Bleeding Hearts

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
The plants, the plants... Anyone know where I can get some locally. My momma thinned hers and gave me some but I'd like some more. Lowe's was a no as was Longwood. I've found them online but would rather go pick out my own.

Katt

pixiegirl said:
The plants, the plants... Anyone know where I can get some locally. My momma thinned hers and gave me some but I'd like some more. Lowe's was a no as was Longwood. I've found them online but would rather go pick out my own.
Betty Russell's over in Clements has them at her nursery too. She's not out at her stand yet, but back on her farm, she has a huge assortment of everything. Bleeding hearts too. :howdy: If you are going north on 234 from leonardtown, she's the first driveway on Bayside Rd., back a long lane to the greenhouses.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
The Greenery in Hollywood had a good stock of them a week or so ago. They were very healthy plants.

I have two HUGE clumps that need to be thinned. You're more than welcome to have some of it. :smile:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
jazz lady said:
The Greenery in Hollywood had a good stock of them a week or so ago. They were very healthy plants.

I have two HUGE clumps that need to be thinned. You're more than welcome to have some of it. :smile:

:getdown: Just let me know when you're going to thin them and I'll make myself available. My ma gave me 4. Of course they lost their blooms which is ok but the bed is huge and I really like them. More then half of it is shaded by a dogwood so shade plants are good!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
:getdown: Just let me know when you're going to thin them and I'll make myself available. My ma gave me 4. Of course they lost their blooms which is ok but the bed is huge and I really like them. More then half of it is shaded by a dogwood so shade plants are good!

Mine are choking out some of the other plants in the beds in the front of my house, which is mostly shady, so I need to thin them out as soon as possible. If you want to some over Sunday, that's fine. The bleeding heart was given to me by a very dear friend and I love sharing the plants with others. :smile:

OldHillcrestGuy

I have a question about the bleeding hearts, I have one that comes back every year, and about maybe early July it dies out is that normal, I just clip it back to the ground and wait till next spring for it to come back, is it suppose to bloom all summer or just in the spring?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
OldHillcrestGuy said:
I have a question about the bleeding hearts, I have one that comes back every year, and about maybe early July it dies out is that normal, I just clip it back to the ground and wait till next spring for it to come back, is it suppose to bloom all summer or just in the spring?
There are two types of bleeding heart: one blooms in spring for about 4 weeks then dies back while the other blooms in early summer and blooms until frost. You and I have the first one and what you describe is perfectly normal. Clipping it back after it dies back back is perfectly fine. Just don't do it while the plant is still green and growing.

Good reference for bleeding heart.

Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
jazz lady said:
There are two types of bleeding heart: one blooms in spring for about 4 weeks then dies back while the other blooms in early summer and blooms until frost. You and I have the first one and what you describe is perfectly normal. Clipping it back after it dies back back is perfectly fine. Just don't do it while the plant is still green and growing.

Good reference for bleeding heart.

Yeah horray! Lemme check with the fam. Sunday should be perfect!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
MysticalMom said:
Bleeding Hearts are for love and fidelity.
What's for stress relief and not biatch slapping the next person that walks through your door? :coffee:

watercolor

yeah yeah
that is a beautiful plant Jazz! I am trying to figure out what to put out back- to make it nicer- so that when people come over- they arent just seeing two HVAC units and the back wall. I will take a pic and show you- and maybe you can help me? :shrug: You are so good at this stuff.