Blasted Climate Change!!!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Trying to find a day to finish the brake job on my truck. Garage is heated, but not enough room to set up to work and close the door, so warmer days needed. Thursday is looking good, 77*, sunny by afternoon.

And then just a few days later on Saturday...... snow predicted. :lol:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think back to February from my childhood and don't remember very many times that I wore shorts. I'll be thankful for ANY Feb day that I can get outside and be productive now. Back then, bundle up and hike off to Cabbage Alley to get into winter mischief with friends.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My friends from NY called last week to remind me that it was exactly 10 years ago that I took a very impulsive trip to NY. It was Friday, I was at work here, saw a big snowstorm coming, Long Island was to get dumped on. Left work at 5, shot home, packed some things, on the road by 5:30, made LI before midnight. Woke up next morning to a deep blanket of snow. By the time it was done, there was 25". Had a GREAT time. Tried to leave Sunday, not happening, total road closures still in effect. Called work, said sorry, snowed in.

I'd love to do that again. Getting snowed in is the best.

1stGenSMIB

I just did front brakes on my car last weekend. I do not have a garage anymore, so I pray for warm, sunny, winter days to do anything car related. At least the driveway faces south so I get sun all day until late afternoon.

Hijinx

I remember skating on St. Patricks Creek. My Uncle would be there trying to save his wharf by breaking the ice around the pilings and pouring burnt oil around them to keep the ice from lifting them. They used to send a boat down from Annapolis to break the ice so the watermen could get out and make a living. Now no ice and no watermen. There probably aren't over 5 people oystering in the Wicomico today. Back in the day you could walk from one end of Sheepshead to the other boat by boat. No more Sheepshead either. The Swash, Pinochle Hill, Carnish's ,Horseshoe Bar, all gone even the shells sanded over. Heron Island, gone.

Hijinx

My late husband was an oyster man. His bay built had metal on the sides. He would go out first (on the Potomac) and break the ice. The other boats would follow. He made a good living and was tough as nails.
Yes a lot of watermen used to put metal on their boats for breaking window pane ice. Being a waterman in those days was a tough life. They worked in weather most wont leave the house for now. They had to, the Government didn't pass out money in those days. They were a breed that sadly passed away. I remember so many things that were worth remembering, but will never be seen again. I suppose every generation has.