Boardwalks at North Beach and/or Chesapeake Beach

NOTSMC

Is there a charge to get on either of these boardwalks? I know the beach has a charge but we're only interested in the boardwalks.

Thanks in advance.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
North Beach Boardwalk is open to walk, sit and/or just look around with no charge.

While people here complain about the "wrong people" using it (and paying to get on the Beach) it's still open to the general public, unlike Chesapeake Beach's.

North Beach's is better anyway. It's got actual restrooms and places you can get ice cream or a drink just across the street.

Be aware it can get really hot on it in the summer (the vendor lied to us about TREX not heating up in the sun). At least it doesn't give you splinters like wood does.

Last edited:

NOTSMC

North Beach Boardwalk is open to walk, sit and/or just look around with no charge.

While people here complain about the "wrong people" using it (and paying to get on the Beach) it's still open to the general public, unlike Chesapeake Beach's.

North Beach's is better anyway. It's got actual restrooms and places you can get ice cream or a drink just across the street.

Be aware it can get really hot on it in the summer (the vendor lied to us about TREX not heating up in the sun). At least it doesn't give you splinters like wood does.
Just got back from North Beach. It's beautiful over there. So much so that I'm ready to pack up and leave to move there forever and I love where I live. We spent probably a good hour just in that little garden watching the koi and looking at all the flowers. Then we walked the boardwalk and yapped at the ladies taking money for the beach about the history of the place. I can understand why they charge, it's probably the cleanest beach I've ever seen and the jelly fish netting a big plus. Lots of people in the water today.

Going back when we have more time to really explore. Lovely lovely area, so glad we went. Really fun few hours.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Just got back from North Beach. It's beautiful over there. So much so that I'm ready to pack up and leave to move there forever and I love where I live. We spent probably a good hour just in that little garden watching the koi and looking at all the flowers. Then we walked the boardwalk and yapped at the ladies taking money for the beach about the history of the place. I can understand why they charge, it's probably the cleanest beach I've ever seen and the jelly fish netting a big plus. Lots of people in the water today.

Going back when we have more time to really explore. Lovely lovely area, so glad we went. Really fun few hours.
Let me guess, they told you about the bikers. Take a lot of what you're told, especially by people who've lived in Town, or around it, for a minute and a half with a 50 lb. bag of salt.

Yes, there was a transvestite bar just about where the new Library is, although it was torn down almost forty years ago.

Last edited:

NOTSMC

Let me guess, they told you about the bikers. Take a lot of what you're told, especially by people who've lived in Town, or around it, for a minute and a half with a 50 lb. bag of salt.

Yes, there was a transvestite bar just about where the new Library is, although it was torn down almost forty years ago.
Not at all. The woman that we talked to genuinely loved the area. I said history of the place - it was more like why Chesapeake Water Park was closed, where we could get some brochures about the area, why they were charging for the beach (made perfect sense to me), the water temperature, how North Beach was a hidden gem, how well kept the flowers were, how pretty the little park was (that garden area) to come back on a First Friday at night, good places to eat.

It really was a lovely day, that place is so different - never knew it existed. We're going back there was still so much we wanted to see. It has such a small town feel to it. Perfect day trip.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Not at all. The woman that we talked to genuinely loved the area. I said history of the place - it was more like why Chesapeake Water Park was closed, where we could get some brochures about the area, why they were charging for the beach (made perfect sense to me), the water temperature, how North Beach was a hidden gem, how well kept the flowers were, how pretty the little park was (that garden area) to come back on a First Friday at night, good places to eat.

It really was a lovely day, that place is so different - never knew it existed. We're going back there was still so much we wanted to see. It has such a small town feel to it. Perfect day trip.
Just out of curiosity what was the reason you were told about why the Water Park closed?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Renovation
Yeah. No it's being totally demolished.
That may change, though. The Mayor who pushed it isn't running for reelection (partly because of the demolition) and his likely successor will reopen it. While not as lucrative as slots it still netted the Town a couple hundred thousand a year.
It was partly because some residents, much like in North Beach, were complaining that the "wrong people" were using it and partly to erase some of Gerald Donovan's public legacy (the Rod and Reel would be his private legacy).

slowlane

Don't forget the Herrington Harbor resort (also called, I think, Rose Haven), just 1 mile or 2 from North Beach, straight up the shore road. The owners claim it was once voted the "best marina on the U.S. East Coast" and has an Olympic-size pool, tropical-themed bar/ restaurant, and a serpentine path with beautiful floral landscaping (which is supposed to be for motel guests only). It's also a good wedding venue. For some strange reason, Herrington Harbor is never spoken of by people in the Twin Beaches. It's as if the County line there is like an invisible barrier that prevents it ever being mentioned, though it's literally next door.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Don't forget the Herrington Harbor resort (also called, I think, Rose Haven), just 1 mile or 2 from North Beach, straight up the shore road. The owners claim it was once voted the "best marina on the U.S. East Coast" and has an Olympic-size pool, tropical-themed bar/ restaurant, and a serpentine path with beautiful floral landscaping (which is supposed to be for motel guests only). It's also a good wedding venue. For some strange reason, Herrington Harbor is never spoken of by people in the Twin Beaches. It's as if the County line there is like an invisible barrier that prevents it ever being mentioned, though it's literally next door.
It's not spoken of mostly because it's private and the various amenities are for slip holders, hotel guests and pool pass holders.
It's also not spoken of because it isn't in either North Beach or Chesapeake Beach but Rose Haven (yeah I know the Zip Code is North Beach but that doesn't make it part of the Town).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

ahhh yes..the good ole days. When I and a bunch of buddies would stay in a cottage in Holland Point and hang out in the scruffy run down hole that was North Beach back in the '70s. Had a blast...and sure wish I'd had the foresight to buy a couple of the dirt cheap houses in town, back then. ;-)

NOTSMC

ahhh yes..the good ole days. When I and a bunch of buddies would stay in a cottage in Holland Point and hang out in the scruffy run down hole that was North Beach back in the '70s. Had a blast...and sure wish I'd had the foresight to buy a couple of the dirt cheap houses in town, back then. ;-)
I looked up the price of a newly built townhouse just for giggles. Yikes!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You know what I find hilarious is that a lot of people who extol the greatness of the Beaches wouldn't have been caught dead in either Town twenty years ago. I see that especially on Facebook and Nextdoor. Well maybe Chesapeake Beach to play the not slot machines.
I looked up the price of a newly built townhouse just for giggles. Yikes!
Which ones?

Last edited:

NOTSMC

You know what I find hilarious is that a lot of people who extol the greatness of the Beaches wouldn't have been caught dead in either Town twenty years ago. I see that especially on Facebook and Nextdoor. Well maybe Chesapeake Beach to play the not slot machines.

Which ones?
I loved it and I'm really regretting now that I didn't plan ahead. I'm trying to think of someplace to go this Friday. We pretty much always do breakfast then wander around someplace that looks interesting.

So today I'm trying to plan for Friday. We're making something seafoodie for dinner on Saturday night. Hmmm thought potato salad with crabcakes maybe. Where did that potato salad come from that everyone raved about a year or so ago. Rolands. Where's Rolands? North Beach or Chesapeake Beach. Dammit. Antique stores we haven't been to yet maybe? North Beach/Chesapeake Beach. Souvenir shops that we're both suckers for? North Beach/Chesapeake Beach.

He'll take me to North Beach again one day but it won't be Friday.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Roland's is in Chesapeake Beach. There are only a couple antique stores left in the Beaches, maybe only one, A-1 Antiques. There's a permanent "For Sale" sign out front. It's on 260 westbound on the right just past the light at the T.