# Blood Money

seekeroftruth

Matthew 27:1 Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people made their plans how to have Jesus executed. 2 So they bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate the governor.
3 When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. 4 “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”
“What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.
5 So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.
6 The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.” 7 So they decided to use the money to buy the potter’s field as a burial place for foreigners. 8 That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. 9 Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, 10 and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.”
I would suggest you read Zechariah 11. It's the story of a flock of sheep that everyone hated. Zechariah was paid to watch over the sheep before they were sent to slaughter. Jeremiah talked about the Valley of Slaughter, where people took babies to slay them for some god they were worshipping.

Potter's field is the place where the potters tossed their broken, useless, warped and broken pots. Zechariah and Jeremiah were warning the people that Babylon was going to take Jerusalem. Zechariah and Jeremiah were warning the people that things would turn horrible. Those verses from those prophets are tagged by the NIV teachers. I guess today the bible would have said "#blood money" or "#pieces of silver" or "#price of slaughter" or #sinner's demise".

All those people who were waiting for Jesus to come and heal them the next day.... well, someone tell them to go home. Judas ruined tomorrow.

All those children who are waiting for Jesus to come so they can sing and dance around Him... well, someone tell them to go home. Judas ruined tomorrow.

Judas ruined tomorrow, but it's not really His fault. Jesus needed Judas to do what he did. As sad as it seems, Judas did a horrible deed, but it was part of a plan much, much, much, bigger than just money. The man who wrote this Gospel was a tax collector, and even he could tell, the betrayal of Jesus was about much more than thirty pieces of silver.

# blood money

:coffee: