Blind Gelding in Need - Outrageous

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
Does anyone know about this ad from the classified section?

A GELDING, WHO NEEDS A NEW HOME IMMEDIATELY, BECAUSE HE IS BEING PUT DOWN IN LESS THAN A WEEK. UNFORTUNATELY THE PREVIOUS BUYER WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO GET THE HORSE BEFORE THE PUT DOWN DATE BACKED OUT AT THE LAST MINUTE. WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO PUT DOWN SUCH A LOVEABLE HORSE THAT DOESN'T NEED BE. HE JUST NEEDS A LOVING AND CARING FAMILY BECAUSE HE IS BLIND. HE CAN BE A WONDERFUL COMPANION FOR ANYONE. PLEASE CALL OR E-MAIL TODAY. I'D PREFER ALL INTEREST TO USE MY OTHER E-MAIL ADDRESS: Antoan3100@aol.com.

Is this a joke? They're going to have him put down because they can't sell him? He's blind for goodness sake, why are they doing this to this horse? This is an outrage.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
That is a hard decision. Giving or selling him (if he is totally blind) is not an option, IMO. I beleive that that is unfair and unsafe for the horse. Unfortunately, as children, who completely rely on us for care...they are stuck with him for his natural life.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I would think that a blind horse would pose more of a hazard for anyone who owned him. Seems to me he would spook easily.

Unbelievable

Bustem' Down said:
I would think that a blind horse would pose more of a hazard for anyone who owned him. Seems to me he would spook easily.

Not necessarily, a blind horse can adapt to being blind and have the same quality of life of a horse that isn't. It will still savor a scoop of grain, try to take a treat out of your pocket, and knicker at the sound of your footsteps. It will want to do everything a sighted horse will do and enjoy it just as much. It probably won't be as active and run around as much as other horses and it should be kept away from other horses who may tend to bully it, but it can still be a great horse and a great companion.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Yes, a blind horse is very hazordous to itself and others if put in an unfamiliar enviroment or something/one spooks them.
We have a pony here on the farm who has lost sight in what we believe to be one eye. His equalibrium is completely gone when he becomes excited. When he feels a threat or a change he will spin around (to see with what we hope is his good eye) and he stumbles and falls at times.
I can only imagine how scarey it is to be completely blind when you cant take "flight" and you are not programed to "fight"

Last edited:

Unbelievable

persimmoncf said:
Yes, a blind horse is very hazordous to itself and others if put in an unfamiliar enviroment or something/one spooks them.
We have a pony here on the farm who has lost sight in what we believe to be one eye. His equalibrium is completely gone when he becomes excited. When he feels a threat or a change he will spin around (to see with what we hope is his good eye) and he stumbles and falls at times.
I can only imagine how scarey it is to be completely blind when you cant take "flight" and you are not programed to "fight"

Partially blind horses do have more problems than totally blind horses because they, actually, have a good side and a bad side. Totally blind horses have adapted, much as blind people do and, therefore, fair better. The key to either horse is to place them in safe situations away from horses or things that could endanger them, therefore making their life easier.

bkokoruda

We have lots of blind horses at HorseNet Horse Rescue here in Maryland and they all do fine. We generally pair them with companion only horses they get along with so they have their own personal seeing eye horse to guide them through life.

Beth

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
bkokoruda said:
We have lots of blind horses at HorseNet Horse Rescue here in Maryland and they all do fine. We generally pair them with companion only horses they get along with so they have their own personal seeing eye horse to guide them through life.

Beth
Did you contact these people?

I can vouch for horsenet! my daughter got her morgan from them 2 years ago. Cherokee is the best horse in the world for my daughter. she's kind, and loving, and very patient. she's a retired show horse, who belonged to an older woman who couldn't care for her any more. She does have moon blindness, and as it progresses, she is getting a tad more spooky, but with my daughter on her, who is confident, she overcomes the spookie shadows.

Unbelievable

bkokoruda said:

Beth

And then we have those who are just mean, read this red karma:

Blind Gelding in Need -... 08-25-2006 08:38 AM Passing the burden of a blind 1500 lb animal onto someone is a big difference than a blind cat. plus WAY more dangerous. Putting them down is probably safer and more humane than letting it get hurt, or letting it hurt someone

None of the above has to happen, it can lead a normal happy life sans the sight if someone takes the time and effort to ensure its safety.

Unbelievable

Unbelievable said:
Does anyone know about this ad from the classified section?

A GELDING, WHO NEEDS A NEW HOME IMMEDIATELY, BECAUSE HE IS BEING PUT DOWN IN LESS THAN A WEEK. UNFORTUNATELY THE PREVIOUS BUYER WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO GET THE HORSE BEFORE THE PUT DOWN DATE BACKED OUT AT THE LAST MINUTE. WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO PUT DOWN SUCH A LOVEABLE HORSE THAT DOESN'T NEED BE. HE JUST NEEDS A LOVING AND CARING FAMILY BECAUSE HE IS BLIND. HE CAN BE A WONDERFUL COMPANION FOR ANYONE. PLEASE CALL OR E-MAIL TODAY. I'D PREFER ALL INTEREST TO USE MY OTHER E-MAIL ADDRESS: Antoan3100@aol.com.

Is this a joke? They're going to have him put down because they can't sell him? He's blind for goodness sake, why are they doing this to this horse? This is an outrage.

Obviously we have some hard hearted members on this forum:

Blind Gelding in Need -... 08-25-2006 06:25 PM Dog food. Yum!
Blind Gelding in Need -... 08-25-2006 06:09 PM I agree he should probably be put down. Unless you want to take over his bills

Shame on both of you.