Blue catfish

HGMilstead

Feral strays are pretty tasty if you boil them long enough. Just add ample anise star seasoning, like the Chinese restaurants do.

remember to cook them as you do lobsters. (You may have to lean extra hard on the pot lid though)

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Had some for dinner, very clean tasting but maybe the Old Bay hid the muddy flavor ?:sshrug:
I think the muddy flavor comes from where they've been foraging. I've had catfish from ponds that actually tasted like the ponds smelled. The catfish from the local waters don't generally acquire that muddy flavor. As they're in competition with other species, they've adapted to feeding like the other fish and that's being predatory.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We’ve caught and eaten quite a few and all were excellent tasting. Caught up around the mouth of the Wicomico mostly.
I used to have fishing privileges at Notley Hall back in the 80s and 90s. Many nights we'd catch catfish into the wee hours, stumble home, and in the morning wonder WTF we kept so many.

Last edited:

Kinnakeet

Had some for dinner, very clean tasting but maybe the Old Bay hid the muddy flavor ?:sshrug:
Years ago we would catch Channel cats at the old foot bridge leading to Indian head naval base the large one tasted like drinking a cup of the water they came out of but the little one below 20 inches always tasted great but I guess its all in how you cook them I prefer deep fried

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Years ago we would catch Channel cats at the old foot bridge leading to Indian head naval base the large one tasted like drinking a cup of the water they came out of but the little one below 20 inches always tasted great but I guess its all in how you cook them I prefer deep fried
Cut them into nuggets, shake in House-Autry and a little Tony Chachere's Cajun Creole Seasoning, and deep fry the hell out of 'em! Go easy on the seasoning though. H-A already has salt in it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Cut them into nuggets, shake in House-Autry and a little Tony Chachere's Cajun Creole Seasoning, and deep fry the hell out of 'em! Go easy on the seasoning though. H-A already has salt in it.

We like to use some special sh!t...