Boomer phobia......

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Oh god! The horror! How did you make it out of there!?
Believe it or not, the term "dude" is actually considered an insult in some quarters. Never thought anything of it until a Marine I used to work years ago would (yes, literally) get all violent about if called "dude." Still not entirely sure why it is considered a pejorative by some, but then again I never thought the terms "broad" or "dame" were insulting (again, found out they were).

While I get why "broad" and "dame" are considered by some to be nasty, anybody have any idea what gives with "dude"? I haven't been able to find anything about it....

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Best thread in a long time. Thanks, everyone!

You get a like and you get a like. Everyone gets a like!

Man, that was tiring. I'm exhausted.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Believe it or not, the term "dude" is actually considered an insult in some quarters. Never thought anything of it until a Marine I used to work years ago would (yes, literally) get all violent about if called "dude." Still not entirely sure why it is considered a pejorative by some, but then again I never thought the terms "broad" or "dame" were insulting (again, found out they were).

While I get why "broad" and "dame" are considered by some to be nasty, anybody have any idea what gives with "dude"? I haven't been able to find anything about it....

--- End of line (MCP)
Not to get off the fish topic....but I find the word "dude" from a young millennial that I am trying to spend over $1,000.00 with his employer, spoken in a condescending tone to be insulting.
I didn't get openly agitated, but when he finished his rant, I thanked him for his time and left.

No, I didn't swim.....
TOP DEFINITION
dude
A word that americans use to address each other. Particularly stoners, surfers and skaters.
dude, i'm like......dude

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
While I get why "broad" and "dame" are considered by some to be nasty, anybody have any idea what gives with "dude"? I haven't been able to find anything about it.
Dude, while seemingly acceptable nowadays in some circles, used to be a snarky remark for a citified fellow, a person excessively concerned with his clothes, grooming, and manners (now I think that is termed 'metro-sexual). Think Dude-Ranch where real cowboys had to deal with wannabes wearing hundred dollar outfits, fancy boots and sporting soft hands.

Yooper

Dude, while seemingly acceptable nowadays in some circles, used to be a snarky remark for a citified fellow, a person excessively concerned with his clothes, grooming, and manners (now I think that is termed 'metro-sexual). Think Dude-Ranch where real cowboys had to deal with wannabes wearing hundred dollar outfits, fancy boots and sporting soft hands.
I thought that person was a "dandy"? And that "dude" was supposed to be the opposite (in other words, somebody cool and manly)? Huh.

=== End of line (MCP)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I thought that person was a "dandy"? And that "dude" was supposed to be the opposite (in other words, somebody cool and manly)? Huh.

=== End of line (MCP)
They didn't call them Dandy Ranches.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Theres a Brokeback Mountain joke in there somewhere...