Bit Recommendations?

SugarNSpikes

Hey guys,
Hope you all are beating this miserable summer heat.

Just recently, I started riding my barn owners Quarab gelding. He has not been worked in 2-3 years so I started off slow with basic ground manners and lunging. It was my understanding that he was used in dressage before his current owner acquired him. I hopped on him a few nights ago and to my surprise, he was quite wonderful. He is very light on the hands and gets into a very cute little frame and goes perfectly at the walk/trot but his brakes suck. Everything is wonderful until I ask him to stop, and then the temper tantrums begin. He throws his head, opens his mouth, dips his shoulder and attempts to run into the middle. (Not all together, but those are the responses I've gotten)

I changed bridles, thinking that perhaps the one he had was too big (which it was). Same response. I asked the owner to have the vet out to ensure that he was fine physically and the vet check turned out OK (teeth were fine, etc). My friend recommended a flash noseband but I'm wondering if I should try changing bits, or a combination of flash/new bit?

Edit: The current bit that he wears is a rubber covered d ring snaffle.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

devinej

i'd stick with what you are using, its a very gentle bit. or go to one that doesn't have rubber on it, but the same type. you can try a flash. It sounds like he is worried he is going to get abused in the mouth so keep things slow and gentle. Its more of a training/behavior issue than a bit issue. Do you know John Lyon's speed control exercise and the one rein stop? I'd work on those first.

also, practice on the ground having him stop to the bit while you are walking next to him. keep pressure on the bit until he stops throwing his head around and stands nicely. this will take patience. make sure you only release when he does the think you want. if you release when he is throwing his head around, then you rewarded him for thowing his head.

and try this ‪Emergency One Rein Stop‬‏ - YouTube don't know who the girl is, but its kind of nice little video.

and this ‪John Lyons: Guide the horse through natural movement‬‏ - YouTube

SugarNSpikes

Thanks so much - I ride my horse in a Kimberwicke and that works out perfectly for him but I did not want to put the new horse in a Kimberwicke at all.

Can you use a flash with the Dring? Seems like it might get in the way (but I haven't put them together yet so I wouldn't know).

I've never tried the one rein stop but I will definitely try that out this weekend when I go to see him. Thanks so much!

devinej

definitely learn the one rein stop, its a life saver and a great training tool!!

yes you can use a flash with the d-ring. if it is on correctly, it won't be in the way

erinjograves

Agree with Devine - The only other think I would suggest is possibly putting a curb chain under his chin for leverage. I know it isnt typical for English riders to add leverage to a d-ring, but I have had really good results with it.

SugarNSpikes

I'm not going to ride him until his new bridle gets in on Tuesday, so I will see how he does with the one-rein stop and then go from there (aka let you guys know - lol).

Hoover

the video - freakin awesome. I cant wait to try it tonight when it cools down some. Something new to add to my schooling of Mr. Man-horse.

Duckz

Can you use a flash with the Dring? Seems like it might get in the way (but I haven't put them together yet so I wouldn't know).

Linc goes in a D-ring with a figure-8 noseband (similar to a flash). Just make sure that the flash is lying flat against his skin without any of the bit cheek piece stuck underneath.

Nothing else to add, usually if I shut up and listen to devine she fixes my horse problems :whistle:

erinjograves

i'd just be afraid a curb chain would make her panic more

What I got from the post wasnt a panic thing, I could be wrong. It sounded to me like he was lifting to get above the bit. With a curb chain, or even just a curb strap, it would just re-inforce the downward pressure to keep him from throwing his head to get above the bit.

Now, not knowing if its a panic situation or not, I could be way off here.

SugarNSpikes

So the new bridle came in yesterday and it's absolutely gorgeous. :yahoo:

I rode him today and he was still having fits. He was slightly better in a flash although I could tell that he was p/o'd. I also had to switch bits to a regular snaffle because the rubber was falling apart on the bit that the owner provided.

The bottom line is that he is a good boy, he wants to work and he's not completely crazy (he's manageable), but I think I'd like to have a trainer come out and give a few lessons just to get an expert opinion. I'm not looking to show or trail him, I just need someone to help us have a nice ride 2-3x a week.

covekat

You might also want to try a rubber mullen mouth, if this horse has a thick tongue or low palate the jointed bit may be pinching or poking the roof of his mouth. I would try this with a flash, dropped noseband or figure eight.

Good luck!