Blue Angels and Thunderbirds COVID flyovers

Miker/t

I think he might have pee'd a little at about 12:00!

They're flying over Baltimore & DC on Saturday. Time & route hasn't been announced yet.

GregV814

A fly-over at Solomon’s yesterday was a big plane, flat bottom fuselage with 4 props, drab color. I don’t know a piper cub from a 737. What was that plane?

Grumpy

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What did this flyover accomplish? Did it scare the virus away?

I feel so much safer now.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

It gave the pilots required flight time.
You should know about that.

What was it when I was in? 10 hrs per month?

Miker/t

Even thought the flyover didn't go over Southern Maryland, we were able to see the tankers orbiting between Andrews and Leonardtown. Then after the last flyover of DC, got to see the teams joining up on the tankers right over Waldorf heading towards Atlanta. I think that was more cool than seeing the flyover.

limblips

PREMO Member
I can't think of any real practical use for either of these teams, except to waste avgas.
Avgas? Not the fuel of choice but to answer your question, as was said earlier, advertising and recruitment. They are also a way to show the taxpayer some of their hardware much the same as when ships are open for tours.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
They should have had some bombers fly over the cities and drop stimulus checks or frozen turkeys.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

It gave the pilots required flight time.
You should know about that.

What was it when I was in? 10 hrs per month?

:yay:

I was thinking the same thing at first - and I'm a huge Blue Angels and airshow fan! Being the Navy brat that I am, I've seen them so many times over the years.

But the 2020 budget is already out there for them to utilize, and since some of the shows were cancelled, I guess this was one way to still fulfill their PR and recruitment capacity. I'm all for the morale, welfare and recreation of it all, too. :yay: