Blood Feathers

M

Mousebaby

My female cockatiel pulled a blood feather last night, only it didn't come all the way out so now I have to take her to the vet to get it taken care of. I lost a cockatiel to losing a blood feather before. She pulled it in the middle of the night and I found her the next morning in the bottom of the cage laying in a puddle of blood. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. If I had heard her struggling in the night with her night terror I would have known and she wouldn't have died.

Sanji, my new female, is in my bedroom for that very reason and now she has a new clutch of 6 eggs. I am hoping the male will sit the eggs while she's gone to the vet. Sorry for rattling on, but I am worried about her. :frown:

Cowgirl

My female cockatiel pulled a blood feather last night, only it didn't come all the way out so now I have to take her to the vet to get it taken care of. I lost a cockatiel to losing a blood feather before. She pulled it in the middle of the night and I found her the next morning in the bottom of the cage laying in a puddle of blood. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. If I had heard her struggling in the night with her night terror I would have known and she wouldn't have died.

Sanji, my new female, is in my bedroom for that very reason and now she has a new clutch of 6 eggs. I am hoping the male will sit the eggs while she's gone to the vet. Sorry for rattling on, but I am worried about her. :frown:

Can't you just pull it out? :shrug:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

I hope she will be ok. :huggy:

M

Mousebaby

Well she's fine, by the time Dr. Forrest and I got done pulling the feathers out he thought he was going to have to give me a sedative! :lmao: He said of all the years I've known you I've never seen you this shook up!

Oh and there is no way I could pull them by myself I am way too squeamish to do such a thing, not to mention he wanted to make sure she hadn't damaged anything else on the wing.

He says she is perfectly healthy and in very good shape for having just laid 2 clutches of 6 eggs each! Made me feel proud! :lol:

T

toppick08

Well she's fine, by the time Dr. Forrest and I got done pulling the feathers out he thought he was going to have to give me a sedative! :lmao: He said of all the years I've known you I've never seen you this shook up!

Oh and there is no way I could pull them by myself I am way too squeamish to do such a thing, not to mention he wanted to make sure she hadn't damaged anything else on the wing.

He says she is perfectly healthy and in very good shape for having just laid 2 clutches of 6 eggs each! Made me feel proud! :lol:

:huggy:

Martha says :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
MB I wish I had seen this earlier...yes if they BREAK a blood feather just snatch it out...if they pull one out there is NO problem..wish I saw this we could have saved you a vet bill..just put her in a towel and pluck it out if not much was out you just pull it with hemostats or plyers...glad she is ok..

You know you are a nut right? Next time I need to sew something (someone) up I will call you to hold them :huggy:

M

Mousebaby

MB I wish I had seen this earlier...yes if they BREAK a blood feather just snatch it out...if they pull one out there is NO problem..wish I saw this we could have saved you a vet bill..just put her in a towel and pluck it out if not much was out you just pull it with hemostats or plyers...glad she is ok..

You know you are a nut right? Next time I need to sew something (someone) up I will call you to hold them :huggy:

I was trained to hold when I was a vet tech, but I never watched, I would ALWAYS bury my face or turn my head. I am as squeamish as they come, especially when it comes to animals because I have softer heart for animals than I do for humans. The vet bill was not that bad, and as bad as I was shook up over maybe losing my bird I would have paid him ten times what he charged me to save her. I will NEVER forget the day I found my Lucy in the bottom of her cage in that puddle of blood. I couldn't bare to go there again. Next time I will just call you. :huggy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I was trained to hold when I was a vet tech, but I never watched, I would ALWAYS bury my face or turn my head. I am as squeamish as they come, especially when it comes to animals because I have softer heart for animals than I do for humans. The vet bill was not that bad, and as bad as I was shook up over maybe losing my bird I would have paid him ten times what he charged me to save her. I will NEVER forget the day I found my Lucy in the bottom of her cage in that puddle of blood. I couldn't bare to go there again. Next time I will just call you. :huggy:

Yes after an experience like that...having so many tiels when I was breeding something would always scare them and you would find one with a bloody feather...simple pluck and "all better" glad she is ok..you did the right thing for sure..

M

Mousebaby

Yes after an experience like that...having so many tiels when I was breeding something would always scare them and you would find one with a bloody feather...simple pluck and "all better" glad she is ok..you did the right thing for sure..

If your serious and ever need help when you have to sew someone up. I will come anytime. I enjoy helping the animals anytime I can!