Boaters - SeaTow or BoatUS

Tomcat

Anytime
Getting a boat this weekend and am looking at either SeaTow or BoatUS for towing insurance. Looks kinda like AAA for on the water. Both are around $150 for the unlimited tow service. Any comments on either?

MarieB

Getting a boat this weekend and am looking at either SeaTow or BoatUS for towing insurance. Looks kinda like AAA for on the water. Both are around $150 for the unlimited tow service. Any comments on either?

Did you look at AAA

We had their RV package when we had a boat. That covered towing of the vehicle and the boat. I don't remember how much it was, as it was years ago.

I say pay for a tow on an as needed basis. I needed 1 tow in 10 years of ownership.

Same here. Plus a lot of the time there are other boaters willing to help. Now if you are buying a old boat and don't plan on stuff like having a battery back up on board etc. you might get your moneys worth.

RPMDAD

Not sure about AAA, but i am sure the OP, is talking about if his boat breaks down in the water and needs to be towed to shore. I may have misunderstood your response MarieB. If triple A offers boat towing insurance in the water i was not aware.

Not sure about AAA, but i am sure the OP, is talking about if his boat breaks down in the water and needs to be towed to shore. I may have misunderstood your response MarieB. If triple A offers boat towing insurance in the water i was not aware.

Also I believe the one tow that I needed from the gas docks wasn't much over $150. That was before gas went through the roof though.

MarieB

No, they don't. I misunderstood the OP. I didn't realize he meant a water tow.

We were rarely anywhere where you would have been that isolated to have needed a tow, like being out on the sound. Other boaters are usually pretty cool about helping out.

garyt27

INAFJ
Buy the insurance, also read info from DNR about getting a tow from private citizen, I remember some crap about who throws the tow line to who, and who is responsible for what, if something goes wrong. I would say use the tow co. that is closer to where you boat most often.

bulldog

We had a boat for about 6 years and had BoatUS. Had to use it once and was very glad we had it.

Madam Blue

Boat U.S. tow service is great. It depends on whether you are boating mostly on inland waterways or off shore. Boat U.S. for inland and SeaTow if you are boating off shore. I have owned boats for 40 years and wouldn't launch a boat without tow service. Boat U.S. also offers a trailer service for 10.00 a year extra.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated

Need that tow insurance yet? :killingme

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I say pay for a tow on an as needed basis. I needed 1 tow in 10 years of ownership.
:yeahthat: I've boated over 35 years and only needed two tows.

If it's a newer boat, I'd say no but if an older one then you may want it. Are you insuring it? My boat insurance covered towing. $150.00 isn't expensive though.

Sparx

I used BoatUS and the annual fee paid for itself every year. I had an old boat with problems though.