Black NYT Writer Mocks Blacks Testifying Against Slave Reparations: They ‘Have No Apparent Qualifications Other Than Being Black’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A black writer for The New York Times, apparently incensed that other blacks might not support the move toward reparations for American slavery, ripped the black witnesses testifying against reparations, tweeting that the witnesses “have no apparent qualifications other than being black.”

As The College Fix notes, New York Times writer Jamelle Bouie, formerly chief political correspondent for Slate Magazine, was infuriated by the idea of former NFL player Burgess Owens and Columbia University philosophy major Coleman Hughes testifying, writing on Twitter:
so will the republican members of the subcommittee on the constitution, civil rights, and civil liberties have anyone serious speaking against reparations or will they just invite candace owens again to do her thing? according to @emarvelous it looks like they’ll have this guy who wrote an op-ed and a college sophomore up against [checks notes] economists, experts, a US senator, and Ta-Nehisi Coates, who brought this all into the mainstream. it is indicative of the fundamental contempt republicans have for this conversation that their speakers have no apparent qualifications other than being black.
so will the republican members of the subcommittee on the constitution, civil rights, and civil liberties have anyone serious speaking against reparations or will they just invite candace owens again to do her thing?
— b-boy bouiebaisse (@jbouie) June 19, 2019

https://www.dailywire.com/news/48629/black-nyt-writer-mocks-blacks-testifying-against-hank-berrien

SamSpade

So - would the writer be against THEM receiving reparations?

Among the MANY reasons for not doing it - would ANYONE with an African slave ancestor qualify?
For example, the descendants of Sally Hemings - the slave of Thomas Jefferson - has descendants that
would be absolutely be considered white. A lot of them. Would Africans who came here but were never slaves -
would their descendants not be eligible? If I have a black slave ancestor - would I be eligible?
To put it simply - who would qualify?

As near as I can tell, reparations is intended as one means to rectify a culture and experience that has
disadvantaged blacks in this nation. If THAT is the case, any black person would qualify, even if they arrived in
the U.S. yesterday. But it is not as thought countless efforts have not been expended to rectify matters since
at least the Civil Rights era - have they been without merit? So should we continue those and just go with
reparations?

I can't come up with a logical, practical answer to all this. I can't see how reparations resolves ANYTHING, unless
it's somehow a money grab to be continued in perpetuity. Then it's just buying votes.

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
would ANYONE with an African slave ancestor qualify?

Tasi Coats was arguing that Reparations isn't just about slavery but continued abuse of African Americans through the 20th century at the federal level

As near as I can tell, reparations is intended as one means to rectify a culture and experience that has disadvantaged blacks in this nation.

I have a friend in Uganda, she laughs her ass off at Politics in America especially Reparations ... the thought of being OWED something by one group of people because of what happened in history .... and political corruption to her is when the current gov. shuts of ELECTRICITY for a week to keep an opposition leader from giving a speech

Last edited:
Reactions: BOP

glhs837

Power with Control
I think he means the R's need someone like DAnny Glover, you know, an expert on these things. Oh, wait, he's there because he's black and famous. Never mind.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I think he means the R's need someone like DAnny Glover, you know, an expert on these things. Oh, wait, he's there because he's black and famous. Never mind.
Funny how they never see their reflection in the mirror, isnt it? :lmao:

Hijinx

Reparations will solve nothing. Blacks will still hate whites, many will still be poor and living in ghetto's and killing each other and dealing drugs.
It will not bring up their high school ratings, or their college SAT scores.It will not make them give up their racial prejudices.
They will continue to cry about discrimination, it will not stop Affirmative Action from giving them jobs they don't qualify for.
It will not change their work ethic or get them to work on time.

Yes this post uses a lot of the complaints voiced about blacks , but the fact remains that reparations will change nothing.
It will give them a few dollars to piss away for a short time.
It will certainly right no wrong, nor will it stop them from moaning that their ancestor was a slave.
It's a flagrant attempt to get something for nothing.

herb749

Reparations will solve nothing. Blacks will still hate whites, many will still be poor and living in ghetto's and killing each other and dealing drugs.
It will not bring up their high school ratings, or their college SAT scores.It will not make them give up their racial prejudices.
They will continue to cry about discrimination, it will not stop Affirmative Action from giving them jobs they don't qualify for.

Yes this post uses a lot of the complaints voiced about blacks , but the fact remains that reparations will change nothing.
It will certainly right no wrong, nor will it stop them from moaning that their ancestor was a slave.

And then ask for more a few years later.

MiddleGround

I just wonder when someone will step up and call it what it is. Reparations = A check.

This whole "reparations" thing kinda reminds me of when people never put the 'illegal' before the 'immigrants'

SamSpade

stroke em a check ... make it a million dollars ... end all set asides, jobs programs, affirmative action
But it won't be a one time thing - if for some insane reason they pass it - it will be continual,
like every other program designed to "help". Keep paying until things are better. Which they
won't be, because there will always be someone else to tell people nothing has changed.

Which brings me to a point I've made countless times - if a program such as jobs or affirmative
action or whatever has not solved or improved something in over 50 years, why does anyone
think that CONTINUING to do it WILL?

This_person

So, who today is injured requiring amends?

States allowed people to own people, and the federal government had no authority to stop it. So, that immediately takes the federal government out of responsibility for the problem.

Both black and white people (and many other colors) were owned by both black and white people (and many other colors) throughout the history of the time after American Indians had dominance of the continent (not to mention American Indians enslaving one another and blacks, whites, and others), but, since the United States was created in the late 1700s it was blacks being owned by blacks, whites, and many other colors.

So, you can see an inherent problem with reparations: while black people are the main ones injured, (a) no one alive today was injured by it, (b) the federal government had no authority to stop it (making it a state issue), (c) black people were also perpetrators, making whether or not they get paid a sticky subject - does EVERYONE get paid, or just those who can prove that all of their ancestors were at some point owned?

In every way, it's a stupid idea. The Americans of Japanese descent were given reparations - those who were actually interned - by the organization that committed the crime, the federal government. Under the Democrats, the Americans of Japanese descent were interned, which was a violation of the constitution. People harmed had amends made by the group that did the harm.

Reparations for slavery is a group that did not do the harm being asked to pay a group that wasn't harmed.

This makes no sense.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Will there be deductions for the cost of their criminal activities, incarceration costs and those costs of their forebearers from the disbursements, where applicable?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Will reparation funds be supplied by the countries on the west coast of Africa where most of the slaves were rounded up and sold... by their own?

DNA test anyone wishing to requests Reperations and return them to their country of Origin

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Jamelle just needs to ask 1 simple question. Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother.

BOP

Can we use that in a Planned Parenthood commercial?