Bite/Cut Help...

R

remaxrealtor

Alvin has a mess on his throat. Right at the fold, looks like a bad bite, but also has a slice in it. Swelling and heat...What to do? TIA!

Cowgirl

Alvin has a mess on his throat. Right at the fold, looks like a bad bite, but also has a slice in it. Swelling and heat...What to do? TIA!

If it looks like it can be sutured, I'd call a vet. Call the vet and maybe cold hose it until they get there. :shrug:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Heat swelling I think you might have passed the time to stitch..is it older then a day old? I would put him on some bute and a batch of sulfa tabs for a week..can you do a picture??

R

remaxrealtor

Heat swelling I think you might have passed the time to stitch..is it older then a day old? I would put him on some bute and a batch of sulfa tabs for a week..can you do a picture??

Hey Paso!

He didn't have this when we fed last night. I'll take pics when I go back down...I cleaned it with peroxide and put the light blue goop on it...I was thinking bute too. THANKS!!!!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Hey Paso!

He didn't have this when we fed last night. I'll take pics when I go back down...I cleaned it with peroxide and put the light blue goop on it...I was thinking bute too. THANKS!!!!

I would still do antibiotics if it has heat/swelling..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Do I have to call the vet to get antibiotics?

I keep alot on hand..someone has to have a bottle at the barn..either PCN inj or sulfa tabs...atleast the bute for pain/swelling...if I could see it I would say if I would call a vet or not..but if it were mine I would sew it up myself. I am sure he will be fine...did anyone at the barn look at it for you??

R

remaxrealtor

I keep alot on hand..someone has to have a bottle at the barn..either PCN inj or sulfa tabs...atleast the bute for pain/swelling...if I could see it I would say if I would call a vet or not..but if it were mine I would sew it up myself. I am sure he will be fine...did anyone at the barn look at it for you??

J is taking a look at it this evening, it looks much better this afternoon, but I forgot to take the camera. The slice is right in the crease, so it would be hard to stich, I think, no heat now!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the concern!

devinej

my horse got his throat nearly ripped out by a donkey stud once, couldn't do stitches, so we did sulfa tabs for a week or 10 days, and i filled a syringe with betadine or rubbing alcohol and squirted it up in the hole twice per day, then put furazone or other antibiotic goop in it. kept him far away from that donkey after that! peroxide tends to eat away at the good tissue - is a little too harsh. betadine or povidine iodine is better

R

remaxrealtor

my horse got his throat nearly ripped out by a donkey stud once, couldn't do stitches, so we did sulfa tabs for a week or 10 days, and i filled a syringe with betadine or rubbing alcohol and squirted it up in the hole twice per day, then put furazone or other antibiotic goop in it. kept him far away from that donkey after that! peroxide tends to eat away at the good tissue - is a little too harsh. betadine or povidine iodine is better

Wow, that's good to know! Is the furazone pale blue?

devinej

yep the furazone is yellow, but the pale blue stuff works too - its probably nolvasan - but it is similar, some say its better than furazone