BJ's is more wise than the CDC or the Governor.

black dog

Free America
Are you saying you would put on the mask in order to checkout? What if they asked you to stand on one leg and hop out of the store, would you comply in order to protect their personal property rights?
First I would have made That Decision when I read the Sign as I walked throught the front doors, long before I loaded up a cart and got in the checkout line.

You have no rules how one should act or minimum clothing stands while visiting on property you own?

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
This brings up an interesting little conundrum. If businesses have the right to not serve people who aren't wearing a mask, why don't they have the right to not make cakes for people/entities they disagree with? Are they private property or are they a public accommodation?
Rember like Peoples said, BJ's is a private membership club.

And as far as the Colorado gay cake The Supreme Court, I believe overturned that case.

rio

I have no problem with a business requiring masks, it's my choice whether or not to go there. The thing for me is that you don't know who really means it until you go in. Some businesses only have the signs up because corporate told them they were required. Some businesses have so many signs on the door I don't bother to stand and block traffic to read them all.. If I get "caught" and asked to leave I'll do it without argument.

Kyle

Having a Beer while the world burns!
PREMO Member
This brings up an interesting little conundrum. If businesses have the right to not serve people who aren't wearing a mask, why don't they have the right to not make cakes for people/entities they disagree with? Are they private property or are they a public accommodation?
You're going to make heads explode asking questions like that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have no problem with a business requiring masks, it's my choice whether or not to go there. The thing for me is that you don't know who really means it until you go in. Some businesses only have the signs up because corporate told them they were required. Some businesses have so many signs on the door I don't bother to stand and block traffic to read them all.. If I get "caught" and asked to leave I'll do it without argument.
This ^^^ Especially the part about having to stand there reading all the signs.

One would think if BJ's meant it, they should have said something when he walked in or was shopping. What's the point of masking up once you've already been all over the place? Walmart etc used to have an employee posted at the door making sure people were wearing their masks (which had to have been the worst job ever). If BJ's was enforcing their mask requirement, they should have had a person doing that.

At this point, in many states, masks are a city or corporate requirement. People don't know unless it's clear right from the get-go. So businesses need to have a highly visible sign blocking the entryway so you have to go around it and can't miss it, or they should have someone at the door enforcing the mask requirement.

If a store had a rule that, say, you had to be wearing black shoes and khaki pants to shop there, and I wander in in jeans and flipflops, at what point do they stop me and go, "I'm sorry, ma'am, you must be wearing black shoes and khaki pants in this store"? When I first go in; or after I've filled my cart, have stood in the checkout line, and am paying for my purchases?

Target optional and if you're fully vaccinated they said it's not required. Plenty of people at Lowe's without masks as well. Things are getting better others have not heard from corporate I suspect. If they're national the corporate officers are probably figuring out how to handle the different rules in different states.

black dog

Free America

One would think if BJ's meant it, they should have said something when he walked in or was shopping. What's the point of masking up once you've already been all over the place? Walmart etc used to have an employee posted at the door making sure people were wearing their masks (which had to have been the worst job ever). If BJ's was enforcing their mask requirement, they should have had a person doing that.

At this point, in many states, masks are a city or corporate requirement. People don't know unless it's clear right from the get-go. So businesses need to have a highly visible sign blocking the entryway so you have to go around it and can't miss it, or they should have someone at the door enforcing the mask requirement.

If a store had a rule that, say, you had to be wearing black shoes and khaki pants to shop there, and I wander in in jeans and flipflops, at what point do they stop me and go, "I'm sorry, ma'am, you must be wearing black shoes and khaki pants in this store"? When I first go in; or after I've filled my cart, have stood in the checkout line, and am paying for my purchases?
When Walmart had an employee stationed at the entry/exit door there main job was to count the number of folks entering snd leaving the building to stay at the numbers that were allowed at that time.
They also told folks to put on a mask. Walmart would also tresspass folks that didn't comply with the mask.

black dog

Free America
Target optional and if you're fully vaccinated they said it's not required. Plenty of people at Lowe's without masks as well. Things are getting better others have not heard from corporate I suspect. If they're national the corporate officers are probably figuring out how to handle the different rules in different states.
I believe that most nationwide chains are following in a short period of time what the CDC posts.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lets not forget that those that own the stores have the same rights also.
Stores do not have the right to refuse service in many instances. "Sorry, gay person, you can't shop here." "Sorry, no black people allowed." That's against the law. So no, stores do not have the right to discriminate.

Speaking of black people, I've noticed something. I have personally seen store personnel walking right past an unmasked black person to tell an unmasked white person to put on a mask. I guess they watch the news and were afraid the black person would burn down the store or something. Rather than being annoyed at this blatant racial discrimination, I thought it was hilarious. :lol:

If I knew any black scofflaws I'd ask them to go buy something at BJ's without wearing a mask, just to see if anyone would reprimand them. :lmao:

Kyle

PREMO Member
They also told folks to put on a mask. Walmart would also tresspass folks that didn't comply with the mask.
That may have been their "corporate" direction, but they weren't enforcing it regularly in California because I'd gone in and out several times last fall and didn't have a mask.

Kyle

PREMO Member
Speaking of black people, I've noticed something. I have personally seen store personnel walking right past an unmasked black person to tell an unmasked white person to put on a mask. I guess they watch the news and were afraid the black person would burn down the store or something. Rather than being annoyed at this blatant racial discrimination, I thought it was hilarious. :lol:

If I knew any black scofflaws I'd ask them to go buy something at BJ's without wearing a mask, just to see if anyone would reprimand them. :lmao:
:yay: Plus, masks are racist.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

They used to have someone doing that. I haven't been there in over a month, so I have no idea what the situation is now. I do agree that it's stupid to let people in and wander about, only to cut them off at checkout. Now someone has to go put all that stuff back on the shelves.

black dog

Free America
Stores do not have the right to refuse service in many instances. "Sorry, gay person, you can't shop here." "Sorry, no black people allowed." That's against the law. So no, stores do not have the right to discriminate.
I believe everyones aware of that,

As long as businesses can offer legitimate reasons for refusing service, and they're applied equally to everyone, there likely won't be a problem. As a small business owner, you have the right to refuse service to customers for certain reasons: for example, if people are being disruptive or intoxicated.

black dog

Free America
That may have been their "corporate" direction, but they weren't enforcing it regularly in California because I'd gone in and out several times last fall and didn't have a mask.
Yes, local management makes a huge difference with how stores are run.
Like the 3 Walmarts near me, two have over 2 mil a year in theft and the other under a half mill, guess what store trespasses and follows through with having shoplifting and the court system?

Clem72

There are always two sides to a story. They are not the Mask Police, and they nipped it at the checkout line. The offer was to be an adult and put a mask on to check out. And i'm sure it was posted on the front door.
Would you open a fence gate that had a sleeping dog on the front porch along with a sign on the gate that said Treaspass and that Dog will Bite?
Some people definitely would. Sign doesn't wave your liability and there are always people looking to make a buck from suing you.