Boating supplies

Clem_Shady

Is there any store left in Southern Maryland that sells boating supplies? (flares, life jackets etc.)

Walmart Superstore in California has Coast Guard certified flares, flare guns etc. for boats.

Probably won't find them cheaper elsewhere.

:coffee:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
we got our oars..flares..live vest...fire extinguishes at Wally World they were the cheapest..

Anabaptist

There was some major traffic issue trying to get into Solomons so I tried Walmart. The California Walmart was the hot ticket. Thanks.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Now that you've bought i'll give my two cents. I'm all about discounts and saving money and do my share of shopping at Wal-Mart but anytime the words "life saving" or "your life may depend on it" will be associated with the purchase it would NEVER be my first choice. Life jackets? No way in hell. Flares? Maybe but check the dates, maybe go as far as testing one or two. Other than that I wouldn't buy anything whose performance or lack thereof, may cost me my life.

Anabaptist

Now that you've bought i'll give my two cents. I'm all about discounts and saving money and do my share of shopping at Wal-Mart but anytime the words "life saving" or "your life may depend on it" will be associated with the purchase it would NEVER be my first choice. Life jackets? No way in hell. Flares? Maybe but check the dates, maybe go as far as testing one or two. Other than that I wouldn't buy anything whose performance or lack thereof, may cost me my life.

Idealistically, I would not need the throw-able if I was wearing the life jackets that I already own. (Boater's World purchase) And the flares have two years on them. That's much better than the ones that came with my boat. (Expired 10 years ago)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Idealistically, I would not need the throw-able if I was wearing the life jackets that I already own. (Boater's World purchase) And the flares have two years on them. That's much better than the ones that came with my boat. (Expired 10 years ago)

Just keep in mind that DNR and USCG will almost always check your entire safety equipment inventory* and expired flares has to be one of the top reasons for issuing a ticket. ;-)

*If you have your boat inspected and passed by USCG auxilliary every year, the presence of the sticker you will recieve can preclude you from the full-monty inspection. Its still their option of course, but posessing that sticker they are often going to just have you lift the requisite number of life jackets and then just send you on your way.

Oh..and the approved throwable is indeed required for any boat over 16'..regardless of the number of PFDs you are carrying.

Anabaptist

Oh..and the approved throwable is indeed required for any boat over 16'..regardless of the number of PFDs you are carrying.

Yes, I bought one for my 16 foot boat. I made my statement above because the internet troll attempted to mock my Wal-Mart purchase and claim it's unsafe.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yes, I bought one for my 16 foot boat. I made my statement above because the internet troll attempted to mock my Wal-Mart purchase and claim it's unsafe.

Wow, sensitive much?

Your life, I couldn't care less what you have on your boat, I was just giving my opinion as to what I would spend my money on.

You know how much your life is worth better than I do.

Anabaptist

If it was truly a matter of life and death, you wouldn't have waited until the purchase was made to say that Wal-Mart gear is a death waiting to happen. Especially since several posters were saying "Wal-Mart!" Ironically, Wal-Mart sells the same exact brands as every other boat store in the area. (Stearns life jackets, Orion flares)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If it was truly a matter of life and death, you wouldn't have waited until the purchase was made to say that Wal-Mart gear is a death waiting to happen. Especially since several posters were saying "Wal-Mart!" Ironically, Wal-Mart sells the same exact brands as every other boat store in the area. (Stearns life jackets, Orion flares)

And Wal Mart sells the same BASIC equipment all the other boatstores sell. The boatstores have much more to choose from other than the basic, meets the minimum of the law stuff. You can get a Stearns $15 life jacket, but you can also get Mustang or other top of line gear for much more.

It's like a motorcycle helmet. You can go to Wal-Mart and buy the $25 Bell helmet and meet the minimum the law requires, but if you value what's inside your head, you may want to go to a bike shop and maybe look at Nolans, or Schuberth's or Shoei.. It's your head/life, spend whatever you feel it's worth.

SquirrelBait

Look at her SMILE
And Wal Mart sells the same BASIC equipment all the other boatstores sell. The boatstores have much more to choose from other than the basic, meets the minimum of the law stuff. You can get a Stearns $15 life jacket, but you can also get Mustang or other top of line gear for much more.

It's like a motorcycle helmet. You can go to Wal-Mart and buy the $25 Bell helmet and meet the minimum the law requires, but if you value what's inside your head, you may want to go to a bike shop and maybe look at Nolans, or Schuberth's or Shoei.. It's your head/life, spend whatever you feel it's worth.

For the love of god Bob, its St Marys co and your telling someone they should not shop at Wal Mart. :geek: