Blood Parrot and Pleco looking for a great home!

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
I posted this in the classifieds and have had a couple of responses - some too far away and some with too small of a tank (or too aggressive of fish) :(
I know there are fish people out there that would LOVE to give our GIANT fish a good home :) We were given these fish with what was supposed to be a 40gal tank (which turned out to be a 29 gal), and it appears these guys have been needed a bigger tank for some time. The Pleco is a Pleco - nothing special just huge, but the Parrot fish is so neat - just has such a great personality :) I would love to keep them, but we're not in a situation to purchase and setup a tank that would be better suited for them :(
I'm really looking for at least a 50 gal or larger for them (depending on how crowed the tank currently is of course) I had one woman respond but she was 2 hrs away and with the gas just couldn't justify the ride (and she had a 125 gal :( That would have been dreamy) If someone is interested, or perhaps could mention this to other fish people I would really appreciate it :) So would our fishies :)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I posted this in the classifieds and have had a couple of responses - some too far away and some with too small of a tank (or too aggressive of fish) :(
I know there are fish people out there that would LOVE to give our GIANT fish a good home :) We were given these fish with what was supposed to be a 40gal tank (which turned out to be a 29 gal), and it appears these guys have been needed a bigger tank for some time. The Pleco is a Pleco - nothing special just huge, but the Parrot fish is so neat - just has such a great personality :) I would love to keep them, but we're not in a situation to purchase and setup a tank that would be better suited for them :(
I'm really looking for at least a 50 gal or larger for them (depending on how crowed the tank currently is of course) I had one woman respond but she was 2 hrs away and with the gas just couldn't justify the ride (and she had a 125 gal :( That would have been dreamy) If someone is interested, or perhaps could mention this to other fish people I would really appreciate it :) So would our fishies :)

How big can a Blood Parrot be??

And what would you consider too agressive a tank for an agressive fish?
I have a 49 gallon tank, and would consider adopting your fish.

J

jaybeeztoo

I have a 55 gallon tank with two balas (about six inches long) and two red tails (about two inches long). I would be interested!! Do you have pictures?

J

jaybeeztoo

I will also be in Charlotte Hall on Wednesday, could pick them up then. :yay:

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Hahaha - well I'm not a fish expert, but I really like this guy and would like to see him in a safe tank. One person who contacted me had two Oscars, one that was full size and puffers in a 55 gal - which to me (from the research I did said that Oscars aren't the best match for a large Parrot, as they can really bully them :( One woman said she had to pull her Parrot away from her Oscar!) I felt so bad because this person was actively searching for a Parrot, but I think her tank was probably pretty loaded and his tank mates may not have given him much of a chance :( I know it may sound crazy but this fish really has personality :) So that's what I mean by "too aggressive", I don't want him to be fish food.
I think I know what Balas and Red Tails are ("Sharks" right?) I think my husband had these before (when we were dating) - I don't remember them being aggressive - do you know if a Parrot would be too aggressive for them? I don't currently have any pictures (we've only had them a couple of months) but the Parrot is easily the size of my open hand, palm and fingers, I'm thinking at least 6 inches. I was excited to get these guys ( I hadn't seen them yet) and we were very surprised to see such big fish in a smallish tank (too small for them anyway.) Like I said I wish we were in a position to keep them and upgrade their tank, but we're not :( They are such neat fish :)

J

jaybeeztoo

Hahaha - well I'm not a fish expert, but I really like this guy and would like to see him in a safe tank. One person who contacted me had two Oscars, one that was full size and puffers in a 55 gal - which to me (from the research I did said that Oscars aren't the best match for a large Parrot, as they can really bully them :( One woman said she had to pull her Parrot away from her Oscar!) I felt so bad because this person was actively searching for a Parrot, but I think her tank was probably pretty loaded and his tank mates may not have given him much of a chance :( I know it may sound crazy but this fish really has personality :) So that's what I mean by "too aggressive", I don't want him to be fish food.
I think I know what Balas and Red Tails are ("Sharks" right?) I think my husband had these before (when we were dating) - I don't remember them being aggressive - do you know if a Parrot would be too aggressive for them? I don't currently have any pictures (we've only had them a couple of months) but the Parrot is easily the size of my open hand, palm and fingers, I'm thinking at least 6 inches. I was excited to get these guys ( I hadn't seen them yet) and we were very surprised to see such big fish in a smallish tank (too small for them anyway.) Like I said I wish we were in a position to keep them and upgrade their tank, but we're not :( They are such neat fish :)

Yes, my fish are "sharks" but they are not aggressive. The worst that happens is the larger red tail chases the smaller one around but there is no fighting. I have introduced other fish to the tank before and have had no problems. I would really love a Pleco to keep the tank clean and the Parrot would be an interesting addition. I think his size alone would be his best protection. He'll probably scare the hell out of the other fish.

Please consider me. I think this would be cool. My tank is very roomy and two new additions would be very welcomed.

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Thanks to everyone for your replies and letting me post this here! Both fish will be moving in with JayBeeztoo sometime this week :) If for some reason Jay realizes I'm terrible at estimates and measurements :whistle: and they are too big for her I'll repost :) But I think she's as excited as I am to see them go to a great home!! Thank you Jay!:love:

J

jaybeeztoo

Thanks to everyone for your replies and letting me post this here! Both fish will be moving in with JayBeeztoo sometime this week :) If for some reason Jay realizes I'm terrible at estimates and measurements :whistle: and they are too big for her I'll repost :) But I think she's as excited as I am to see them go to a great home!! Thank you Jay!:love:

:dance: :starcat:

Thank you!!!!

J

jaybeeztoo

Dearest Parrotmom:

The fish adapted PERFECTLY. I spent three hours cleaning the tank and checking the water temperature and Ph levels.

I introduced them all and the only action was between the Bloody Parrot (Nemo) and the Pleco (Tiger). My little Red Tails were smart enough to hide and the Balas acted goofy as normal.

Here are some pics. They are not the best but it give you an idea of how they are doing.

(The Pleco, Tiger, is HUGE. And I thought my Balas were big :lmao:)

Attachments

• Fishes 008.jpg
    Fishes 008.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 374
  • Fishes 009.jpg
    Fishes 009.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 364
  • Fishes 011.jpg
    Fishes 011.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 385
  • Fishes 012.jpg
    Fishes 012.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Fishes 010.jpg
    Fishes 010.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 415
J

jaybeeztoo

What kind of filtration are you using? It's been a while since I've set up a tank, I miss it!

I have a bubble stone ran by an Aquaculture pump and a Whisper 60 Power Filter.

I debated the screen behind the tank because I like the sunlight to filter in through the windows. It keeps the water warm and bright.

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Jay,
The tank is BEAUTIFUL! I know they are both just LOVING life!!!! It's so funny Nemo (I like that, I called him a million different names and nothing ever stuck :) looks so tiny in that tank now :) I'm thrilled that they have adapted so well!! Thank you for the update, I'll be sure to show Addy the pictures :)

Big Hugs!!!
Stacey