Charles Co. Blackwell Appointed as Human Resources Director for Chas. Co. Gov.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Photo: Alexis B. Blackwell, SHRM-SCP, SPHR, Department of Human Resources director

Charles County Administrator Mark Belton is pleased to announce the appointment of Alexis B. Blackwell, SHRM-SCP, SPHR, as the director of Human Resources. Blackwell will begin her employment with Charles County Government on Tuesday, June 11.

Blackwell has 25 years of experience in human resources management, ranging from municipal government to private organizations. Most recently, Blackwell served as the human resources director for the City of Takoma Park. In this role, she oversaw human resources programs and operations for over 200 employees, reviewed and approved all disciplinary actions and terminations to ensure fairness and equity in programs citywide, and negotiated with unions to identify agreeable terms for contracts. Some of Blackwell's accomplishments throughout her career include reducing Workers' Compensation losses by more than $400,000 over a two-year span, successfully implementing an online employment application program to improve AA compliance, and spearheading the development of an effective safety and health program.

From 2010 to 2012, Blackwell served as the human resources manager of Anchor Construction Corporation. In this role, she directed and supervised human resources programs including payroll functions and staff for a team of 300 employees. Blackwell has served in several other private organizations in human resource roles, including Goodwill of Greater Washington; Post, Buckley, Schuh & Jernigan; the International Food Policy Research Institute; and Howard Restaurants, Inc.

"I am pleased to welcome Ms. Blackwell to Charles County Government," said County Administrator Mark Belton. "Her wealth of experience in human resources will greatly benefit our employees and our service to the community."

Blackwell said, "I am fortunate to do something that I love. To be able to use my passion to serve the community that my family and I call home is an honor. I look forward to partnering with the hard working staff of the Charles County Government to provide excellent service to County residents and businesses."

As the director of Human Resources, Blackwell will be responsible for making recommendations to staff, departments, department heads, and Commissioners about human resources policies and procedures. Her job duties include implementing and directing programs such as recruitment and retention, position classification, performance management, self-insured and retiree health insurance, pension plans, and the grievance policy.

Blackwell is a certified senior professional in Human Resources. Her other professional affiliations include Society for Human Resources Management, Human Resources Association of the National Capital Area, and the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments Personnel Officers Technical Committee.

Blackwell received her undergraduate degree in human resources management from The George Washington University in Washington, D.C.