn't have to see anyone.

I would think that mental issues are harder to prove as are some physical injuries. I know a woman who gets disability for her back but can mow her yard and run a vacuum cleaner.

Edit: I agree Congress isn't going to do anything about tort law. The ABA is too powerful to buck for most Democrats who rely on that lobby's money for reelection.