Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

jetmonkey

J and M said:
Anyone feeding these? I was told they are good for coat, feet, and clearing sand.
I switched to safflower. Grackles don't like it as much as they do the black oil.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I feed them to Peanut. You can get a bag for like $9 at R&D. I know a lot of Percheron people who feed it to their guys, but they feed it because they're high fat, so a good source of calories. They do help with a shiny coat and they prevent fading as well.

J and M

Phyxius said:
I feed them to Peanut. You can get a bag for like $9 at R&D. I know a lot of Percheron people who feed it to their guys, but they feed it because they're high fat, so a good source of calories. They do help with a shiny coat and they prevent fading as well.

How much do you feed? My mare is around 1,100 lbs and I was going to work up to a 1/2 cup mixed with her pellets twice a day.

Last edited:

DQ2B

I feed them as well but more of a treat as my guys are easy keepers. Do be aware however, that they are high in Omega 6 which, if you are going to feed in regular larger quantities you should balance with an Omega 3 supplement.

G

GVF

I used to feed them. Never had an issue with them. We fed a cup a day to each horse.

bosox

I give just a handful to each horse. The plus side of feeding sunnies is I have sunflowers all over my pasture and my manure pile. I have cut the flowers and given them away--and people love them. If they only knew :blushing:

Cowgirl

bosox said:
I give just a handful to each horse. The plus side of feeding sunnies is I have sunflowers all over my pasture and my manure pile. I have cut the flowers and given them away--and people love them. If they only knew :blushing:

That means that out of the handful you feed them, only probably half of it actually get digested. :lol: You might as well just go out and throw them in the field. :lol:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Peanut gets 1 cup twice a day + 1.5 cups of oil twice a day. It's a high fat + high fiber diet. I don't have any sunflowers growing in my field or manure pile and I've been feeding the seeds since March. Some friends of mine have some on the manure pile though. :)

covekat

I just started a few of our horses on BOSS... I have heard great things about it, and am waiting to see for myself!

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Just put mine all on BOSS too... I like it so far, the horses seem to enjoy it too. I use it for treats alot of the times in addition to feeding.

From an new vet and nutrition freak:
"It a good quality oilseed so it works sort of like a hot oil treatment from the inside out. It enriches and moisturizes the skin and hair coat as well as providing a good source of fats for the horse's energy demands. You could do the same thing feeding straight oils, but it is easier to feed and more palatable to the horse. It also contains proteins and fiber for more added nutrition.

Start feeding your horse about 1/4 cup of BOSS and then increase it by 1/4 cup once or twice a week until you reach a level that is working for the coat. A cup a day is usually sufficient for most coats."

covekat

I have heard two cups max a day for BOSS.. thats almost what I'm feeding my adult horses, scaling back a bit on that for my yearlings.