Bolton out as National Security Advisor

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I wondered how long Bolton would last in that position. I like his hard-nosed views on world politics but it was pretty obvious that Trump did not share many of them. When it came out that Bolton had been strongly opposing the now-cancelled Camp David meeting with Taliban leaders, I figured Bolton's days were numbered.

awpitt

Main Streeter
And the revolving door continues.

I guess Trump is looking for advisers to tell him what he wants to hear, not what he needs to hear. If that's the case, why even bother having advisers?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And the revolving door continues.

I guess Trump is looking for advisers to tell him what he wants to hear, not what he needs to hear. If that's the case, why even bother having advisers?

Or perhaps he's looking for advisors who put America first and aren't running their mouths to the press and making up wild stories to make themselves look important?

Why do you presume it's Trump who's the problem instead of the DC swamp creatures we know for a fact exist?

Trying to find an honest patriot in DC is like trying to find a humble modest woman in Hollywood.

Sapidus

Or perhaps he's looking for advisors who put America first and aren't running their mouths to the press and making up wild stories to make themselves look important?

Why do you presume it's Trump who's the problem instead of the DC swamp creatures we know for a fact exist?

Trying to find an honest patriot in DC is like trying to find a humble modest woman in Hollywood.

When did Bolton do that?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's interesting watching Democrats - who are by and large anti-war (supposedly) - keening about Bolton getting gone. Trump is trying to end our global conflicts, not start new ones. I'm guessing that's why war hawk Bolton just wasn't cutting the mustard.

This just proves beyond doubt that progs will bitch mindlessly about literally anything their mortal enemy Trump does.

Sapidus

Because this is the Third national Security Advisor in less than three years and the 455th person to leave the administration

The problem is obviously Trump

awpitt

Main Streeter

I don't know if Trump is the problem or not but there does seem to be a continuing pattern here. Maybe he's not being upfront and clear with his appointees at the beginning as to what his expectations are and what the ground rules are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know if Trump is the problem or not but there does seem to be a continuing pattern here. Maybe he's not being upfront and clear with his appointees at the beginning as to what his expectations are and what the ground rules are.

If I understand Trump wanting to decrease our foreign involvement and end these pointless global conflicts, surely John Bolton understood as well.

I think these people forget that they work for the President and are not autonomous. Trump is pretty clear and specific where he wants to go with these things, and if the advisor isn't on board with that agenda, they should obviously not be there.

I'd think you, of all people, would be thrilled Bolton is out.

Sapidus

If I understand Trump wanting to decrease our foreign involvement and end these pointless global conflicts, surely John Bolton understood as well.

I think these people forget that they work for the President and are not autonomous. Trump is pretty clear and specific where he wants to go with these things, and if the advisor isn't on board with that agenda, they should obviously not be there.

I am pleased, but why hire him in the first place? We all knew his reputation before he was hired did Trump not? Did they not discuss if their goals and beliefs aligned?

awpitt

Main Streeter

You're right, I'm not a Bolton fan but there does seem to be a problem on the front end. I mean the hiring process. Bolton's views are no secret which is why I was surprised Trump hired him in the first place. At that time, I thought maybe Trump was looking for varying viewpoints in the advice he gets. Based on what's happened, I was wrong in thinking that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You're right, I'm not a Bolton fan but there does seem to be a problem on the front end. I mean the hiring process. Bolton's views are no secret which is why I was surprised Trump hired him in the first place. At that time, I thought maybe Trump was looking for varying viewpoints in the advice he gets. Based on what's happened, I was wrong in thinking that.

I assumed the reason he hired Bolton was to make it appear to various foreign adversaries Turmp is negotiating with that he had an attack dog snarling and foaming at the mouth, on a short leash. Nothing wrong with that strategy...I think, as I stated earlier, Bolton's end came about because his "strong objections" to Trumps Afghan approach became quite public at a time when Trump didn't want it to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I assumed the reason he hired Bolton was to make it appear to various foreign adversaries Turmp is negotiating with that he had an attack dog snarling and foaming at the mouth, on a short leash. Nothing wrong with that strategy...I think, as I stated earlier, Bolton's end came about because his "strong objections" to Trumps Afghan approach became quite public at a time when Trump didn't want it to.

This was my take as well. Bolton forgot he was the dog and not the master.