Blue screen

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SO annoying.

I booted my laptop this morning and instead of a desktop I got the old blue screen of death. So used the Kindle (ack ptooey) to search for a solution and Microsoft is like, "Oh, this is a common problem with Build (whatever)."

Really?? Then why did you release the damn thing??

And these people want to control our communication and health care and everything else????

"Oh, sorry, that's a common problem with that vaccine. But you can decorate the horns with ribbons or something and make them really pretty...."

:strangle:

So I booted into fix mode and did a restore, which tossed up an error the first time, but worked the second time.

What happens to people who don't know to do things like that? They just get to sit on the phone with some "tech" person in India all day?

These tech tards bitch about all the hours spent on support and how expensive it is... Hey! I have an idea! HOW ABOUT IF YOU JUST MAKE YOUR DAMN PRODUCT SO IT WORKS AND DON'T RELEASE IT UNTIL IT DOES?????

GOD! :banghead:

DaSDGuy

Step #1 when I get a new machine - turn off auto updates.
Step #2 - review updates once a week and note the build numbers.
Step #3 - wait a month and check for any problems on the forums that track MS update crap.
Step #4 - Make a restoration point for the current build.
Step #5 - update only the ones that have had no issues.
Step #6 - use the restoration point to remove the updates when they crap out.
Step #NEVER - call MS for assistance, because I can't speak Bengali, Hindi, Maithili, Nepalese, Sanskrit, Tamil, Urdu, Assamese, Dogri, Kannada, Gujarati, Bodo, Manipur (also known as Meitei), Oriya, Marathi, Santali, Telugu, Punjabi, Sindhi, Malayalam, Konkani or Kashmiri.

Good luck

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Step #1 when I get a new machine - turn off auto updates.
Step #2 - review updates once a week and note the build numbers.
Step #3 - wait a month and check for any problems on the forums that track MS update crap.
Step #4 - Make a restoration point for the current build.
Step #5 - update only the ones that have had no issues.
Step #6 - use the restoration point to remove the updates when they crap out.
Step #NEVER - call MS for assistance, because I can't speak Bengali, Hindi, Maithili, Nepalese, Sanskrit, Tamil, Urdu, Assamese, Dogri, Kannada, Gujarati, Bodo, Manipur (also known as Meitei), Oriya, Marathi, Santali, Telugu, Punjabi, Sindhi, Malayalam, Konkani or Kashmiri.

Good luck
Too much work. Use it until it craps out, then buy something else.

DaSDGuy

Too much work. Use it until it craps out, then buy something else.
But I'm stubborn. Had an old machine running Windows 95 that got the blue screen every week. A little Regedit fixed it right up. Used it as a print server and firewall filter for the rest of the hardware. Other Machines were running WIndows 98/7/XP Pro/ and now 10 and that Win95 kept chugging along. Hard drive finally crashed a year ago.
Box would make a decent anchor but I recycled it instead.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
... "Oh, this is a common problem with Build (whatever)."

Hence the appeal of Apple: everything works. Yes, one is imprisoned by Apple, but at least it's a comfortable safe space (i.e., jail cell).

Having said that, I'll take the red pill every time; no matter how frustrating Windows (or Linux) is. Not only do I like to be able to decide what I want to do with my computer (re: upgrades, etc.) I also feel very strongly Apple has betrayed everything it claimed it stood for.

End of tech-political rant.... Now we return to our regularly scheduled annoyances....

--- End of line (MCP)

Clem72

SO annoying.

I booted my laptop this morning and instead of a desktop I got the old blue screen of death. So used the Kindle (ack ptooey) to search for a solution and Microsoft is like, "Oh, this is a common problem with Build (whatever)."

Assuming you googled correctly, no incidence of the blue screen is actually "common" on working hardware.

It's amazing that windows works at all considering that unlike closed platforms (Apple) their software has to work with likely TRILLIONS of different hardware combinations. Not to mention the fact that most peripherals and cards people plug into their computers use 3rd party non-microsoft certified drivers. And the fact that hard drives and even flash drive go bad fairly regularly and corrupt data. No, people like to crap on MS all day instead.

So to be fair, if you hare having issues like blue screens on a laptop. It's 99% likely the vendor's fault, not Microsoft. So blame Dell/Gateway/Asus/whoever.