Bonds and the Babe...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...I'm gonna play prophet and predict Barry ties the Babe tonight. Maybe even two homers to move into second place behind O'Henry.

Question; Does anyone care?

Further, does anyone care that he's a black man and, gasp, will have tied this mythical white man record?

Further, does the seeming fact that Barry is a juicer mean squat?

Further, if so, is he an asterisk record tier/breaker or, simply, as was everyone else, a member of his era?

Lastly, does it suck or does it suck with no NFL?

Nupe2

Larry Gude said:
...I'm gonna play prophet and predict Barry ties the Babe tonight. Maybe even two homers to move into second place behind O'Henry.

:we'llsee:

Yes.

Further, does anyone care that he's a black man and, gasp, will have tied this mythical white man record?

Yes. Charles County is racist!*

Not so much. Was commonly used by more than him. The usual argument is that long fly balls might have been long outs instead of homeruns if he wasn't juicing. No way to confirm that.

Further, if so, is he an asterisk record tier/breaker or, simply, as was everyone else, a member of his era?

See preceding comment.

:yeahthat:

*: It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be if Barry and Mark McGuire were pursuing the record under similar circumstances. Just like most cases involving Americans of differing races, the spectre of race is almost always raised by one faction or the other.

I think McGuire may be receiving a slight pass since he is retired. I say slight because I don't think he'll be a first ballot hall of famer. He most lilkely would have if the steroid stuff hadn't come up.

I hope it's just a coincidence that Bonds, Sosa and Palmiero have been derided by the press and public and not related to the color of their skin or country of birth. I also hope it's just a coincidence that the players suspended for steroid use seem to be disproportionally Hispanic.

As you know, racial and ethnic differences often fuel the fires that overheat the great melting pot that is this country....stay tuned.

D

dems4me

Nupe2 said:
:yeahthat:

*: It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be if Barry and Mark McGuire were pursuing the record under similar circumstances. Just like most cases involving Americans of differing races, the spectre of race is almost always raised by one faction or the other.

I think McGuire may be receiving a slight pass since he is retired. I say slight because I don't think he'll be a first ballot hall of famer. He most lilkely would have if the steroid stuff hadn't come up.

I hope it's just a coincidence that Bonds, Sosa and Palmiero have been derided by the press and public and not related to the color of their skin or country of birth. I also hope it's just a coincidence that the players suspended for steroid use seem to be disproportionally Hispanic.

As you know, racial and ethnic differences often fuel the fires that overheat the great melting pot that is this country....stay tuned.

:excuseme:... :excuseme:... :pardonme:... :sorrytointerupt:... :excuseme:... Nupe, do you have personalized plates that say Nupe? I was following a car this morning for about 5 miles into DC towards 395 north that had the tags NUPE on it... was it you? Sorry for the interruption. :pardonme:
:smile:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Means little, 50 years from now, Ruth's name will still mean more than Bonds. He'll be remembered and sure his stats will be there but everyone will know that they are tarnished and that he was a first class "ouch I PRICKed myself".

Nupe2

dems4me said:
:excuseme:... :excuseme:... :pardonme:... :sorrytointerupt:... :excuseme:... Nupe, do you have personalized plates that say Nupe? I was following a car this morning for about 5 miles into DC towards 395 north that had the tags NUPE on it... was it you? Sorry for the interruption. :pardonme:
:smile:

Not me. Nupe is the nickname for members of my Fraternity...Kappa Alpha Psi (Nupe is derived from our "slogan" Phi Nu Pi)

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Nupe2 said:
Not me. Nupe is the nickname for members of my Fraternity...Kappa Alpha Psi (Nupe is derived from our "slogan" Phi Nu Pi)
A couple of months ago I saw a guy on a Harley with Nupe tags and thought of you. :huggy:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Larry Gude said:

Question; Does anyone care? Nope

Further, does anyone care that he's a black man and, gasp, will have tied this mythical white man record? The record is Aarons, moving into 2nd place on the career home run list is the same as losing the superbowl, who cares.

Further, does the seeming fact that Barry is a juicer mean squat? It does in my mind, but nothing been proven so ya can't say squat.

Further, if so, is he an asterisk record tier/breaker or, simply, as was everyone else, a member of his era? No asterisk is needed, Bonds will never be remembered in the same light as Aaron or Ruth. He can have all the records he gets, but when he wakes up in the morning, he will still be a piece of chit.

Lastly, does it suck or does it suck with no NFL? yes

Nupe said:
I think McGuire may be receiving a slight pass since he is retired. I say slight because I don't think he'll be a first ballot hall of famer. He most lilkely would have if the steroid stuff hadn't come up. I tend to agree with your take on the HOF, but, as with Bonds, McGwire has never been proven to have taken steroids. Admittedly, he used all the power additives(creatine, etc, which weren't illegal at the time) Hell, let em all into the HOF, the glory days of baseball have been gone for years anyway. Bonds would be a choirboy compared to some of the azzhats(Ty Cobb, for one) of the bygone years

:lalala:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
You suck as a prophet. :lol:

Not really. :ohwell: :wink:

It doesn't have a thing to do with it. :shrug:

So far just rumors, so until it's a proven fact, it should have no bearing on it. :shrug:

If so, then he didn't break the record legitimately and it shouldn't stand. :boo:

It must if you're posting about BASEBALL. :jameo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes...

...well...

It must if you're posting about BASEBALL

I didn't say that! It's getting worse as I age, though. I usta enjoy listening to a game on the car or truck radio in the evening if I was out and about...last night as I sat waiting for a voice lesson to end, I just read. Plus I turned down two O's tickets last Saturday.

Come on mini camp!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Question; Does anyone care? I would be more excited if Bonds had spent his whole career off the 'roids. But then, if he had stayed clean, he probably wouldn't have posted such huge numbers.

Further, does anyone care that he's a black man and, gasp, will have tied this mythical white man record? Not me. I know that Hank Aaron was still getting racist hate mail in the 1990s, but I don't know if Bonds gets any of that type of mail these days.

Further, does the seeming fact that Barry is a juicer mean squat? Hell, yes. His numbers are always going to be suspect.

Further, if so, is he an asterisk record tier/breaker or, simply, as was everyone else, a member of his era? I say, we obtain proof of the 'roid use by Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa, and place asterisks next to all their home run records.