Boaters that go missing

stgislander

PREMO Member
Looking at the NOAA data, at 1300 on Dec 29th, the air and water temps at Solomons Island was both about 47-48 degrees F. One would need more than just a life jacket, especially when boating alone. At least a set of Mustang coveralls with hood and inflatable head pillow.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Looking at the NOAA data, at 1300 on Dec 29th, the air and water temps at Solomons Island was both about 47-48 degrees F. One would need more than just a life jacket, especially when boating alone. At least a set of Mustang coveralls with hood and inflatable head pillow.
If I recall my water survival training (about 30 years ago) without a survival suit one would have about 30 minutes until exhausted or unconscious and a little over 2 hours expected survival time (that is all dependent on your general health) at the temps you posted.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If I was going to be out alone on my boat on the river or bay, I'm wearing one of these.
View attachment 161869
When I was out fishing in my canoe I always had a pfd on.
I wear 1 of these every time I'm in my boat. Very comfortable and you don't even know you are wearing it.

When I volunteered with the state park in Alaska, any time we were on the boat we had to wear a float suit. It was bright orange. It was awkward but you got used to it. If anyone fell into the Resurrection Bay, you had a small window before hypothermia did you in. The suit gave you some buoyancy along with a small amount of warmth. The color made it easy for the chopper to find you.

tipsymcgee

Two questions aside from the PFD: Is there a "usual" length of a time that it takes a body to resurface? And I know for larger things like planes or boats they can do a drift diagram on likely areas, etc. But for something as light as a human maybe that doesn't apply, or maybe also not on a smaller region like the Bay compared to open ocean.

The help Ernie's family has gotten has been amazing, but I'm wondering if they were all looking "too soon" possibly.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Two questions aside from the PFD: Is there a "usual" length of a time that it takes a body to resurface? And I know for larger things like planes or boats they can do a drift diagram on likely areas, etc. But for something as light as a human maybe that doesn't apply, or maybe also not on a smaller region like the Bay compared to open ocean.

The help Ernie's family has gotten has been amazing, but I'm wondering if they were all looking "too soon" possibly.
In warm water, only a day or two before the gasses make it buoyant. In cold weather like now, it takes a lot longer. Without looking it up, I would suspect weeks would not be unusual.

Monello

PREMO Member
Here's the vest I wear.

Potomac River

Andrews AFB pond

Florida Keys

I won't go on the water without it. My time on the water is spent in small crafts where the possibility of things going wrong is greater than what I'm comfortable risking. YMMV

glhs837

Power with Control
So, auto-inflation is a neat mechanism. The needle that pierces the CO2 canister is springloaded and restrained by what's essentially a salt tablet. Immersed, the tablet dissolves rapidly and the spring drives the needle through the seal.

Downsides are that if you are hammered with a solid spray from a wave, you could have an inadvertent inflation. One reason kayakers generally don't favor them. And you need to replace those tablets on a regular basis. Leaving them stored in a high humidity environment can cause the outer layers to harden into a crust like you find in a salt shaker, meaning it might not dissolve. One of my recent projects at work was an air dropped SAR kit that incorporated some of these in about four places in the kits. Placing them into the humidity chamber out at China Lake proved that out. After enough exposure, those fittings failed to actuate when immersed. At least for a while.

Like helmets, I think you shouldnt be required to wear them after a certain age, but if you choose not to, you should be liable of the increased costs of finding/fixing you. And carrying increased insurance for that added risk.

Monello

PREMO Member
Downsides are that if you are hammered with a solid spray from a wave, you could have an inadvertent inflation.

I've fished in the rain with mine. Never had an issue. Granted it's not been a downpour but wet enough.

UglyBear

Very sad for the gentleman. Hope for the best.

Re: life vests. I’m a very good swimmer. “Handsome Dolphin-like, but less rapy “ is a phrase that was used on many occasions.

I have been in many situations where I was tossed from warm air into much colder water, and if not wearing a vest, I would have been dead. Just the shock and disorientation, not knowing which way is up, is too much for a human brain to handle.
I just wear the normal recreational vest — bulky, sure, but it’s guaranteed to work, and you get used to it.

stgislander

PREMO Member

It depends. The racer that rolled his go fast boat at Point Patience was down at least 5 days and that was in warm water.

Side note...He was located not far from where he went under. That hole at Point Patience is deep and turbulent. As Sneakers pointed out, the gasses had to build up enough to overcome the suction.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I'm thinking that if someone fell off their boat in the Chesapeake Bay in late December, a pfd wouldn't help them because they'd die of hypothermia pretty quickly. Feel free to educate me if I'm talking out my ass.

That said, I think the law here is that you must have a pfd on board, you don't necessarily have to be wearing it. I don't keep up on that stuff, but Monello does and he always asks me if I have my life vest on board before I paddle off.

Hopefully they'll find this man soon.
Expected Survival Time in Cold Water
Water TemperatureExhaustion or Unconsciousness inExpected Survival Time
50–60° F (10–16° C)1–2 hours1–6 hours
40–50° F (4–10° C)30–60 minutes1–3 hours
32.5–40° F (0–4° C)15–30 minutes30–90 minutes
<32° F (<0° C)Under 15 minutesUnder 15–45 minute