Birchbox

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I've been a Birchbox subscriber for 6 months and LOVE IT. It seems to be a well kept secret because I don't think I've seen it advertised in any beauty or fashion magazines.

From their website: "Birchbox delivers the best products and the best insider secrets, without any fuss. Every month Birchbox members will receive a curated box of luxe beauty samples. Each box will span beauty categories and deliver exciting products that fit into both your day-to-day routine, and into those days when you want to turn up the drama a notch."

Basically, for $10 a month (this includes shipping) you receive 5 deluxe samples* and a little extra something (one month it was a box of 5 tea sachets, last month it was a Kind bar, this month it's a little hair tie thing). They also offer full size versions of the products on their website. For every dollar you spend on product (not including the monthly sample shipments), you get 1 point. You also get 10 points every time you review a sample, and when you reach 100 points you get $10 off your next purchase (again, not including your monthly shipment).

I have an intense need to try new products and this has definitely curbed that habit. Some of the products they've sent have been from brands I'm familiar with, but a lot of them are new-to-me brands that wouldn't have been o my radar. A lot of it has been nice, but not something that I have to have (this is what I love - I get the experimentation out of my system without paying full price).

A rundown of what I've received in the past:

March:
Cargo Lash Activator Mascara
Marvis Classic Mint Toothpaste
AHAVA Dermud Enriched Intensive Foot Cream
Pangea Organics Lip Balm

April:
Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser
Zhena's Gypsy Tea Italian Chamomile
Weleda Wild Rose Smoothing Facial Lotion
LIV GRN C2C Fragrance Collection Natural Eau De Parfum
Zoya Intimate Spring 2011 Nail Polish Collection

May:
Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint
AHAVA Mineral Body Lotion
Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss
Serge Lutens Nuit de Cellophane
DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer Moisturizing Serum

June (this months was a disappointment because I only liked the towelettes):
Herban Essentials Towelettes
Xen-Tan Deep Bronze Luxe
kate spade new york Twirl - 3.4 fl oz
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion
Laura Geller Baked Blush-n-Brighten

July:
Redken shine flash 02 glistening mist
philosophy® purity made simple™ one-step facial cleanser - 16 oz
Zoya Touch Collection (nail polish)
Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse® / Multi-Usage Dry Oil (100ml)

August (just received today so I haven't used any of this):
Amika Obliphica Oil Treatment
Anastasia Lash Lifting Mascara (plus Line Erasing Serum)
Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine Cologne Absolue
Earthen InstantPeel
twistband Hair Tie

Your samples are selected for you based on your answer to a short questionnaire, and my one complaint is that I seem to be getting a lot of perfume samples. I'm picky about my perfume and haven't been a fan of any of them.

So, at the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I highly recommend this for those of you who who love experimenting with high end beauty products but don't want to break the bank.

*I will often receive full sized products (lip balm, a bronzer, etc) that are worth more than $10.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
After the mini-conversation with Pixie and Mig, I'm bumping this because I think Birchbox is still under-marketed and it really is a great idea.