Biting & Nipping

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
happyappygirl said:
I had a couple loaded up in the stock trailer, and was loading the third (a pony who was submissive) and the middle mare bit the shiat outta my back/shoulder as i turned to clip the 3rd mare. Quick as a lick i turned around a you'da thought I was KILLIN that mare :lol: I was SO pizzed!! I was doing more yelling/screaming and jumping up and down than actually whacking her, but SHE sure as heck thought I was killing her, and so did my daughter who as across the way retrieving her son...she came RUNNING to see what was going on. I'm still not sure WHY that mare chomped me, I'd ridden her all day with absolutely NO issues what so ever...she never gives me pause, but that day :shrug: couldn't tell ya what was up her but. I HOPE she related the "abuse" I threw at her to the deed.

My Bud in VA has a Stud Colt he messes with. a few weeks ago he was grooming him, turned his back for a second, and the Colt bit him right under the Armpit. (REAALY SENSITIVE SPOT)

He said after he jumped around, cursing and yelling he realized he probably waited to long to "punish" the colt, since by now he wouldnt relate the correction (that my bud REALLY wanted to administer) with the deed.

still funny imagining him hopping around, hand under his arm yelling "Ow Ow Ow Ow SH!T".

barncat

appyday said:
Personally his belly did not bite me his lips did...my first hit would be in the lips..hopefully when they were still touching my skin.

I agree with ya, the youngin has a habit of nipping while I groom one side and ever since I put the brush in her teeth she behaves herself.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
stargazer0791 said:
Lately, my 2 1/2 year old paint gelding is starting to bite and nip. He does it when I'm petting him.
Sometimes, when I'm in his stall he comes over and starts nipping at me for no reason.

What can I do to break this habit?

What kind of bite was it? This makes a big difference in the discipline you give a horse. At 2 1/2, your horse is very young emotionally. Is he “play” biting or biting to be mean?

If a horse is biting to be mean, I agree with APPYDAY. Make his decision to bite you the worse decision he has ever made. Hitting them in the face can have other negative consequences with head shyness being the major one. So one quick reaction to the nose if you are quick enough to hit right back, then any other reaction should be elsewhere on the horses body. Of course, your discipline can only last a few seconds so that the horse retains the idea of why you are blowing up at him.

If a horse is biting or mouthing for attention, discipline needs to take another route. You should never be mean to a horse who is trying to play with you, IMHO. The horse doesn't know his boundaries at 2 1/2 yet. To discipline this play action, I like to annoy them just as much as they annoy me. I take my flat hand, each time the horse mouths me, and rub their nose, hard but not hurtful, to annoy them. They associate this milder discipline with their mouthing you and usually stop after a few lessons.

These ideas are, of course, only my opinion.

mingiz

Horse Poor
My 2 1/2 yro filly got me one day and just as fast as she got me I got her right back in the lips. Didn't know i could move so fast , plus knuckles hurt for a few after that :boxing: :lmao: But since then she hasn't tried anything else. Usually a verbal HEY at her works. Most people don't understand that horses are different than dogs etc. They think your hurting them. I tell them hey there 1000 lbs your 100-200lbs. who has the bigger advantage. You have to be one step ahead of them or they will take advantage of you. Getting bit, kicked, pushed on hurts! I agree with Appy. You have to nail them quickly or they don't understand why your hitting them.

E

equineaddict

appyday said:
I'd knock the shiat out of him...pop him dead in the lips..if he continues to do it say when I was picking his stall I would get him with the pitch fork until he tried to climb out the window...he will learn to respect your space in no time :bubble:

Almost like Rosered said...bite him back..I'd bite him with my fist or apple picker..you are the boss let him know it..if he were in a herd and bit at the alfa mare she would tear him up and push him from her space (group) you need to do the same..

or you could follow the peta crowd and tell him :nono: until he picks you up by your back and slings you to the floor.

I AGREE! I also have a young'n...2 in March...she goes through periods of nipping, etc., I don't care if SHE thinks she's playing' with me...either way not a good habit...so my question is for those of you who say they COULD be playin...how would YOU know the difference! I know there's no difference in the pain I receive from those big chompers takin' a piece outta me! Either way immediately she's gettin' a whack! Some people pull whiskers...whatever works but WE don't know if they are just playin' or if THEY are actually tryin' to establish a pecking order! Space and Respect...pretty important!

E

equineaddict

Busterduck said:
What kind of bite was it? This makes a big difference in the discipline you give a horse. At 2 1/2, your horse is very young emotionally. Is he “play” biting or biting to be mean?

If a horse is biting to be mean, I agree with APPYDAY. Make his decision to bite you the worse decision he has ever made. Hitting them in the face can have other negative consequences with head shyness being the major one. So one quick reaction to the nose if you are quick enough to hit right back, then any other reaction should be elsewhere on the horses body. Of course, your discipline can only last a few seconds so that the horse retains the idea of why you are blowing up at him.

