Blacks under represented in symphony orchestras.

WingsOfGold

‘Our orchestras are less than two per cent black,’ says Afa Dworkin, president and artistic director of the Detroit-based Sphinx Organization, which works to improve representation of black and Latinx people in the arts. ‘In music schools and conservatoires, black musicians are represented at only three to four per cent.’ Audience representation is not much better, and yet, as violist Eliesha Nelson points out, orchestras in the States are non-profit organisations intended to serve the community.

Well Boo HOO, who's fault is that??? They're even bitching about the people in the audience aren't being black. As many of you know my wife is a concert violinist that went to conservatories both in Boston and Paris, France, yeah, she's pretty good because of a lifetime of practice everyday. Is this the white debils fault the majority of them have NO interest and should they allow sub standard musicians play because of their color? Mozart did NOT play rap or grab his nuts on stage.
Those damn Danes are wayyyyysist as well.

I have the luck of listening to her everyday. Some are great musicians, I'm just an great lay.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Many of our most revered musicians are black, so I'ma guess that black people aren't interested in symphony orchestra. Because it's surely not for lack of talent or opportunity. If anything, black people are OVERrepresented in the arts.

It's like when they were griping that black people don't go to our national parks. Clearly the solution is to force them.

:rolleyes:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Not many Asians in the NBA. Somebody do something to change this discrimination!

FWIW, Nobel prizes are awarded in 6 different categories. Chemistry, peace, literature, physics, economics and medicine They were first awarded in 1901. 876 men and 58 women have won the award.

16 blacks have won the award. The mulatto US president counts as 1 of them. 12 of those 16 were the peace prize. The other 4 were 3 for literature and 1 of economics. Not a single black has won the award for 1 of the hard sciences.

Are both the NBA & NPP true meritocracies? How about symphony orchestras?

UglyBear

Almost all symphony orchestras already practice blind auditions — which has drastically increased number of female musicians.

So the only reason for lack of blacks on orchestras is that they either don’t want the gig and don’t audition, or are not up to the standard. Either personal choice or meritocracy :sshrug:

Smokey1

Almost all symphony orchestras already practice blind auditions — which has drastically increased number of female musicians.

So the only reason for lack of blacks on orchestras is that they either don’t want the gig and don’t audition, or are not up to the standard. Either personal choice or meritocracy :sshrug:

No question but in the leftist way of thinking anything less than over-representation of POC is racist. Only the numbers count, lack of interest has nothing to do with it according to their "logic".

stgislander

PREMO Member
‘Our orchestras are less than two per cent black,’ says Afa Dworkin, president and artistic director of the Detroit-based Sphinx Organization, which works to improve representation of black and Latinx people in the arts. ‘In music schools and conservatoires, black musicians are represented at only three to four per cent.’ Audience representation is not much better, and yet, as violist Eliesha Nelson points out, orchestras in the States are non-profit organisations intended to serve the community.

Well Boo HOO, who's fault is that??? They're even bitching about the people in the audience aren't being black. As many of you know my wife is a concert violinist that went to conservatories both in Boston and Paris, France, yeah, she's pretty good because of a lifetime of practice everyday. Is this the white debils fault the majority of them have NO interest and should they allow sub standard musicians play because of their color? Mozart did NOT play rap or grab his nuts on stage.
Those damn Danes are wayyyyysist as well.

I have the luck of listening to her everyday. Some are great musicians, I'm just an great lay.

But can she play Foggy Mountain Breakdown?

Reactions: BOP

WingsOfGold

New England Conservatory was a blind audition for 1 free scholarship, which she won. Out of over a thousand auditioned only 8 were selected to even go to the conservatory. Admittedly she was a total dork, bused in Atlanta in 9th grade which she detested. Her initiative drove her to graduate HS 2 years early hence making her the youngest violinist at NEC.
There was one seat at Atlanta symphony set aside for a black violinist via a grant from the Fed. She lasted a year, quit and went into jazz instead.

WingsOfGold

Both are considered Arts.
Absolutely but so is Hunters shiit and the Sistine Chapel. Some equate Zen and motorcycle maintenance as art. :) I'm not saying opera singing is garbage but they aren't making a phenomenal sound out of wood, strings and horse hair.

WingsOfGold

There are some who will tell you that the voice is indeed an instrument that singers must learn how to play.
And I agree with that. Each singer is unique to themselves but there is no set sound that they have to duplicate exactly. Some OTOH sounds like an angel.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Absolutely but so is Hunters shiit and the Sistine Chapel. Some equate Zen and motorcycle maintenance as art. :) I'm not saying opera singing is garbage but they aren't making a phenomenal sound out of wood, strings and horse hair.
Hunter's is a farce. :lol:

I have seen some pretty sweet bikes and tattoos. :neener: