Boat trailer repair

Grumpy

Frame was bent on the trailer along with the leaf spring assembly being ripped off of the one side. It is being totaled by the insurance company. So, new trailer it is - going with a galvanized, tandem axle this time. Boy, they sure have gone up in price (just like everything else).
Prior to one of the hurricanes, my f-i-l pulled his boat to put it in his back yard. The only way he could get to his back yard was via his neighbors driveway. He pulled into the driveway and the trailer split in two. I called around and was able to get 4 hydraulic jacks capable of lifting his boat and 2 15' 6x6es. Had to lift the boat umpteen times, chalk it with blocks of wood, move the jacks, relift and so on and so on until we got the broke trailer out, then reversed the process to put the new trailer under the boat. I was the one under the boat repositioning the jacks on every move, never been so scared in my life. It was an eight hour process but we got it done. Finally got on my f-i-l's good side :yay:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Prior to one of the hurricanes, my f-i-l pulled his boat to put it in his back yard. The only way he could get to his back yard was via his neighbors driveway. He pulled into the driveway and the trailer split in two. I called around and was able to get 4 hydraulic jacks capable of lifting his boat and 2 15' 6x6es. Had to lift the boat umpteen times, chalk it with blocks of wood, move the jacks, relift and so on and so on until we got the broke trailer out, then reversed the process to put the new trailer under the boat. I was the one under the boat repositioning the jacks on every move, never been so scared in my life. It was an eight hour process but we got it done. Finally got on my f-i-l's good side :yay:
I've done that with a sailboat. Fun times, eh?

NextJen

Raisin cane
It's a big investment, but not something you want to try to skimp on. Don't ask me how I know. It's like any investment, buy the best one that you can comfortably afford. Are you looking at a certain manufacturer? I've had good luck with Venture and a local shop distributes them (or did anyway).

Edit: The decals and reflectors aren't always straight, but they're built well.
I had the destroyed trailer towed to TWP Motorsports in Waldorf (formerly known as The Hitch Man). Super nice and helpful group there. They do all kinds of stuff, one of them is dealing in trailers. They spec’d one out for me and can order it and have it in 2-4 weeks. He may have said Venture was the manufacturer - some place up in Sparrows Point near Baltimore. The price was right in line with a couple other places I got quotes from. Figure I may as well put the money into something new as it may help the resale value if I let the boat go in a couple more years. Thanks for the advice!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I had the destroyed trailer towed to TWP Motorsports in Waldorf (formerly known as The Hitch Man). Super nice and helpful group there. They do all kinds of stuff, one of them is dealing in trailers. They spec’d one out for me and can order it and have it in 2-4 weeks. He may have said Venture was the manufacturer - some place up in Sparrows Point near Baltimore. The price was right in line with a couple other places I got quotes from. Figure I may as well put the money into something new as it may help the resale value if I let the boat go in a couple more years. Thanks for the advice!
I didn't realize you already had the old one at a dealer. It sounded like a daunting task just getting someone to tow it and thought the insurance adjuster came to you. I'm glad it's all working out. I was hoping I didn't come off as sounding like I was mansplaining, but didn't want to see you make that mistake. I've learned to match the tool to the job. Life is so much easier that way. The covid lockdowns have surely had more than a little to do with prices of trailers. Inflation is real. I saw it just rebuilding my axle/suspension this summer.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Had TWP place the order for a new, tandem axle, galvanized trailer earlier today. In one to three weeks I should be able to pick it up in Waldorf. Crazy how expensive they are now…..just like everything else. FJB

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Had TWP place the order for a new, tandem axle, galvanized trailer earlier today. In one to three weeks I should be able to pick it up in Waldorf. Crazy how expensive they are now…..just like everything else. FJB
:ohwell:

Do you know if they make custom trailers, or just order pre-made? And by custom, I mean made-to-order, not just rollers and such.

1stGenSMIB

Hi, I have been here a long time, but I don't know any of you personally...If you have/had the boat trailer on a flat-bed, I'd take it to Dave's Trailer in Glen Burnie...looks like you mighta found something in the 'Dorf so I hope that works out. The Hitch Man had a good rep too...let's hope the new guys continue it.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
TWP is ordering from a place up around Sparrows Point. The manufacturer is Venture. It’s a ‘standard’ pontoon trailer made to fit my size boat.
Thanx. I could be in the market for a low-profile flat bed next year. Haven't found any with a width of 90" between the tires, so it more than likely would be a custom build.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Picked up the new trailer this past Friday. It's much nicer than the Tracker trailer that my Sun Tracker Pontoon came with. Was a pleasure working with the folks at TWP also - highly recommend them. I'm almost motivated to take my Tacoma back to them for a lift and new rims and tires. They gave me a quote already for that, just not ready to pull the trigger on it yet.

Had to wait until Saturday when the tide came back up to pull my boat out. Having been in the water for a couple months, the toons are pretty cruddy with some barnacles starting to grow on them. Can anyone tell me if just power washing will take that off?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Picked up the new trailer this past Friday. It's much nicer than the Tracker trailer that my Sun Tracker Pontoon came with. Was a pleasure working with the folks at TWP also - highly recommend them. I'm almost motivated to take my Tacoma back to them for a lift and new rims and tires. They gave me a quote already for that, just not ready to pull the trigger on it yet.

Had to wait until Saturday when the tide came back up to pull my boat out. Having been in the water for a couple months, the toons are pretty cruddy with some barnacles starting to grow on them. Can anyone tell me if just power washing will take that off?
The guys at the yard pressure wash as soon as they pull a boat. They claim it comes off a lot easier that way, and they have a washer that will rip flesh. I'm glad the trailer deal worked out. I'm sure you'll be glad you got a proper trailer, when you take your first road trip. Money well spent for the peace of mind it brings.