If a horse is biting or mouthing for attention, discipline needs to take another route. You should never be mean to a horse who is trying to play with you, IMHO. The horse doesn't know his boundaries at 2 1/2 yet. To discipline this play action, I like to annoy them just as much as they annoy me. I take my flat hand, each time the horse mouths me, and rub their nose, hard but not hurtful, to annoy them. They associate this milder discipline with their mouthing you and usually stop after a few lessons.

These ideas are, of course, only my opinion.

And again...Should we STOP and ask the Horse..."Excuse me was that JUST a play bit OR were you doing it out of meaness"? There's no time @ that point and instance to ponder on what action or reaction to make. I certainly don't abuse my horses but they do need discipline to an extent. Just my opinion.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
equineaddict said:
I AGREE! I also have a young'n...2 in March...she goes through periods of nipping, etc., I don't care if SHE thinks she's playing' with me...either way not a good habit...so my question is for those of you who say they COULD be playin...how would YOU know the difference! I know there's no difference in the pain I receive from those big chompers takin' a piece outta me! Either way immediately she's gettin' a whack! Some people pull whiskers...whatever works but WE don't know if they are just playin' or if THEY are actually tryin' to establish a pecking order! Space and Respect...pretty important!

Tonk, likes to .. "nuzzle"??? i dont know the term but likes to mouth with his lips? but his dang head is humongous, imagine his teeth. when he does it i usually rub my palm on his mouth, irritating him, and he generaly stops.

ANY of them that do nip (jessies pony), i go "PlumLoco" on them though, since its a bad habbit, someone could get hurt, and to me its them trying to test us

thats generally the only time i'm "rough" with any of our horses, well except when PlumLoco tried to Tickle Tonk

Last edited:
Appy -

Knocked him in the lips this morning and he hasn't tried biting or nipping since. Hopefully this worked. I'm surprised it only takes one time.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :flowers:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
appyday said:
SAHRAB is that your draft? And older draft...Hes not a bitter they are usually too nice..hes probably just grooming back..

Star if you do it again..yell HEY or NO or something like that as you pop his chops..My stud was mouthy as lots of studs are and if he gives me the evil eye I go HEY and he knows what comes at the same time so it is now moved to a warning..if I am picking his stall and he gets in my space (who wants a stud breathing down your neck) I look evil at him show him the pitch fork and say HEY his ass heads to the back of his stall to get away from me...

Good luck

Yeah thats him, no he's only 6. he's not being mean (i dont think) he's never opened his teeth at me i just dont want them choppers to close

E

equineaddict

stargazer0791 said:
Appy -

Knocked him in the lips this morning and he hasn't tried biting or nipping since. Hopefully this worked. I'm surprised it only takes one time.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :flowers:

Hay betcha it surprised that CRAP outta him too!!!! I hate to raise my hand and smack 'em in the mouth (because of not wanting them to get head shy, etc.) but mine bit me last month HARD when I was bent over scrubbing the water trough and instrant reaction BAM right in the kisser...you sould've seen the look on her face!~ Hasn't tried it since.

E

equineaddict

SAHRAB said:
Tonk, likes to .. "nuzzle"??? i dont know the term but likes to mouth with his lips? but his dang head is humongous, imagine his teeth. when he does it i usually rub my palm on his mouth, irritating him, and he generaly stops.

ANY of them that do nip (jessies pony), i go "PlumLoco" on them though, since its a bad habbit, someone could get hurt, and to me its them trying to test us

thats generally the only time i'm "rough" with any of our horses, well except when PlumLoco tried to Tickle Tonk

JW (Band Man's QH) he's mouthy...but that's just cause he pokes around in all of your pockets looking for treats! Never bitten once just want FOOD and more FOOD! Spoiled rotton. He's really funny too...he'll unzip zippers and of course untie himself too. :lmao:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
equineaddict said:
JW (Band Man's QH) he's mouthy...but that's just cause he pokes around in all of your pockets looking for treats! Never bitten once just want FOOD and more FOOD! Spoiled rotton. He's really funny too...he'll unzip zippers and of course untie himself too. :lmao:

Seen him Untie himself. Tonk likes to grab the strings on jackets (usually around your hood) and take off with them (literally). he also like the Velcro used to hold pockets closed, he'll open and close the flaps on MyLittlePony's jacket all day

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
SAHRAB said:
Anyone who has ever watched horses "rumble" in the pasture, has seen them Kick the Crud out of each other (usually) with no dire wounding.

as mean as it sounds, do you really think your going to hurt a horse?

Typically the "correction" comes more from the act than the actual physical deed itself.
I go by the 3 second rule but I do not use anything that could actualy injure the horse.. ( a pitch fork ) also I do not hit above the neck unless it is right in the snout for nipping...